Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Volcano S30...Rear drive shaft

Hey guys...Need a little info...I just bought new rear drive shafts..(From centre to rear diff shaft)..as well as new grub screws...because the OEM wiggled loose and fell out.....So..I might just need to replace grub screw..??..Not to sure...But if I do have to change the shaft...any easy way of doing it..??...I can't stand having only 2WD..(Especially front wheel drive)....Help..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Volcano S30...Rear drive shaft

Should be able to just remove the 4 screws holding the transmission (center diff) in, and it'll let ya raise it up and slip the dogbone/shaft in.. (also dont forget to add the "o" rings in the drive cups, (if yours had them before) before putting the bones in.. If ya dont have o rings, a tiny piece of fuel line can be used instead.. (Thats how it's done on a Tornado.. So, Im assuming it's similar on the Volcano.)
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it's not easy to get the rear driveshaft back in without having the front one fall out. I used a pair of needle nose pliers, a magnet and some very steady hands. loosen the transmission enough so that you can raise it up like mickstix said. There isn't much wiggle room for the shafts and it might take a couple of tries to get the rear one in without the front one falling out.

but if the grub screws fell out, you may to pull the transmission out. the transmission shaft has a flat spot on it, and you will need to align the stub so that the grub screw is in contact with the flat spot on the transmission shaft. make sure you use blue locktite on the grub screws. If your original rear driveshaft is still in place, there really is no need to replace it unless it's bent or broken. you will need to remove it to get the grub screws back in tho.
    volcano sv, duratraxx evader, tamiya super blackfoot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the ideas..I got it out....Now I gotta get it re-aligned.....these trucks can't really take a beating I find eh...Not like my Tamiya..!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine takes all the beating i dish out, with a breakage here and there of course.
    Redcat Racing - Dunerunner, Hurricane XP, Aftershock 8e, Volcano, Volcano epx, Vortex epx, Tremor 18e pro
    Its me ti**tae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well....Mines not holding up that well...and what pisses me right off is that I didn't listen to any of the negative reviews regarding Redcat...and now I'm starting to regret it...It's never even been off road...It's a street truck.....It's like 3 weeks old and I have only driven it like two/three times..!!
    The carb is super hard to get just right...The gear meshing thing is balls.....My steering servo was shot right outta the box...The on/off switch lasted a day.....My front shock fell apart....
    Like seriously.....I own a Tamiya TNX 5.2R..and it was a RTR truck...there was no gear meshing involved,,no fine tuning the carb..the servo is a super high speed servo,(Factory installed)..and the price wasn't all that different......I gave RedCat a chance to redeem themselves...They sent a new servo and are in the process of sending a new on/off switch...But here in Canada..there are very few dealers...So I'm stuck waiting weeks for parts......It's not really fair to the consumer if ya ask me....
    Any ideas...??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is no such thing ever as no fine tuning a nitro motor. Every rc motor needs tuning, even gassers. You cant run break in settings on a broke in motor, it wont have power. You must have gotten a lemon, ive had very few problems with all my redcats, and ive had quite a few. For a long while i was buying and selling em like crazy after driving them. And they all were great. But this is a hobby, RTR doesnt mean pull outa the box and run. It basically means its put together instead of being in pieces. Ask anybody, there is prep before you run, like making sure mesh is correct and locktiting screws. I had an s30, and that thing was so reliable one of the best rcs ive had. There are a few dealers up in canada you can order from actually, i cant remember his site but his name on here i think is stallone or something, and i think his name is sebastian.
    Redcat Racing - Dunerunner, Hurricane XP, Aftershock 8e, Volcano, Volcano epx, Vortex epx, Tremor 18e pro
    Its me ti**tae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Tornado S30has had it's share of work done on it too, but once ya get the bugs out they are actually not too bad.. (Althought my transmission is back to not shifting again. lol) But ya definitely need to like working on these things to enjoy the hobby.. Building, rebuilding, and modding them to make em stronger is half the fun! Hope ya get the kinks worked out of yours so you can start to enjoy it, instead of just work on it!! Let us know if we can help!! There's usually a mod/fix for any problem ya enounter!! Good luck!!
    Mick Nesevitch