Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Finally, she runs right!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, she runs right!!

Well, I dont know what taking it apart and putting it back together did, but the 2 speed tranny now works nicely on my Tornado!!I tore it down last night looking for a problem and it all looked and worked fine, clutch wasnt stuck open or closed..Was fairly clean as well..Only real "mod" I did was cut 2 coils off the spring in the 2 speed clutch, to let it open (shift) sooner, w/o having the set screw so loose that it hit the "wing" on the spur gear when it went around.. I was thinkin maybe the one way bearing wasnt letting go (free spinning) to allow 2nd gear to overcome 1st??Maybe the cleaning and lube I did to it or the clutch spring mod is what did it, but she's shifting now and running pretty good if I say so myself!Now I need to tighten the set screw up a little though as it's shifting too soon I think.. Only other problem I have now is, it seems to take for ever to warm up.. Or maybe a better description is, it takes a long time to run it's best.. It idles and runs good, but after about 5 minutes of running it gets even better, and the last 30 seconds or so before shutting off, it runs great!(I know that's leaning it out at the end, but I wonder if Im running a little too rich to begin with?) I may have to start tinkering with the tuneup now that I've got all the mechanical gremlins solved.. Anyway, just wanted to post something positive about it,since I was bustin onit pretty good the other day.. lol.. Till next time!!

NOTE:Here's a list of what should be done to a stock Tornado, to fix a few of it's issues..

1. Add a shock "o" ring in the drive cups of each wheel, to keep the stock dogbones from falling out
2. fill the shocks up with new shock oil, so they function properly. (when new, mine barely absored any shock,due to being very low on oil)
3. Loctite the setscews on the 4 bottom motor screws to keep them from vibrating loose after setting gear mesh
4.Add a small length of fuel line to the base of the battery box, where the antenna rod sticks in. This will keep it from breaking off after ya roll it a time or two..
5. If upgrading to the redcat "aircleaner", mod the throttle linkage by removing the top hole so it wont hit the filter, and loctite the screw on the filter top, so it wont loosen.
6. If the 2 speed dont work, see above post. It solved my problem, and mine hadnever shifted once since Igot it new in box..

I think that's aboutit.. If I find anything else, I'll be sure to add it to the list!!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
RC_HAVOC

Default RE: Finally, she runs right!!

Might need to do that on my exceed...

Good job BTW, have fun
Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
chevyderek72

Nice, glad its working right now. I love hearing them shift into second.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 AM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job Mick......glad to hear things are good....isnt rc fun?..lol