Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Backdraft 8E questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Ezrem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backdraft 8E questions?

Does the Backdraft 8Ehave a standard size wheel hub so I can use ProLine wheels/tires? Iwas looking through the manual on redcatracing.com and Idon't see any specification for it.

Also, Iwas wondering about the upgrade parts...they're listed as stainless steel in the manual, which seems strange to me. Is that just mis-translated, and they are actually aluminum? What about availability/pricing of these parts?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Backdraft 8E questions?

I know that stock they are 12mm hexs, but they have the upgrade to make them 17mm.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ezrem

Does the Backdraft 8E have a standard size wheel hub so I can use ProLine wheels/tires? I was looking through the manual on redcatracing.com and I don't see any specification for it.

Also, I was wondering about the upgrade parts...they're listed as stainless steel in the manual, which seems strange to me. Is that just mis-translated, and they are actually aluminum? What about availability/pricing of these parts?
The Backdraft 8E hubs are normal 17mm hubs. As far as the option parts yes most of the option parts seem to be blue Anodized Aluminum. I have some instock in my store, you can check them out at http://www.urchobby.com/products.php...Draft+8E+Parts
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Ezrem

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Also, can you tell me whether the buggy uses hex or philips screws?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
UrcHobby

ORIGINAL: Ezrem

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Also, can you tell me whether the buggy uses hex or philips screws?
The Backdraft 8e uses philips screws.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
chevyderek72

Unless they changed the hexes from the first batch they are 12mm hexes, mark here on the forums has one and they are 12, he put slash tires on em for a bit.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

Unless they changed the hexes from the first batch they are 12mm hexes, mark here on the forums has one and they are 12, he put slash tires on em for a bit.
That is correct the kit to 17mm conversion is #BS17MM-KIT. We have them on our site if you want them. Also the Backdraft uses both phillips and hex screws, depends which part you are talking about.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
UrcHobby

You sure he does not have the aftershock? That comes with the 12mm hex hubs. I have never seen the backdraft 3.5 or even 8e come with the 12mm hexes and I have cars from the first shipment redcat recieved. The BS17MM-Kit is Used to upgrade the Aftershock 8E, 3.0, 3.5, Earthquake 3.0, 3.5, and Caldera 3.0 to 17mm wheel hubs.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
RedCat_Chris

Backdraft 8E, 3.5 are 17mm hexes and all standard 1/8th scale buggy wheels and tires will fit, The Aftershock 8E and 3.5 models are a 12mm hex and require an upgrade kit in order to convert them to 17mm hexes.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Cainlord

This vehicle looks interesting, can we get some more pics of all thats included, as well as various chassis shots from above, in front, behind, and below?

Also, will there be a Pro version, no electronics offered?

What size are the big bore shocks ?
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: Cainlord

This vehicle looks interesting, can we get some more pics of all thats included, as well as various chassis shots from above, in front, behind, and below?

Also, will there be a Pro version, no electronics offered?

What size are the big bore shocks ?
Pictures and specs here,

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=3771
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Cainlord

Yup, seen those. Looking for more detailed pics.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM
RCToysNh

Yup, seen those. Looking for more detailed pics.
OK Those show all the chassis details. Top and side.
What are you looking for ?
Old 09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Cainlord

pics without the electronics present from all the angles stated. Of the 4 pics on that link, i didn't see a bottom shot of the car to see the chassis from below.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Revolauncher

Same as the aftershock 8E:

Here you go:

...and yes it rules!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
RCToysNh

pics without the electronics present from all the angles stated. Of the 4 pics on that link, i didn't see a bottom shot of the car to see the chassis from below.

Sorry can't help you.Have no camera or Backdraft disassembled here in our shop.

Thanks revolauncher
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Cainlord

wow that looks pretty narrow, cool stuff. Thanks for the pic.

Do they have plans to offer a race level vehicle?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM
RCToysNh

wow that looks pretty narrow, cool stuff. Thanks for the pic.

Do they have plans to offer a race level vehicle?
Not in the Backdraft price range. We can build what ever you are looking for. How fast and how much do you want to spend ?
What classes you going to run ?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Cainlord

Well I am a racer first, basher none. Speed would only matter to me as far as what is raceable. For me if I was theorizing on what I would want on a race vehicle, I probably look for things along these lines:

1. Fully equipped with race level electronics (Tekin, etc) vehicle should come in just at ROAR weight minimum assuming 4000mah - 5000mah lipos for the 10 minute length mains.

2. top quality aluminum of sufficient thickness

3. Big Bore aluminum shocks in the 16mm and above range

4. Fully equipped with hex hardware. High quality hardware as well.

5. Race Rubber ala Proline M3 Crimefighters V2 rims or similar, or, no tires and rims, but price reflecting this.

6. Offered as a Kit only

7. Can't tell from the pics, but if not on the sport, definitely want fully captured hingepins

8. High quality bearings throughout the car

9. Graphite used where it could benefit the car instead of aluminum for weight (battery holddowns, etc)

10. Plastics of sufficient stiffness yet durability (not sure if the current plastics are soft or are race grade, haven't seen a car in these parts).

11. Low slung body

12. Comparably prices to other quality race kits like the Hyper 9E and Caster Fusion Pro.

This is just off the top of my head without getting into specifics on how the vehicle is currently setup (diffs, etc).

I think Redcat has something here from at least a layout perspective could be VERY interesting for racing purposes. Caster took there design and has really ran with it, Redcat probably could do the same.

Right now my ride is the Hyper 9E, and I prefer it because I like how close to the centerline the electronics and running gear is, plus, with the center diff moved back, it puts more weight forward on the chassis for amazing steering. that is also I reason I like how narrow the chassis from the pics I have seen looks on the car. Plus, I like how the batteries appear to be protected by the chassis, nothing hanging over if what I can tell is correct.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
RCToysNh

Well I am a racer first, basher none. Speed would only matter to me as far as what is raceable. For me if I was theorizing on what I would want on a race vehicle, I probably look for things along these lines:

1. Fully equipped with race level electronics (Tekin, etc) vehicle should come in just at ROAR weight minimum assuming 4000mah - 5000mah lipos for the 10 minute length mains.

2. top quality aluminum of sufficient thickness

3. Big Bore aluminum shocks in the 16mm and above range

4. Fully equipped with hex hardware. High quality hardware as well.

5. Race Rubber ala Proline M3 Crimefighters V2 rims or similar, or, no tires and rims, but price reflecting this.

6. Offered as a Kit only

7. Can't tell from the pics, but if not on the sport, definitely want fully captured hingepins

8. High quality bearings throughout the car

9. Graphite used where it could benefit the car instead of aluminum for weight (battery holddowns, etc)

10. Plastics of sufficient stiffness yet durability (not sure if the current plastics are soft or are race grade, haven't seen a car in these parts).

11. Low slung body

12. Comparably prices to other quality race kits like the Hyper 9E and Caster Fusion Pro.

This is just off the top of my head without getting into specifics on how the vehicle is currently setup (diffs, etc).

I think Redcat has something here from at least a layout perspective could be VERY interesting for racing purposes. Caster took there design and has really ran with it, Redcat probably could do the same.

Right now my ride is the Hyper 9E, and I prefer it because I like how close to the centerline the electronics and running gear is, plus, with the center diff moved back, it puts more weight forward on the chassis for amazing steering. that is also I reason I like how narrow the chassis from the pics I have seen looks on the car. Plus, I like how the batteries appear to be protected by the chassis, nothing hanging over if what I can tell is correct.
Then you are shopping in the wrong vehicle class.
No rollers available in the 8E Line.
The OFNA Hyper 9E roller runs around $430.00.
The Caster Racing Caster Fusion Pro roller runs around $450.00
We or you can build one to your specs but you are looking at a hefty price tag with electronics.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Cainlord

Well thats a shame then as if the vehicle has the goods, then there are going to be those looking for a race level roller, or, you can do a race roller similar to how the 8ight-E is if the electronics are up to snuff.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have not ruled out rollers on the 8E models as there have been numerous requests for them.

Compared to others Redcat is new and ultimately our plan is to get more into the race scene, but right now it is not our main focus.

The 8E models have only been out for a little over a month but already, there is a buzz about them. We sold out of the Aftershock 8E's very quickly and to be honest I have no idea how the word spread so fast. Granted they are great vehicles, but we have not done any marketing other than a few Youtube videos.

Regarding a roller, the initial plan will be the vehicle without batteries, motor, esc or remote. It would also come with an unpainted body. We want to also offer the roller with 17mm hubs and some other hopups already installed. No price is set yet but the goal is to start slow and offer some around late January or February.

Darin

Old 09-12-2009, 05:47 PM
chevyderek72

Ya sorry i was thinking the aftershock, but i figued they would be the same, thats weird that the buggy has 17 and the truck has 12.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Cainlord

Great. Hope it works out for you guys. Always good to see a new face shake up the old guard.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Revolauncher

12 mm. hex means it can utilize all the Slash wheel/tire combos. I prefer the 17mm. option too, but it is available as an upgrade already.Cainlord, they are 16mm. big bore shocks (alloys available as upgrade). A race configuration is definitely do-able, and could still come in well under the price point of the current offerings by Losi, Associated, etc. I'd go for it if there was a class in my area. The stock ESC, Motor would beplenty quickfor track time. Get some 5000mah 2 cell hard case Lipos and better radio gear and you would be quite happy. Even the stock servo is metal cased, geared, and quite durable. Veryquick turn-in, with 125 oz/in torque rating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.