Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.0 Questions!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
strtzpmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.0 Questions!!!!

hi im new to the forum but not to rc... i have been looking at many of the full starter packs on ebay that come with everything: starter pack and batts. fuel. redcat seems to be the way to go for cheap deals...i found a Earthquake 3.0 and a tornado bb and dont know with to choose...i want the large truck but cant find many upgrades for it in alluminum orother metals for hard bashing and road racing i dont have enough money to tossto gear every minute so i was wondering if the gears and plastic or not also...but for the money i expect it to not be super high quality....i just want to drive around like i would with a 10 dollar walmart car....not worrying about stippimng gear and breaking parts for normal driving conditions or minute bumps.....just wantto ask any earthquake owners what the full specs are and how they are with jumping or normal driving...l.should i buy or get the buggy....where to get replacment parts....most sites dont have more then 2-3 parts that ive searched for...and i was wondering is there ANY compatible full alluminum kits like t-maxx or savage that i can throw on it...i just dont want to get something that i cant get parts for without searching forever...i really just want to be able to toss a full kit on it so i dont have to buy part to part and pay alot more...thank you for your time...its greatly apprieciated

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-R-C-Nitro-Ga...d=p3286.c0.m14

thats the monster!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:06 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Earthquake 3.0 Questions!!!!

Redcat has many cars, trucks and buggys. It can be hard to choose between the buggy or truck. If you are looking for great speed and some lighter off roading get a buggy. But if you want to bash and do alot of off roading get the truck. The truck will be a little slower then the buggy but will hold up better with abuse. Also Redcat has The tornado S30 Which comes with the Sh motor with the tuned pipe instead of the VX-18 motor with the stock exhaust. Just so you know the Tornado is a 1/10 buggy and the earthquake 3.0 is a 1/8th scale truck. The Redcat Cladera 3.0 or Volcano would be the same comparison to the buggy as those trucks are the 1/10th trucks same scale as the tornado. As far as upgrades for the Earthquake,Caldera,Backdraft,Aftershock and Vortex, They are new models and it is going to take time for redcat to get upgrades out. As far as the parts, yes you will be able to get the parts for all of the redcats, redcat even keeps parts for models they no longer make which is great.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont believe a truck is more durable and will take more abuse then a buggy....especially when your talking about redcat, himoto or exceed rc's as USUALLY the buggy and the trucks are on the same platform and share alot of the same parts/part #'s......really its on your preference of truck or buggy...but the buggy will be faster and noticeable faster at that
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
UrcHobby

ORIGINAL: firebird78

I dont believe a truck is more durable and will take more abuse then a buggy....especially when your talking about redcat, himoto or exceed rc's as USUALLY the buggy and the trucks are on the same platform and share alot of the same parts/part #'s......really its on your preference of truck or buggy...but the buggy will be faster and noticeable faster at that
The Tornado and Earthquake are not on the same platform. They not even close. Even the Tornado or Caldera are not, The tornado and the Volcano are though. But Use different transmissions and control arms. And I'm sure a 1/8th Earthquake is going to take more abuse then the 1/10th scale Tornado.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:28 PM
firebird78

the tornado and earthquake are from 2 versions as the tornado is an older offering and the earthquake is new.....but like the hurricane xp and the avalanche xp were basically the same rc...just different gearing and body mounts...heck even the typhoon onroader was the same..the biggest difference on the monsoon xp was the longer arms.....redcat hasnt launced a new 1/10th nitro buggy so you cant compare them....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z9gneZkmzo

I suppose you call this LIGHT offroad use

I would be shocked if the earthquake 3.5, backdraft 3.5 and aftershock 3.5 were totally different platforms and dont share alot of the same parts...I would look but redcat hasnt posted parts for them...likewise for the 3.0 models
Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM
UrcHobby

I suppose you call this LIGHT offroad use

I would be shocked if the earthquake 3.5, backdraft 3.5 and aftershock 3.5 were totally different platforms and dont share alot of the same parts...I would look but redcat hasnt posted parts for them...likewise for the 3.0 models
Thats not a 1/10th scale buggy. There is a very big (HUGE) difference between a 1/10th scale buggy and your 1/8 Buggy. Yes the Earthquake and Backdraft are on the same platform. Now back to his question, Is the 1/10 going to be as strong as a 1/8th scale?????
Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM
firebird78

nope didnt say it would be....you said a truck will be more durable and take more abuse then a buggy....this is not true.....yeah the earthquake will be more durable then the tornado but was not what you said...but one should also mention the earthguake 3.5, backdraft 3.5 and aftershock 3.5 are ultralight 1/8ths and will not take the abuse a hurricane xrt will ....which will most likely out bash any other rc redcat offers, all but the 1/5ths and monsoon xrt...and I wouldnt doubt it can out bash them also
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM
UrcHobby

nope didnt say it would be....you said a truck will be more durable and take more abuse then a buggy....this is not true.....yeah the earthquake will be more durable then the tornado but was not what you said...but one should also mention the earthguake 3.5, backdraft 3.5 and aftershock 3.5 are ultralight 1/8ths and will not take the abuse a hurricane xrt will....which will most likely out bash any other rc redcat offers, all but the 1/5ths...and I wouldnt doubt it can out bash them also
Did you even read what was written??? He said "i found a Earthquake 3.0 and a tornado bb and dont know with to choose" and he also wrote " i want the large truck but cant find many upgrades for it in alluminum orother metals for hard bashing" Then I said "It can be hard to choose between the buggy or truck. If you are looking for great speed and some lighter off roading get a buggy. But if you want to bash and do alot of off roading get the truck." I was not comparing a 1/8th buggy with a 1/8th truck I was comparing a 1/10th buggy and a 1/8th truck." Then I continued with "Just so you know the Tornado is a 1/10 buggy and the earthquake 3.0 is a 1/8th scale truck" Where did I compare a 1/10 buggy to 1/10th truck or even a 1/8th buggy to a 1/8th truck??? I didn't I was comparing HIS question about a 1/10th buggy to a 1/8th truck....
Old 08-16-2009, 06:19 PM
firebird78

your post could be misleading...I just wanted to clear it up...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
chevyderek72

Ive saw the new redcat aftershock 8E run at my local track yesterday, and i can tell you it can take some abuse. Two guys were driving hitting each other, one was atually redcat chris, and doing cartwheels and stuff. Everyone at the track that i heard talk about said it was sick, one guy said if he didnt buy his sc8 he would think about buying the aftershock. The owner said if he is gonna carry something, it has to have his stamp of approval, and it did. So that shows that it can bash, if it can be up to par with other top brands.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 AM
strtzpmp

im really buggin on the choice because i really only have 230-250 to spend on EVERYTHING(Car, Starter kit, Gas, Batteries)...no more then that untill later becuase this is my last big check of the summer and i wanted a nitro rc agian...i think im gunna go with the 1/8earthquake 3.0 sh18 semi silver...it looks like a beast! i wishthere was just a compatible kit like these for it:
http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_SuKit...t3035green.htm

why not it would replace alomsteverything and if not just buy what ever it needs to complete it...only if the arms would go on

i dont have a credit card i just use the ebay gift cards to purchase online...so shipping is a problem with all different things im going to need...i wish they wouldnt call it a rtr unless u can pull it out and drive without buying anything else...that probably wouldgravitate more people buy that never have becuase they dont have to search and buy the extras sepratley...thats why im buying this kit online it has everything included except locktite which it seems im going to need agian...anyone know of local stores that would carry it (staples?)....my hobbyshop is kinda a rip off and he barely has anything

thank you agian...im ssooooooo excited about it...i just hope it doesnt let me down...and break first or second time out or a gear strip cuz then its gunna be in the box for a while....got to many bills....soare they steel gears or plastic?
Full ball bearings?
what are the wheel hex mm? want to throw the t-maxx spinner wheels on it
Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: strtzpmp
except locktite which it seems im going to need agian...anyone know of local stores that would carry it
Any automotive parts store has loctite...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM
chevyderek72

If you dont wanna stip your gears and break things, then set it up right, mesh your gears right, and do all the maintenance before your run, its worth it.

It should be bearings, and im not sure about the hex but i think its 12mm, if so you can buy an adapter to fit t maxx wheels but not outa the box if its 12mm

Its ready to run because you dont have to put the car together, like on a kit, or put it your own engine or electronics. But you still need batteries fuel and extras like a glow ignitor and tools. Coming with everything costs money, and more money turns people away. So say it was a total package and it costs more, someone might look at that and say well i dont wanna spend that money, even knowiing it comes with everything. Plus people like different fuels, so they cant make it come with fuel cause if that person doesnt want that fuel they wont buy it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
strtzpmp

well thank you all for the input and im glad i searched around more for parts....im deffintly going with the quake....i think its gunna be sick!! i just hope everything is fine out of the box so i dont have to wait for a new radio or something defective to be replaced, seems like the redcat support is better than any i have dealt with previosly...great support usually ends up costing extra lol so ill post pics when it comes and how do you know the gears are meshed properly on it? and what needle adjustments does it have? just wondering if the sh18 will be a pain or dream....i hope its better than my crappy trx.15

Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM
firebird78

the sh.18 is easy to tune and holds it quite well...just be sure to take your time and set up you radio, check you gear meshand locktite all screws going into metal (oreilys, autozone or any othe automotive parts store can hook you up...just remember BLUE!!!)....I disassymble my rc's and put fluids in the diff's shocks and all that good stuff, making sure everything is tight and ready to go...that way I know EVERY screw on the rc is tight....by doing this you will save yourself alotta headaches...to check gear mesh (spur gear to clutch bell) can be done by feeding a piece of paper between them as you roll the rc....should feed smoothly and make the paper look like a accordian....may put small punctures in the paper on the ends....other gears (like diffs) they should turn easy without binding and alotta movement..kinda a feel thing
Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 PM
army2000ng
My Feedback: (3)

I've got an earthquake 3.5 that I bash around, it seems to hold pretty good. The buggy is faster, but has low clearence. The tuning was pretty simple, all I replaced was the yellow filter. Both offer great challenges, and do carry parts. The Earthquake is the new guy in the market so don't expect all those fancy parts like the traxxas. But, as I have traxxas and HPI, I seem to be able to mix parts very well. If you want a truck for jumping with high clearence with a .18 or .21 engine than the earthquake is better and cheaper than the rest of the 1/8 out there. If you want a buggy for sand, asfault, smaller jumps, than the buggy is the one for you. Some buggies do jump pretty high. Just ask yourself what do you want it for and why, then choose. Hope this helps.