Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Just got a Volcano SV.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just got a Volcano SV.

OK - so if you were able to lift the vehicle by the pullstart, then the pinch is good. The only other major issue with the engine could be a crank or con rod. I assume the engine turns freely? If it turns freely, are you getting compression? You should be able to tell when the engine comes to the top and gets tougher and when it passes top dead center and gets easier.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

so did you take it to the shop and what did they say. if it was me i would contact the place you got it and get a replacement. something just doesnt sound right.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
dakotanut

I got it to start last night. I spent more time with me electric Rustler. It wouldn't run even with the Sidewinder system in it. I had to buy a new receiver for it. That Rustler moves now! It is so fast I can barely control it. OMG! The battery is still going. We played with it for like and hour and a half. Played with it this morning and it still has sooooo much go left.
Ok. I did get the Volcano to start. It still wouldn't idle. I noticed that the fuel line by the gear had a massive hole in it. So I think that is why. I'm going out here in a bit to try it all again. I bought new glow plugs for it. They are O.S. a3's. I fixed the fuel line and couldn't get it to start. I think it was getting air and fuel at the same time. That is why it was running and still idle was kinda high. I just don't know.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

i had the same problem with my onroad hpi rs4. the way they had the fuel line routed i didnt realize it was touching the spur gear and i was running it and all of a sudden it jsut died and i couldnt figure it out for sometime. i fixed the fuel line and good to go. Nitro is a *****. i most likely wouldnt deal with it as long as you have i would of prolly had it brought back by now.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
chazmadaz

i have the s30 kit in mine with aluminum shocks performance pipe and header i think its great if your just bashing i think that kit will be fine the plastic a arms in it suck definently get the kit you can buy it on ebay for 100$
Old 09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
dakotanut

Well, it looks like my dang glow plug igniter is dead. Went to the hobby shop and tried it there, he put my igniter on it and it wouldn't start. He noticed that the carb wasn't open 1 mm with full brake on or something like that. Put his high dollar igniter on it and wallah, it started and ran. Fun tonight! I broke a shock on my Rustler. So it is out of commission for a bit. LOL. It is hard to stop once it gets going. So much fun though. Can't wait until the Nitro Volcano gets going.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

so whats the word on the SV?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
dakotanut

It will run for a bit. I can get it to start and then it stops on its own. I start it again and get the same results. Is this just tuning? I'm going to go play with it some more at lunch. See if I have something wrong. Any more suggestions?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
chevyderek72

It might be loading up with fuel, try leaning your lsn a little bit.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: dakotanut

Well, it looks like my dang glow plug igniter is dead. Went to the hobby shop and tried it there, he put my igniter on it and it wouldn't start. He noticed that the carb wasn't open 1 mm with full brake on or something like that. Put his high dollar igniter on it and wallah, it started and ran. Fun tonight! I broke a shock on my Rustler. So it is out of commission for a bit. LOL. It is hard to stop once it gets going. So much fun though. Can't wait until the Nitro Volcano gets going.
1mm idle gap - Adjust the brake so there is no tension on the throttle crank when applied. Also check that the tension on the throttle linkage spring is not too high or at the end of the stroke.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
dakotanut

Ok. After further evaluation, the gas tank seemed a little empty. Could this be the cause? Duh Bill! Filled up the tank and started it right up and ran 1 tank through it finally. I had fuel coming out of the exhaust pipe. Only thing is that the head wasn't really very hot. Do I have some more adjusting to do? It ran and the tires moved a little while it was idleing. I'm not sure. I bet yall are going, "This guy sucks! He needs to stick with electric and get out of nitro!" I wouldn't blame you for saying or thinking that. I sure appreciate yalls patience with me. You don't know how much. All I can say is THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

No your fine and the fuel coming out of your exhaust is perfectly normal for break in. This video is prolly the best break in video ive seen yet. cant fail.

watch this break in video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_dmf1b7Jow

Remember even after break in and you start actually tuning your Truck you still dont want to run it hard take it easy for a bit maybe a tank or two after break in then you can start to go Crazy.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 PM
chevyderek72

Haha no way man we love helpin people out, thats why we are here. Everyone was in your position once
Old 09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

yeah dont stress it we have all been in your shoes. i had a very hard time breaking in my hpi rs4 evo+ the rotostart system it came with SUCKED and would not turn the engine over. we finaly got it but i can tell you it took forever. it took me putting a pullstart on the engine wich cost 15 bucks to do this.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 PM
dakotanut

I also got the pull start for my Volcano. Yall aren't gonna believe this. I haven't even finished breaking the motor in and I already have 3 bent/broken shocks and both front axles came out of it. Found one but not the other one. I may try to bend the shocks out and get them to work. How the axles and shocks broke is anyone's guess. I never hit anything or ran into anything. I was just doing figure 8's like the videos said to. I'm wondering how in the world this happened. Are the stock shocks that cheap? The pin that holes the lower right front control arm on also came out. That is due to the bumper being broken. This thing definitly isn't like electric. I've done some crazy stuff with my Traxxas Rustler and honestly only broken caster blocks on it. Well, the body also. They all break at some point. I haven't broken but 1 shock on it. Also, one of the perches the spring rests on also came off. Yall have any suggestions on how to keep this stuff from coming off and from coming out? I need 3 shocks, 1 axle, spring perch, and a front bumper. It broke where it mounts to the aluminum frame in the front.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
chevyderek72

You had to have hit something, ive never bent a stock shock shaft, i have on my upgraded one but i hit my truck tire at full speed, and it just bent a little, bent it back and works great. If your bog bones are fallin out put small pieces of fuel tubing in the drive cups to make sure it stays in there, but doesnt bind when the suspension compresses
Old 09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
dakotanut

I was told that but don't know exactly how to do it. You have any diagrams or pics? That would help. I never hit anything. I only hit something after I lost the dogbones and bent the shocks.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
chevyderek72

Ill see if i can get some pics in a few here, or tomorrow mornin. But basically where the end of the dog bone goes in you cut a thin sliver of fuel tubing off and put it in each side. That way it doesnt have enough slack to fall out, but when your suspension compresses it doesnt tighten up on the dog bone, cause that will mess things up.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
dakotanut

I can't picture this for some reason. Do I lay it flat in there or put over the dog bone and then put it in? Do I need both sides or just on one side?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
dakotanut

Well I just want to thank all of yall. I just ran 2 tanks of fuel thru my Volcano and it is awesome! Not as fast as my Rustler with the Sidewinder system but it will go thru grass and the Rustler won't. LOL. I followed the instructions on the Redcat site and from all of yall and it runs great. I may need to do some small adjustments but not much. I put the filter on it and ran it up and down the street. Soooo COOL! I'm happy. Thanks to all of yall for the help. If I need any more can I call on yall again? I love the smell of nitro and the sound and the power it has. I may just switch to nitro permanently. I've got to work on my Rustler now. YES!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

i carry all the hop ups on my site but i can't advertise the name ask around you will get a link.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
delorean123

Well....Looks like I'm the new guy now with the Volcano S30...Just bought minutes ago..It should arrive next week I'm told...
Any suggestions or advice on the truck...???.....I already own a Tamiya TNX 5.2R...How is this truck going to compare to the Volcano S30...???
Thanks in advance,,,
Jamie
Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 PM
dakotanut

Not sure. Keep it away from trees and curbs. I bent my chassis already and had to get a new one. I was told to get better shocks. The Redcat Racings Ultralite series vehicles shocks. Or you can get T Maxx shocks off of ebay and use them. You will need longer screws and some sleeves. Make sure that the brake/throttle servo is set correctly and that the brake side doesn't bind up. Tighten all of the screw that go into plastic and locktite all of the ones that screw into metal. Get some glow plugs and make sure the glow plug igniter is charged. Watch that receiver on/off switch. It is kinda weak. Depending on what body you get, you may need to cut some holes for the motor to cool. OH! This is very important. Get some fuel line and put it in the cups (inside and outside) on the front dog bones. They will come out if you don't. Follow the break in instructions very carefully. There is some links in this sub forum about it under Redcat Racing. Good luck. It is a blast to drive.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 AM
chevyderek72

Nice, looks like dakota covered it. Oh and make sure you leave your piston at bdc if you didnt know.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 AM
dakotanut

X 2! I forget about that. OMG!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.