Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Ideas for extra durability for ANY rc

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Ideas for extra durability for ANY rc

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 AM
strtzpmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for extra durability for ANY rc

i wanted to start a post for making an rc more durable with homemade materials....

i was thinkin of constructing a metal brace for all parts that are easy break targetsfor my new truck.
i will be using either copper/alluminum/steel/or some other alloy thin sheet that i could cut with my dremel and then bolt-on overparts that would swnap easy on the truck when extreme bashing comes into play....or making a mistake that will ruin your day.

for example an a arm is potientially easy to break part so i will cut the sheet to acloned metal a-armon top and one on bottom, overlapping the edgesthen drill holes where neccessary so that it can be screw/bolted securly to it(not into the arm but on the overlappededges on the side of the arms)...then it will flex but not enough to break and wont send the shock elsewhere like all alluminum arms do because the plastic, itwill just be reinforced by the top and bottom layers of sheet metal. see my point? there are many parts you can do this with and you could save big in your pocket....cheap, easy, and usefull.

my old rustler broke its front bumper first use..made a 70degree bend in a 6 3/4 long -4 1/2 wide sheet and screwed it to the chassis and never had to replace and front part becuase it would either bump up into the air or throw what ever was in its way out! and i loved it.

got any ideas you can think of and share??
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM
RCToysNh

Default RE: Ideas for extra durability for ANY rc

ORIGINAL: strtzpmp

i wanted to start a post for making an rc more durable with homemade materials....

i was thinkin of constructing a metal brace for all parts that are easy break targetsfor my new truck.
i will be using either copper/alluminum/steel/or some other alloy thin sheet that i could cut with my dremel and then bolt-on overparts that would swnap easy on the truck when extreme bashing comes into play....or making a mistake that will ruin your day.

for example an a arm is potientially easy to break part so i will cut the sheet to a cloned metal a-arm on top and one on bottom, overlapping the edges then drill holes where neccessary so that it can be screw/bolted securly to it(not into the arm but on the overlapped edges on the side of the arms)...then it will flex but not enough to break and wont send the shock elsewhere like all alluminum arms do because the plastic, it will just be reinforced by the top and bottom layers of sheet metal. see my point? there are many parts you can do this with and you could save big in your pocket....cheap, easy, and usefull.

my old rustler broke its front bumper first use..made a 70degree bend in a 6 3/4 long - 4 1/2 wide sheet and screwed it to the chassis and never had to replace and front part becuase it would either bump up into the air or throw what ever was in its way out! and i loved it.

got any ideas you can think of and share??
Some parts are made to 'give' under stress. this keeps shock in one spot and not sending it elsewhere in the drive line.Works the same as crumple zones on full size autos. We have seen some parts being replaced, on front ends especially, only to have motor mounts sheer off completely from shock transfer.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
chevyderek72

Well if you did that with the arms, even if you hit something straight on with your wheel it would break the a arm off. If i were you i would just keep it how it is, but buy some spares, they are cheap so if they break you can just replace. I just buy parts that will break like hubs and hub carriers and arms, cause they break most so i can just replace. I was at the track the other day and i broke my rear hub, but i had a couple spares so i just replaced it real fast, and the dog bone fell out, and i didnt wanna look for it so i just put a new one in. Beefing something up thats supposed to break will send the shock somehwere else like rctoys said.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM
strtzpmp

well that kinda sucks.....i just wish that would make a car out of titanium or some other light strong alloy
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 PM
chevyderek72

Just buy some spares like arms and hubs that are knows to break easiest.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to mention, if you was to add a buncha metal bracing your rc weight would go nuts...have to upgrade the engine big time just to get performance out of it...
like Derrick said...if your new to rc (heck even if your not) just buy spares of parts that usually break...front arms, tie rods, shocks and bumpers...
with that said I would bet most people with experience on here will agree with me that as you run more you will find you break less parts...alotta the time when your new its driver error, but as you learn to control your rc you will break less
The following users liked this post:
RCRFan29 (06-19-2020)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
chevyderek72

So true randy, when i started out i was breakin parts all the time, but i only break things now cause i mess up. Like im not used to driving at the track so when i go off a jump and im nose down, sometimes i hit the brakes for some reason haha. Then i hit head first and do some sweet cartwheels. So thats the only reason i broke. But if i dont mess up i almost never break stuff.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nose down means throttle....rear down means brakes.....lol.....I know ya know that....I do that too....I dont know, I might not be good at racing cause I get all excited and screw up..lol....
Old 08-18-2009, 12:22 AM
chevyderek72

Ya haha, plus im just not used to driving at the track yet. I dont have much to jump around my house so im not used to controlling it in the air, gotta get the hang of it. like ill be in the air and i know i gotta hit the throttle, but sometimes i just hit the brakes thinking that will slow me down or something haha. Never works though But im goin to the track tomorrow again so ill get some practice in.