Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Need help with brand new Volcano brushless

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Need help with brand new Volcano brushless

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 PM
rayser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with brand new Volcano brushless

Hi Everyone, I am new to the brushless scene. I just purchased a new Redcat Volcano Brushless from the hobby store as they were closing there doors. I have a Epic 3000mah 6 cell battery pack.

It start out ok @ slow speeds, but when i try to bring it to full speed to see the car's ability, it does not go fast and it cuts off after 20 seconds.

I have made sure that all the batteries are @peak charge. ( the battery are ok on my brushed car)

I have Dean connectors, @ start LED 1 is always Green, LeD 2 start flashing Red/Green.

I start pushing the throttle and LED 2 flashes faster and faster until it cuts off. when it cuts off LED 2 stats blinking.

I have played with every settings on the AM remote.

It does the same thing when i reverse. cuts off.

Also, when i put it in throttle, before it cuts off, the wheels turns on its on to the right.

Any suggestions?

the ESCis a novatech sensorless 70 A.

Also curious to know how fast these brushless motor can go with NIMH's?

I am a little bit disapointed.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 AM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help with brand new Volcano brushless

dont like to see unanswered posts....the problem is, I am electric stupid....get in touch with pede_187.... he is an electric nut...and if he cant figure it out he knows were to go to find out
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
chevyderek72

It might have to do with the remote. It has end point adjustments on it, turn the throttle epa to .5. Just play with the knobs on the remote and see what happens. Cause my buddy has one and if they arent set up right it acts weird. I dont ahve that radio so i wouldnt know.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
iluvny081

I have a lightning epx pro and I only run lipo batteries with it. but I'm thinkin your problem is this: the speed control has an automatic cut off pre-programed into it from the factory to cut off at 6 volts. it dosn't matter what type of battery you use it wont move the car if the battery has less than 6.0 volts in it. I would definitely try to borrow on a 2 cell lipo(7.4 volts) and then try it again. I'm pretty sure that will fix your problem and it will go alot faster with a lipo than the 6cell nimh battery you have been using. your battery probably works fine with your brushed cars because they have no lipo cut off. just for kicks, have you tried using the battery the truck came with? if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM
chevyderek72

The redcat brushless works with 6 cells, and i dont think they are programable.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:30 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Is that pack you are using a new pack or an old pack. if it's old you might have a bad cell that's causing the motor to shut off.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
rayser

Apparently the ESCis not programmable. Also the pack is an old pack that i have used with my brushed RC cars.

What kind of LIPO would i need to get 11.x v or 7.4 v? any C rating that you guys recomment or Mah rating?

Please let me know.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 PM
chevyderek72

The more mah and c the more it costs. Cause the mah determins run times, and c determins how much output the battery has. I dont know if the esc can handle 11.1 lipo, but it will take 7.4. Hobbycity.com has lipos super cheap, a turnigy hardcase 5000mah 20c for 20 bucks. And a zippy 4000 mah 25c for 25. And they got cheap chargers. But you dont need to go lipo. You can run nimh, maybe its just a bad battery.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM
rayser

are they good quality lipo's?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

The more mah and c the more it costs. Cause the mah determins run times, and c determins how much output the battery has. I dont know if the esc can handle 11.1 lipo, but it will take 7.4. Hobbycity.com has lipos super cheap, a turnigy hardcase 5000mah 20c for 20 bucks. And a zippy 4000 mah 25c for 25. And they got cheap chargers. But you dont need to go lipo. You can run nimh, maybe its just a bad battery.
yes they are cheap,yes they will work on your volcano at 7.4v but a word to the wise, those are soft packs, do not buy soft pack lipo's. They tend to not take abuse of land vehicles, they could leak and burn.
Stick to hard packs.
Also add a cooling fan to your ESC.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM
chevyderek72

No those are actually hard packs, i wouldnt go with softs, im too hard on my stuff.