Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New Batteries keep melting

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM
parrishlewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Batteries keep melting

Hello, First of allI am new to this rc car thing, I have a Redcat Volcano Epx Pro which runs wonderfully with the battery it came with. I mostly drive it on my street for fun.So I decided to try those cheap grey 8.4v 3800mah "generic" lookingbatteries sold on ebay from hong kong. When they came in Irealized that they had the tamiya style connector so I switched my carfrom deansto tamiya plug using but connectors because I was being impatient anddid not have asoldering gun nor a hobby shopin the small town I live in. Well within minutes of running them, they both got really hot,the plastic case and endsmelted and I think I saw either a flame or a puff of smoke come out of them when I spiked the throttle. So I figured they were just cheap batteries that could not handle the power of the car. I eventually ordered an adapter for my original battery because since Iput the tamiya end on it, I could not use the original battery. The original battery still worked fine even with the tamiya plug and adapteron it. So I bought two hump packTenergy 8.4v 4200mah nimh (propel sub c)batteries thinking that they would definitely be powerful enough. The same thing happend, the ends burned on both of them and the hump cell has a burn mark on both sides of it where the solder mark is. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? My original battery still works fine but any new battery I buy for this thing burns up on the first run. Besides the tamiya plug which works fine with my original battery and the deans adapter, I have changed nothing on the car and I mostly drive it on a paved road. Thank you for the help

Also one other question, I know my motor is rated at like 3300 kv but my esc is rated up to 5000kv, if this is true, does redcat make another brushless motor closer to the 5000kv esc limit? Thanks to all that help.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM
RCToysNh

Default RE: New Batteries keep melting

ORIGINAL: parrishlewis

Hello, First of all I am new to this rc car thing, I have a Redcat Volcano Epx Pro which runs wonderfully with the battery it came with. I mostly drive it on my street for fun. So I decided to try those cheap grey 8.4v 3800mah ''generic'' looking batteries sold on ebay from hong kong. When they came in I realized that they had the tamiya style connector so I switched my car from deans to tamiya plug using but connectors because I was being impatient and did not have a soldering gun nor a hobby shop in the small town I live in. Well within minutes of running them, they both got really hot, the plastic case and ends melted and I think I saw either a flame or a puff of smoke come out of them when I spiked the throttle. So I figured they were just cheap batteries that could not handle the power of the car. I eventually ordered an adapter for my original battery because since I put the tamiya end on it, I could not use the original battery. The original battery still worked fine even with the tamiya plug and adapter on it. So I bought two hump pack Tenergy 8.4v 4200mah nimh (propel sub c) batteries thinking that they would definitely be powerful enough. The same thing happend, the ends burned on both of them and the hump cell has a burn mark on both sides of it where the solder mark is. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? My original battery still works fine but any new battery I buy for this thing burns up on the first run. Besides the tamiya plug which works fine with my original battery and the deans adapter, I have changed nothing on the car and I mostly drive it on a paved road. Thank you for the help

Also one other question, I know my motor is rated at like 3300 kv but my esc is rated up to 5000kv, if this is true, does redcat make another brushless motor closer to the 5000kv esc limit? Thanks to all that help.

The deans connectors are the ones you should be using.They are high current plugs. The stock battery is 7.2v. When running 8.4v with tamiya plugs you are most likely causing high current draw from overheated tamiyas. Also you should add esc fan when using anything higher then 7.2v
Old 10-04-2009, 01:57 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

+1 Yes deans plug or you can use the TRX connector. Also DO NOT try to run adaptors they create a lot of resistance. Keep it short and sweet.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM
chevyderek72

I got some 6 cell 3800mah tenergy, they work great. 7 cell 4500 mah tenergy (red), work great. Then i got some 7 cell tenergy propel 4500 mah, they actually put out more amps then my other batteries, so if anything it would run cooler. Well first run it started smokin, and a couple cells blew on it. But all my others work great. And i have a ezrun brushless in my volcano epx, and ive run it in the redcat brushless and work great.

And i'd recommend staying at 3300kv. i put a 4000 kv in mine, and it was gettin a little hot so i put a smaller pinion in and it was good. Higher kv is better suited to an on road
Old 10-04-2009, 02:30 PM
parrishlewis

I will be switching back to the deans for sure but they are never hot or anything. And the original battery works fine. but I'll definitely switch it back. With the 8.4 my esc and motor never get really hot. If anything I would guess that it runs cooler than with the 7.2 but just a guess based on touching it. So if the plug is blowing the bigger batteries, why is it not blowing the original?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:28 PM
parrishlewis

Can anyone else chime in and help me out?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: parrishlewis

Can anyone else chime in and help me out?
Higher voltage with adapters is the problem. The batteries have strips of metal across the ends of the pack, similar to fusible links.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM
parrishlewis

Going to switch back to the deans and try another 8.4v because I really like the way it runs with the 8.4. Any other help is appreciated and thank everyone so far!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
parrishlewis

Going to switch back to the deans and try another 8.4v because I really like the way it runs with the 8.4. Any other help is appreciated and thank everyone so far!