Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New Buggy - Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Wildisme02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buggy - Truck

I am still debating between the Backdraft 8E, Volcano EPX Pro, Or a rockslide RS10. I currently own a Traxxas Nitro Sport so I do not want to buy another stadium truck.

My choices are mixed a 1/10 scale buggy I feel would get stuck in spots just like my NS so I am looking at maybe the 1/8th buggy, the Volcano EPX Pro because of its size as well, or the rockslide(only good for crawling due to slow top speed)

I am really leaning towards the Backdraft, I currently own a Nitro and for some reason thought that offroad electric was a joke. Until I saw a few of them running at my local hobby shop. Then it made me think, no Gas, no glow plugs & priming the engine, No Mess! So I looked into a few cars and came upon Redcatracing.com. I was very interested in the products there and figured id do more research. I've seen just about every video I could find of the backdraft both electric and nitro & I am loving the durability and look of it. I know the 3.5 is rated to 50mph, What is the 8E rated to? Also if I were to upgrade batteries to say closer to 5000Mah would it help? I am also currious as to how long the kit LIPO batteries run and how long they take to charge. The electric guys I talked to said they avoid the down time with extra batteries but an extra 4 batteries start adding up cost compared to just running Nitro.

Can anyone tell me the top speed, run time, charge time, and advantages or disadvantages to running bigger batteries? Or am I better off getting the 3.5 and just stick with the Nitro Fuel like i'm used to?

Thanks
Cordero
Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: New Buggy - Truck

Ive seen the aftershock run, which is the short course version of the buggy and its sick. I think redcat clocked it at 50, or 47 or something like that bone stock. If you can, i would go 1/8th scale, but i have the vortex epx that was origionally brushed, but i put an ezrun brushless in and i love it. But me and a buddy saw redcat chris runnin his aftershock at the track last saturday and my buddy ended up pickin one up, its sick. Can take a beating too. But it just depends. The 1/8ths costs more but can take more of a beating. Im not sure about the stock runtime on the backdraft but going to a 5000mah verses the 3200mah i think it is will give you a longer run time. And about electric vs nitro, it just depends on you, electric costs more if you buy extra batteries to get a good amount of run time in, but you dont have to pay for gas and glow plugs. But the nitros can run all day without charging, and its a real motor. They both have their ups and downs, but it depends on the person.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:47 PM
nubzorz

Well if you have the money electric is the way to go but it gets costly lipos arent cheap and if your not familiar with how to charge them and take care of them properly they wont last very long youll need a lipo charger with balancer which again isnt cheap and youll need at least 2-4 lipos buying all of that stuff is going to be very expensive probly more than you paid for the car. But if you have the money go for it. if your going to go for a 1/8th buggy i would deffinatly get the nitro version. I cant say much about the backdraft ive never driven one but ive heard very good things about them and ali has a great product review on them you should check out if you havent already.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure on what kinda money your wanting to spend I realize you made a list of certain rc's you like....I ALWAYS suggest 1/8th....sure 1/10ths will get the job done and you will have fun...but beings your already into rc and know you like it I would drop the extra coin and get the hurricane xrt...will be more durable and take more abuse then the backdraft (guy's I'm not saying the backdradt is weak or anything)...also another perk with the hurricane xrt is if later on you want to try your hand at racing your almost already there, wouldnt need a buncha stuff...but if you buy the backdraft and later you decide to race you will have to buy a totally new buggy...

now some will say you need a better buggy to race...not true...racing is first and formost spose to be fun...how fun is dumping $1500 into a rig and find out racing isnt your thing....and I know people (and fixing to start myself) that race simuliar buggies ...I say simuliar buggies as I have learned I WAS WRONG (yaa I will admit it when it happens) that the hurricane is pretty much the same buggy as the himoto rxb, but have since found there is more variences then I had thought.....which buggy is better?...not going there....all I know is my buggy is extreamly solid and handles better then the redcat hurricane xp and himoto torpeda....and I also know (personal experience) that the redcat hurricane xp is a solid basher once you get the front hubs issue solved (which is VERY easy)...and I would bet that Darin (redcats ceo) wouldnt replace the hurricane xp with a less buggy...that would make zero sense....

hope this helps

p.s I know he said ZERO about racing...but ya never know..when I first started I didnt think anything about it and now I wanna give it a try....look ahead and save money in the long haul
Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 AM
Wildisme02

Well I do have 2 tracks about 45min from my house that offer both indoor/outdoor. However they are both 1/10th tracks so a 1/8th might be a little harder to run there. I really enjoy running my little nitro sport around the house but i think my neighbors are getting a littleannoyedwith the nitro. I went with nitro because i though electric was a joke until I saw the E-Revo running. This is why I am looking into the Backdraft. I like the 1/8th ability to go over a little more then 1/10th can plus itsquite compared toa nitro.

I did give RCR a call today, Top speed 50mph and will outrun 3.5 due to quicker acceleration to 50mph. batteries run 10-15min and come with a 4 hr charger. I usually only run about 2 tanks in my NS on days that i run it so im guessing about 30-40min run time. I am thinking a set of 7.4v 8000mah batteries might due the trick, if they fall short I always have the kit batteries to get that extra run time.

If i ever do decide to race I could go get some 10k-12k mah batteries. Expensive but thats if I get serious into this, Another thing is I travel alot for work and I have some coworkers in another state that i sometimes meet up with. I will pack an extra suitcase and bring the NS with and they usually bring their cars too. However I can not pack nitro fuel so we have to search for fuel when we get to our work sites. Sometimes we can not find a store selling fuel within 45min or so from our hotel and we dont get to run at all. I bring the Micro-T (Very fun to have in a hotel room) for a little fun too but Im thinking getting electric might help with those fuel finding problems. If I ever decide to go back to 1/10th I can get anotherelectricand run the same batteries. kit batteries on backdraft would be nice upgrades to something like the Volcano or Tornado EXP Pros.

Iappreciateeveryones input on this, Ive been online every night since i seen that E-Revo just researching batteries and cars. However if anyone has a suggestion on another 1/8th brushless near same prices Id be interested. Everything else I've found seems to be close to double the price of Redcats products. However Redcat seems to be a pretty reliable product, Volcano seems to have some issues with parts but everything else seems to be pretty good.

Once again Thanks everyone for the comments, you can continue to comment here if you have any other suggestions or advice.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
chevyderek72

There is no problem getting parts for the volcano.