Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

*RedCat Racing Tornado EPX Thread*

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

*RedCat Racing Tornado EPX Thread*

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
chevyderek72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *RedCat Racing Tornado EPX Thread*

If you wanna go brushless look into the ezrun setup. There is a ezrun for 70, its actually a 380 sized rotor in a 540 can, so it wont have as much power, but for 70 bucks thats really cheap. A lot of people have used that kind and love it, there are even videos and you wouldnt be able to tell that technically its a smaller motor. im actually gonna pick one of those up soon here to put in my vortex, becuase i want one that not so fast. Then there is the ezrun for 100 that a real 540 motor. ive got the 8.5t in my volcano, and it flies. I love it.

The real 540 motors for ezrun have a .5 in them, like 8.5, 10.5, 13.5
But the 380 ones dont, like 9, 13, and so on.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Pererin

Hey all,

I've just bought a Tornado. Was wondering if its ok to run 3 cell lipos on it. Have been doing so (twice) with no problem at 1800mah. Is this likely to damage the brushless motor or ESP??
Old 12-02-2009, 12:26 AM
chevyderek72

Im not sure, i woudnt do it till you find out if you can for sure so you dont fry your esc.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM
hovermale9

I have a question... We just bought our 13yr son the Tornado EPX 1/10 brush less, but he has never had a remote control car. My question is, is there a way to control the speed until he can learn the basics with out breaking it? [:'(] Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
dialtone74

I just purchased a Redcat Tornado EPX Pro and I like it alot.  I have some of my Earthquake 8E Lipos that I put in there and it becomes a crazy fast car.  My question is what can I add to the car to have a low voltage cutoff.  I ran 1 lipo and I threw it on the charger.  Both cells were at 3.0 volts.  I know going below 3.2v is bad.  Can I program the Novotech ESC?  Any help would be great!!   Mark
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you got one of the controlers that has end point adjustments you can turn down the throtle to a safer level for your son.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Mickstix

ORIGINAL: dialtone74

My question is what can I add to the car to have a low voltage cutoff. Can I program the Novotech ESC? Any help would be great!! Mark
I dont know about your ESC, but they make lipo low voltage cutoffs (similar to a failsafe for nitro vehicles) Here's some from Novak that can be used with any ESC..
Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
rernewe

The response i got from Redcat was that the ESC is only good for 2s. The motor should be ok with 3s.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
dk_007

Hi guys ! I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd share what i know about the Tornado EPX Pro especially when it comes to the ESC and brushless motor. I'm currently running it on a 3-cell 5000mAH Lipo with no problems whatsoever. The only thing that you have to do though is power the fan straight from the receiver because if left hooked up to the ESC you'll just fry it. What I did was just cut a cable from an old servo i had and soldered the wires to the fan and hooked it up to the receiver.
Hope that helps you guys !

Take care
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM
jnuckols

Hi All. I just got a Tornado EXPPro on Friday. I'm having a problem with short run time. I only get about 2 or 3 full-throttle passes up and down the street in front of my house before the car won't do a full-throttle start. In other words, after the 2 or 3 passes, I have to accelerate the car slowly. If Ipunch it, it does not move. It doesn't look like the ESCis overheated, Ithink the ESCmanual says that one of the LEDs will blink if overheated. I changed the cut-out voltage setting on the ESCto "none".

I replaced the receiver with a Spektrum revceiver so I can use my Spektrum radio, otherwise the car is stock. I'm charging the battery with a Duratrax ICEcharger set to 6-cell NiMH and 2000 mAh. I've been through 4 charge/run cycles and it is still the same. The last time I ran the car today, I stopped when the car started acting up and put the battery on the charger's discharge. It discharged over 1000 mAh, half of the battery capacity.

For those couple of high-speed passes, the car is really fast and fun.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it can be running hot, check the motor temps and make sure nothing is binding, turn the wheels with the car turned off and see if they roll fairly easily.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM
jnuckols

I put a Spektrum SPM1600 receiver voltage protector on my receiver thinking that the receiver voltage droops under heavy throttle. That helped a lot. I get more run time, but I still can't make full throttle starts after the first couple of full throttle passes. I think that maybe the stock battery can't supply the heavy current for hard acceleration. I have a better battery on order, and I'll post after I get it. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 AM
jnuckols

The wheels turn freely, although I'd like to put ball bearings in this car if I can ever figure out which ones to buy. I guess it's time to get an infrared thermometer :-) I've been looking at them for a long time. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 AM
jnuckols

Well, it turns out that this already has ball bearings. The wheels are a little sloppier than Iwould have thought with bearings. Maybe that will clean up when Iget aluminum hub carriers.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
jnuckols

Well, I can't test my theory about the battery yet because the folks from whom I ordered the new battery shipped the wrong one.

In the meantime, has anyone else had problems like mine? Not able to make full-throttle starts have to ease onto the throttle to make the car run full-speed. Sometimes runs half-speed with full-throttle applied, and then after about 5 seconds of half-speed, it hesitates and then goes full-speed without me moving the throttle. On attempted full-throttle starts, car makes three or four surges and then finally takes off.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Your battery is too weak to handle the amp draw. We had that happen with some dynamite ESC and motor combos, these two guys were using 1800mah NIMH batteries to try and power these dynamite ESC and motor combos, because the idiot at one of the other shops told him it work fine and that's BS straight up, they needed at least 8.4 volt 3000 NIMH batteries to get the thing to move with out the stuttering at a full throttle take off. So either your batteries are too small and weak or your batteries are too small and weak.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
jnuckols

I put a 2S 30C LiPO in it and that solved the problem. It is blazingly fast on acceleration now. The 2000 mAh NiMH that came with the car just isn't good enough.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

thank you

Your welcome [8D]
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 AM
jnuckols

Thanks for your help. :-)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:53 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

no problem, that's what we're here for, to share our experiences and to learn.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 AM
jnuckols

Not much traffic on this thread! Is there a better thread for the Tornado EXP Pro?

Anyone replace the front steering arms with the blue aluminum ones? I bought a set for my Tornado EXP Pro, but when I tighten down the hub nut the bearings bind so bad the wheels won't turn. Had to put the plastic ones back in.

Anyone successfully install the aluminum ones?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Sunfirefoot
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I won a Tornado EPX Pro In an Auction for $100, hell of a deal if you ask me!!! I got it yesterday, and painted it today!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Sunfirefoot
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got super bored and retro fit a crazy body on my Tornado Pro, also put some lights on it!! Awesome looking!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM
ralph289

Anybody done any mods to there Tornado PRO, besides battery? How are you liking you PRO looks like a good deal for the price !
Surprised not more info on this thread or maybe others can't find it ?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
red603

The only thing I have done to mine in the 3 days I have owned it was go to a 2s 5200 40c bat and glue my tires onto the rims. Fast car I cant wait to take it around the track. Anyone had any durability issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.