Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

*RedCat Racing Tornado EPX Thread*

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

*RedCat Racing Tornado EPX Thread*

Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
jnuckols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *RedCat Racing Tornado EPX Thread*

Did you have to make any mods to the car to fit that battery in? The stock battery mount is tight on the width and the height.

ORIGINAL: red603

The only thing I have done to mine in the 3 days I have owned it was go to a 2s 5200 40c bat and glue my tires onto the rims. Fast car I cant wait to take it around the track. Anyone had any durability issues?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
redcatyodafan

I love all 3 of my redcats (caldera, volcano, tornado) but I am having an issue with the front hub carriers on my tornado epx pro . I broke one of the rear hub carriers (slammed into a curb at about 40mph) andI went with the aluminum hop ups to replace it and the remaining 3 carriers as well as the front C hubs. Everything is installed and looking good but i noticed the top screw on the front hubs are really important to not have too tight or too loose so the servo doesnt work too hard. Just having a hard time finding that happy medium i guess. if its too tight you cant turn or the servo wont center, too loose and the wheels have tons of slop and steering is terrible. Any suggestions? Tappered screws or washers maybe? I've been thinking maybe i need to back out the bottom screw a little bit and drive the top one down more so the hub carrier is more centered between the screws within the C-hub? i would still think i'd be battling with either slop or tightness in this case too though. Maybe it is due to using HSP hop ups instead of genuine redcat parts to upgrade? At a loss here guys, wondering if its just something i always need to keep dialed in after/during every pack. Thanks for the help fellow redcat enthusiasts
Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 AM
redcatyodafan

Hey man apologies for the reply on an old thread but i was just wondering what bug body you used? Was it just the redcat baja bug body that you painted? This look is awesome and similar to what i am looking for on my tornado. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:54 AM
redcatyodafan

Hey man apologies for the reply on an old thread but i was just wondering what bug body you used? Was it just the redcat baja bug body that you painted? This look is awesome and similar to what i am looking for on my tornado. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
ninnimuggins

I posted this on another thread then found this one and thought it belongs here. I have been lurking on here for a bit and decided to join since I just bought a new RedCat Tornado EPX Pro. I am not brand new to the hobby but have been out of it for many years. I raced competitively for about 5-6 years in the mid-late 80's. I owned a few R/C10s, a Clod Buster, and a Lunch Box, back in the day. I have always been a big fan of the hobby even when I wasn't racing. I just got together and sold most of my "oldies" and bought this Tornado. I have a few questions though that I wasn't able to find the answers to.

1. I want road tired when I'm bashing on the street and don't wanna shred these stock tires on the pavement. I have come to the conclusion that the HPI wheels are recommended and know they need to be 2.2/12mm hex. I also have determined that the Proline tires are recommended as well. Now I am trying to pair them up. The confusion lies in not knowing how to pair them up and not sure if it will fit on the axel with little/no modifications. I know Proline has Speed Hawgs/Road Rage etc. I am also not sure of the other specs of the stock tires(offset, inner/outer diameter etc.). I have been trying to pair these up to get a set and need some help clarifying. Please help make this more simple.

2. Growing up with the R/C10's was so much fun with the customizing of them, mainly the lexan bodies. I had about 10 of them and even though they were all very different they all fit the posts and looked great. I am guessing other than the standard motors, batteries, some upgraded parts, wheels/tires are pretty much it for this car. Am I right? I don't have any of my lexans left to even try to match it up. Would 1/10 lexans fit this buggy or am I stuck with the stock buggy body?

I got a single reply about the wheels recommending the Anaconda wheels. Are there any others you Tornado EPX Pro owners would recommended to use on the street.
Thanks everyone. I look forward to re-learning this hobby and cant wait to get some upgrades.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
jginsburg13

Someone just recommended proline dirt hawgs for my tornado EPX pro buggy. Promised they would rock both on and off road. Expecting a huge upgrade with on road speed driving, while still getting solid off road performance. I'm installing them this weekend and will let you know my experience.
I'm running the 3S setup BTW (including the 2720kv motor, and 12v cooling fan. Buggy absolutely flies. Can't drive on road with stock tires and the 3S configuration - spend entire time spinning out
Old 09-15-2014, 01:54 PM
xoroz

I also have a tornado epx pro
I like it a lot, but I am having problems with the screw under the steering hub, it always falls of, I lost it and keep trying to use different ones. I order the metal ones but not sure
if it will solve the problem. Anyone had similar problems!?

here is my redcat tornado
http://youtu.be/JzLUYDPu-Eo
Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 AM
crazyhorse_001

I thought I'd show of my tornado epx/vortex ss cross breed. I bought my tornado about a year ago, and was impressed with the speed, and handling, but not its performance on grass, my main playground lol. I wound up with a well loved vortex sct in a box lot i bought. A few pulls on the ol calipers later showed that the chassis are very close in construction. Several hours, and very little trimming later, this emerged...

Old 12-11-2014, 04:34 PM
GuidoDoc

Did you have to change gearng for bigger wheels?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
crazyhorse_001

I didnt, but i may yet. Its not as quick, but its LOADS faster on top end. Motor temps are still within safe range, if only just lol
Old 02-27-2016, 03:05 PM
leftwix

How'd you get the light on it? Custom job? And if so what did you have to do?
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 PM
rhmillernj

Where do I find out more about Servo Savers?

I have the Volcano, and all was fine. And it just stopped steering. I looked at the remote for trims, and no adjustment made any difference
The servo is fine it thrusts and pulls but the 2025 server saver doesn’t transfer any of that. The top half rotates and nothing really moves.

I thought it might be adjustable (I tried rotating the silver nobby wheel, but that didn’t help).

I was going to replace it, but I can’t get the 2075 unscrewed (the screws move in tandem, and holding one doesn’t help me unscrew the one on the bottom).

It appears the whole thing is connected by the steering joint which I can’t disconnect, so I think I have to take the whole thing out to then replace it (which makes me think I should just upgrade to aluminum along the wa)y.

Any pointers, links to instructions or tips would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would think that your spring could be tightened...a knurled thumb nut usually is a sign that the servo saver is adjustable.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 PM
golferbrady

looking to make mine a little easier to drive
breaks loose pretty easy
sould I do bigger tires or change gears
Old 10-02-2022, 11:02 AM
TheWestonEarly

Why is the AWD not working on mine? It's only been rwd ever since we've had it, which has been about 2 years.
I just recently realized how cool these things are. My dad got it for us and I just thought it was a normal rc car.
It spins the big drive shaft in the middle, but it doesn't spin the ones connecting to the front wheels.