Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Help starting Hurricane XTR!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 AM
LuD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help starting Hurricane XTR!

Hey guys!

I have been waiting to get my Hurricane XTR broken in over the past month or two, and yesterday I spent over two hours trying to get the thing started with no luck...

The issue is that it sound like it WANTS to start, but stops immediately. I checked everything including glow plug, igniter, fuel lines, carb settings, and needle settings. I was able to get it to run for a second or two, but immediately after removing the glow plug igniter, the motor would just stop. Also, today it ran for a few seconds without the igniter, but stopped immediately again...

I thought maybe it was running too rich and it was being flooded, but I don't know that for sure. I tried best to see what the default needle settings are for the SH .28, but nothing is working.

Do you guys have any clues why I can't get this thing started? I thought these motors had great settings from the factory, yet, I'm having a hell of a time with it. Even though I tried two different glow plugs, I will be going and picking up a few more new ones today to try that as well.

Thanks for any input. My blisters and cuts will thank you!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help starting Hurricane XTR!

I had a couple sh.28's that were set plum wrong from the factory....

I know u been in the game fer a bit so its got me thinkin its either the settings or possibly the head is lose and needs to be tightened

I assume the first thing you did was turn the radio equip. on and set the idle...making sure it doesnt change when you apply brake...do you know how many turns from all in your low and high are set?...I'm thinkin 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 on the high and 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 on the low should fire it up...
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
LuD

Of course, I made sure the idle was set right over a few weeks ago. I set my low 2 1/2 and high 2 1/2.

I just keep thinking that it's flooding, cause after I pull the glow plug out, and give it a few rips, it seems to start for a few seconds and then dies again... I keep getting fuel to pour out of the exhaust when I tip the car on it's side...

I'll try again tomorrow and see what I can do. I'm just starting to give up on this thing...
Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
chevyderek72

It sounds kinda like what my sh .28 does. Sometimes i gotta give it some gas, so i put the ignitor on, then put my radio on top of the ignitor to hold it on then pull start it while giving it a little gas, then i keep the rpm up to stay running till it warms up a little. You could try that, cause mine would do that, almost start like it wants to but doesnt, then i give it a little more gas and BOOM, it starts.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:40 PM
firebird78

might be a lil fat on the bottom...have ya ever tried to lean it up a bit on the bottom Derek?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM
chevyderek72

Im not sure, i never really thought about it, cause it would start perfect sometimes, then others it wouldnt. But i cant get that motor tuned anymore, i think it needs a new piston and sleeve now [&o] But its actually in the earthquake, and im selling it cause i need the cash and im keepin the cane to race it [>:] Ill have to come out to kansas so we can do some racing lol
Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 AM
firebird78

anytime....come on out...come to think about it I have had a sh.28 that I had to give a lil throttle to get it to start....maybe half throttle...I put a xtm 457 sleeve in it and have only idled a tank out of it....its in one of my torpedas, and I hardly ever run my torpedas anymore..lol
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM
LuD

Well I wanted to put one of my drillstart backplates on the motor, and it came with my kit that I bought a while back for my Tornado... Seems one of my motor mount hex bolts got stripped on the bottom, so stupid me decides to take the motor OFF the mounts... What complete pain in the butt putting all of that back together! Jesus, took me like 1 1/2 hours! Come to find out, my backplate fits where the pullstart goes, but the nut is too big... So no go there, had to put the pullstart back on and put it all back together. I feel like such a stupid butt.

I am going to give it a little gas like you guys said while trying to start it. I'm going to do that in a few minutes, and see how it goes!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
shotgun32

hey all, now don't laugh... I have a sh28 in a cane xtr, month and half old at most, 15 tanks through it.... ok the LSN has to beclosed tight. Go ahead and laugh now. I forget but think the HSN is 2 7/8 but no BS, the LSN is closed tight. Now I compared the lsn visuallyto a new, never started needle from ash21, and they were identical, I swapped them and same thing, has to be closed. When it is closed, it idles beauty, take off is sluggish and if it sits to long will die from flooding. Mid and top is great. I think the jet or carb is f_____. LuD my two cents, try leaning it out a bit. Do the pinch test, get it runnin, to temp, let it idle for a sec and pinch the fuel line close to the input as possible till dies. Speeds up for awhile, lean it. Dies instantly, richen it, speeds for second then dies, go for a rip.
I Got a new carb coming Thursday to swap it with, stay tuned and will let you's know, if you care.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
LuD

I will try that! I got it running today, it happened to be a miracle. I think I have the HSN and LSN around 2 turns each. After idling through a tank, and then easing up on it through the next two, it's very sluggish from a stop and even top end... I have more work to do. But I'll have to lean it out even more I suppose!

Other than that, the darn wheels just locked up. The motor revs, but it doesn't go anywhere and the brakes aren't engaged... Is this a clutch issue? And is there a quick fix for this?...

I ran my Tornado BB today, and that did great until it started grinding and not moving. I think I blew something. Perhaps the clutch... I don't know where to look or what to do to figure the problem out. I will say, that SH is TWICE as loud as my XTM / Tornado motors...

Any idea why my two Redcats are acting up now?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
LuD

Shotgun, I got the Hurricane out again today, and while it idles quite fine, I was having troubles tuning it in, although I didn't screw in the HSN all the way like you said. I was trying little by little, and then the rain came! AGH!

I was actually getting it up to speed by leaning it out, but it almost seemed like it was backfiring, and then just dying... It did it like three times while accelerating long before top speed. Any clues as to why it's doing this?

This damn thing seems to be the most difficult nitro I've owned YET! The damn thing does scream that's for sure, but I won't be able to tune it up again until later today, or tomorrow... I hope I can get it to sing!

I figured since I stripped one of the motor mount hex's, I will see if I can dig up my dremel and use a flathead to get it to move again... My gear mesh was too loose, so I unbolted the motor from the mount and moved it around until it passed the strip-o-paper test. Seems to be fine right now, but I'm hoping it doesn't chew up gears like my Tornado BB just did...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:52 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

i dont Rely on the paper trick at all. i do mine by eye.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
LuD

I wish I knew what to look for... When they start talking .1-.2mm gaps, I just freak out. I'm not that experienced with these things, and all I know is when it looks TOO tight, or TOO loose. I think it's just right at this point in time, but how would I know? If the thing just gets stripped, or should I eyeball the gears every time I get finished running them?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
LuD

I got out and was able to get the carb tuned a little bit better. Seems to stall often enough while accelerating, due to the HSN being impossible to set perfectly... I ran the tread off the middle of all the tires, burned up the shell all around the exhaust pipe and manifold too... After them car dies, it seems impossible to get it started up again... I'm having trouble keeping the thing running.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
firebird78

if the engine dies (and is hot) they areharder to start...let them cool then try

if your sluggish off the start an blue smoke ur to rich (lsn) if it dies and no smoke lean...
once u get going and lots of blue smoke with full throttle and sluggish your rich (hsn)...if it tries to or dies full throttle, no or very lil smoke your lean

I have a sh.21 8 port on my rxb that I am racing....kept fighting low end power (track is rather small with more turns then straights)...was losing so much time on corners cause I was to fat on the low end...would clean out on the straights and haul...anyways I ended up having to screw the lsn clear down to 1 1/4 turns from all in to get any low end power...engine runs cool though....was just scared to go that low, but all seems fine