Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Vortex SS

Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM
[]TEX[]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex SS

Working on a Vortex SS right now I picked up at iHobby yesterday. Thanks guys!

What have you guys been running for shock oils? Just trying to save myself from going through all my oils to get a good match.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM
[]TEX[]

Default RE: Vortex SS

Hmmm, popular car I see......

Never the less, I worked it out on my own.

Great little truck for the money!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
lxjoe420

Does anyone know how good this truck does in grass and sand? I'm thinking of getting one for x-mas kinda as a present to myself but it looks like it might be made for on road driving.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM
[]TEX[]

I just ran it today on short grass and it did well. It's a short course truck so it's not meant for grass.

It's basically a rally chassis with a Pro2 truck body. It has good ground clearance and after changing out the shock oil to some Tamiya oil it handles really well.

Even during break in(before tuning) the .18 has more than enough power to get it going.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM
chevyderek72

Ya its a great truck, basically a buggy platform. Ive got the electric version right now and i like it. Probably gonna go brushless soon.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

Ya its a great truck, basically a buggy platform. Ive got the electric version right now and i like it. Probably gonna go brushless soon.
They still use brushed motors?

Pretty soon Tamiya will include a brushless as a stock part.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 AM
chevyderek72

Haha, people still use brushed motors, there are even pros who use brushed. But redcat has the brushed and brushless available. My buddy actually gave this to me for free so i cant complain. I just threw 4 t maxx shocks on it, i figured since i have the redcat big bores on my volcano epx, and im gonna throw the shocks from the 1/8th pro series on my nitro volcano i'd try out the t maxx ones since other people say they are good. They are pretty good, still like my redcat big bores better though.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 AM
[]TEX[]

Haha, people still use brushed motors, there are even pros who use brushed. But redcat has the brushed and brushless available. My buddy actually gave this to me for free so i cant complain. I just threw 4 t maxx shocks on it, i figured since i have the redcat big bores on my volcano epx, and im gonna throw the shocks from the 1/8th pro series on my nitro volcano i'd try out the t maxx ones since other people say they are good. They are pretty good, still like my redcat big bores better though.
Ya, I know, just being silly.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: lxjoe420

Does anyone know how good this truck does in grass and sand? I'm thinking of getting one for x-mas kinda as a present to myself but it looks like it might be made for on road driving.
The Vortex brushless and the nitro both do well on sand and hard pack, if you want more off road type then go with Volcano or Earthquake.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
[]TEX[]

I pout an OS8 in the Vortex today because the plug that came with it was not running too well.

Huge difference in performance, highly recommend.

I am running 30% heli fuel.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
chevyderek72

Your running heli fuel? whats the oil content?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 AM
[]TEX[]

Your running heli fuel? whats the oil content?
23%
Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

I pout an OS8 in the Vortex today because the plug that came with it was not running too well.

Huge difference in performance, highly recommend.

I am running 30% heli fuel.
It is not running well because your fuel mixture is wrong and fouling the plug.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 AM
[]TEX[]

It is not running well because your fuel mixture is wrong and fouling the plug.
The entire car is mediocre at best.

While I understand what you mean, I was posting for the benefit of others.

Stock plug is for those that run 10/15%, not 30%.

That is particularly why I posted my fuel content/oil. You can run a nice rich mixture and still get great power keeping the motor right at 200F.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
chevyderek72

The motor can be at a higher temp. I run mine at 250
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM
[]TEX[]

The motor can be at a higher temp. I run mine at 250
Thats a tad hot, I prefer lower temps.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
chevyderek72

I dont think thats too hot, ive heard that max it should be 270. I may be wrong but thats always what ive heard. Only time ive heard 200 was when you should get temps above 200 to let your parts heat up properly during break in.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
[]TEX[]

270 is pretty hot for a these little motors.

We never let our 91s get above 210.

The motor is so cheap, it doesn't make a difference.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
RedCat_Chris

Engine temp is just a base setting or recommendation, If your engine has plenty of power and performance at 200 degrees no point in leaning it out, same goes if its running 230 or 240 and sputtering and spitting fuel( although this could also be due to a bad clutch, glow plug, or dirty air filter) then you should probably lean out the needle settings. For Example I participated in a large off-road race here locally about two weeks ago and the outside temp was around 90-95 with muggy air and both engines my engines would not make power and perform unless they were upwards of 250-260(Although these were not Redcat engines the theory still applies)

The reason "tex" is seeing a cooler running temp would and could be to a number of reasons, Weather and fuel being the two biggest. Derek I know lives in Arizona where we are located and due to our dryer air and hotter temps ( this past week being an exception lol) we see much higher engine temps.

Also he is running Heli fuel which has a much higher oil content then car fuel and is mixed a little differently, Correct me if im wrong Tex but Heli's are pretty much full throttle the whole time during a flight and use the pitch of the rotor blades to control up and down and forward and backward flight which requires the fuel to have a lot more oil content then cars require.

Basicly in my opinion you can use temperature as a base tp know where your engine likes to run but its hard to compare with someone else as far as temp goes cause of all the variables and even when all the variables are the same its hard to compare cause one engines compression ratio may differ from the others.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM
chevyderek72

Thats true, thanks for the correction
Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: RedCat_Chris

Correct me if im wrong Tex but Heli's are pretty much full throttle the whole time during a flight and use the pitch of the rotor blades to control up and down and forward and backward flight which requires the fuel to have a lot more oil content then cars require.
In helis the motor is usually hooked up to an elec governor/rev limiter which keeps the motor in it's power band or gear ratios are calculated for for a target rotor speed and throttle is based on that. Not full throttle, but you're close enough.

We base a lot of our tuning by temp initially and then by flight characteristics after that to fine tune. I do the same thing with my cars. Tune by temp initially and then fine tune for performance keeping within a reasonable temp. Cars can overheat in just a few seconds so to me, a cooler motor is better.

My guess is the Redcat plug is a A3 plug, I just wasn't thinking that these smaller motors would require the colder plug. It seems in my case a #8 is required, 30% is a lot of fuel for that little motor.

I can run the at a steady 200F with the mixture screw flush with the sleeve and super performance.

Been a great experience so far and it's been over two years since I had a nitro car. Glad I pick up a Redcat.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 AM
chevyderek72

Glad you like it, ya with 30% you should use a cold plug, but most people run 20% like me, so i run the hot plugs.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 PM
4goodbuys2

Hi I have a vortex ss I've had it for about a year and I use 80 weight silicon shock oil and it handles and jump's great compared to the stock oil which it really doesn't have shock oil when you buy it so make sure you fill the shock oil about 3/4 of the way , I',m thinking about putting slash tires on mine and building a roll cage for it also, has anyone else modified their's if you have tells us about them.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
chuchomorey

does anybody know if the 2075 traxxas servo can be used on the vortex ss? if yes can it be used for steering and throttle?