Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Metal plate behind flywheel.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
LifeEscalade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal plate behind flywheel.

So I experienced some hard starting a half an hour ago so I tore down the flywheel of my VX .18 Engine to see that the metal plate behind the flywheel had ground down. I dont know if that could be the culprit behind all the hard starts. Also I had to set my throttle trim up to even be able to start the engine, and once i had reset the trim, the engine would stop. I was wondering if anyone knew a part number that I could order to replace this. If you guys need, I could take pics and upload them.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: Metal plate behind flywheel.

Pics would be good. Because there is no metal plate behind the fly wheel, unless you are talking about the flywheel locking ring. If that is the case, which side was tore up and was the flywheel loose when you took it off? If it's tore up on the engine side you could have some problems. If it's tore up on the flywheel side, how bad and can it be sanded down a tiny bit to work?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

The part behind the flywheel is a drive washer. What did it grind down on the bearing? The only way I could see it being a problem with it starting would be if it was coming in contact with the front bearing or crank case of the motor. Here is a pic of the drive washer. Let me know where it is grinding on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37945.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1283016  
Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 PM
BigDave09

it could also be a tuning issue if it stalls out whe u reset your trim
Old 09-27-2009, 03:01 AM
chevyderek72

Ya i was thinking its probably your idle screw, if it runs when high idling but when the idle drops it dies, your idle screw need to be turned in.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:45 PM
LifeEscalade

Yea, with the drive washer, the front of it (that comes in contact with the rear of the flywheel) had ground down. Today I reground some grooves in it the opposite way of the original grooves and replaced everything and tightened it down real good and it was working like a charm. Thanks for all the replies though!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Being, loose was throwing off the balance and stalling the engine or allowing the clutch shoes to rub against the fly wheel causing it to stall.