Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Please help...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 AM
delorean123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help...!!!

Just got a Volcano S30 last night..and was setting it up....(Pain in the butt to mesh those gears)...Anyways...I think I got that done correctly..It moves pretty freely now..but I can hear the gears,,Should I be able to hear them mesh together,,???
Second.....The steering servo....Turn left.."click click click"..Turn right "Click click click",,,Now On my Tamiya TNX there is no sound when turning....It doesn't sound too good...Is this normal..??...Or what do I need to do to correct this..??
Third.....I ordered an S30 (Volcano)...But the body says SV..???..It has the Chrome exhaust and header But curious why the bady still says SV..??
Any info is muchly appreciated...
Cheers
Jamie
Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
RCToysNh

Default RE: Please help...!!!

ORIGINAL: delorean123

Just got a Volcano S30 last night..and was setting it up....(Pain in the butt to mesh those gears)...Anyways...I think I got that done correctly..It moves pretty freely now..but I can hear the gears,,Should I be able to hear them mesh together,,???
Second.....The steering servo....Turn left..''click click click''..Turn right ''Click click click'',,,Now On my Tamiya TNX there is no sound when turning....It doesn't sound too good...Is this normal..??...Or what do I need to do to correct this..??
Third.....I ordered an S30 (Volcano)...But the body says SV..???..It has the Chrome exhaust and header But curious why the bady still says SV..??
Any info is muchly appreciated...
Cheers
Jamie
If it has a Chrome exhaust and header then it is an S30. The sv had plastic muffler. The Volcano bodies are interchangable, some have different decals.
Do not know what you are hearing in regards to the drive gears?
The servo horn may be loose. if not contact your dealer or RedCat about servo.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM
delorean123

It's kinda hard to find a RedCat dealer here in Canada...And I paid through the nose to have it shipped from Arizona......It's more of a snap snap sound..like something's breaking.......It's brand new..!!!!..Come on....
Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: delorean123

It's kinda hard to find a RedCat dealer here in Canada...And I paid through the nose to have it shipped from Arizona......It's more of a snap snap sound..like something's breaking.......It's brand new..!!!!..Come on....
There are dealers in Canada, http://www.vancouverhobbies.com/ but since you bought it from AZ direct you need to contact them and get another servo unless steering linkage is binding.
Yes UPS collects tariffs and brokerage fees. It is your govt's tariffs. purchase from dealer in your own country to avoid tariffs.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM
delorean123

How can I tell if the linkage is binding..??..That might be it...It's really snapping..!!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:04 PM
robriley

here's how to check for correct gear mesh.
Take a peice of regular white printer paper.
Cut a strip about 1/4 inch wide x 5-6 inches long. (The paper should be as wide as the clutchbell gear)
Loosen the motor mount screws so you can slide the motor so that the clutch bell is away from the spur gear. It's a VERY important to remove the engine mounting screws and apply blue lock tite to them before you put them back in.
slide the motor to get the clutch bell gear in contact with the spur gear.
Now feed the paper in between the clutchbell gear and the spur gear.
Slide the motor over to sandwich the paper between the spur gear and the clutchbell gear and snug the motor mount screws. Turn the clutchbell with your fingers and the paper will feed in between the 2 gears. You want to be able to turn the clutch bell so that the paper ends up with a crinkle or zig-zag pattern on it, and does not tear. Fully tighten the motor mount screws and remove the paper. Feed a new strip of paper in between the 2 gears to double check it. You want that crinkle or zig zag pattern on the paper with no tears. The best way that i can think of to describe the pattern that you should have on the paper is like one of those old folding hand held paper fans that people used to use. I guess it's more of a pleated pattern.
The fit of the paper should be snug between the 2 gears, but you shouldn't feel any binding when you turn the clutchbell by hand. The truck should roll freely in the floor, and you might hear a little noise from the gears as they rotate and mesh with each other.
You may have to do this process several times before you get the feel of how to do it.
This is how I set my gear mesh on my volcano and I am still on my original spur gear (i've had my truck since jan. 2009 and have ran it a bunch).
If the gear mesh is set wrong, you will destroy the spur gear in a matter of minutes after starting the motor.

As for the steering servo making noise. I would start disconnecting the linkage one peice at a time and trying the servo after each peice is removed. If you get to a point that the servo stops making the noise, then you found the bound up part. Or, just disconnect the linkage where it connects to the servo and try the servo without the linkage on it. If the servo works fine with no noise, then start working the linkage by hand to see if you can tell where it's binding up at.
The steering linkage and the way that it's set up on these isn't the best design in my opinion, but it works good when it's not binding and able to move freely.
It might just be that there is a screw or somethign in the linkage that has been over tightened causing it to bind in a place where it needs to swivel. The servo saver may be where the snap is coming from. If the linkage is binding and the servo saver is snapping, then it's doing it's job as long as it's not broken.
Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Mickstix

Good advice on takin the steering apart a link at a time, to determine where the bind/noise is coming from!! 

Does the servo turn the wheels both directions or just "snap" with no actual turning?? Definitely remove the link from the servo and see if you can turn the wheels easily by hand.. Should be pretty free w/o the servo hooked up.. Check the little knurled disk on the servo saver and make sure it's not too loose.. Hope ya find a simple fix with something binding, but it kinda sounds like your servo gears may be the culprit.. Hope not, but that's my guess.. Keep us up on what happens and good luck gettin her goin!!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
delorean123

She's up and running..!!!..Pretty quick little truck......I'm very impressed....Still got the noise in the steering linkage..and can't figure it out....But I'm driving it.....Should the clutch bell change colour after use..??..Like almost look tarnished..??...Or burnt..??..Please say yes....lol
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 PM
chevyderek72

Lol ya thats normal. Glad its workin great, Have fun man.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 AM
delorean123

I have the worst luck..!!!....So it's tuned..(I think)..and running great...now here's the issue...I ran into the fence last night..and DEAD...Ya know how when ya turn it on..the wheels jerk quickly..(Probably to let ya know it's on)....I turn the truck on now,,and now power...Doesn't move the wheels..no throttle response..nothing....I changed all 12 batteries...checked the connections..Nothing...She's dead..!!!!
Could the switch be cooked..??...Just by running it into the fence,,???..I don't see any loose wires..??......Hate to keep bugging everyone..but I'm not the greatest RC tech,,,If ya can tell..!!..lol....Thanks agian to all who have helped me out so far....Hats off to RedCat support..!!!
Cheers
Jamie
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
chevyderek72

Check all your connections, make sure all your batteries are in good, take out and put back in all your wires, like the ones from the servos. Check everything electronics wise to make sure.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
chevyderek72

Check all your connections, make sure all your batteries are in good, take out and put back in all your wires, like the ones from the servos. Check everything electronics wise to make sure.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
rjsdad

The same thing happened to me...it was the switch. When I bypass the swithch the controlls worked fine.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM
dakotanut

I had the same problem. It was the switch. I went to my local hobby shop and got one. Get a rechargeable battery for the receiver. It makes it so much better. Don't have to go through all of those batteries.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
delorean123

I'll by-pass the switch and try it out....Thanks guys