Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Nitro SH .18 "Clutch/Spring"??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro SH .18 "Clutch/Spring"??

Hey again!!While I have the clutch bell/pinion off my Nitro .18 SH engine, I was wondering what ya'll think is the better clutch setup??Stock, it hasplastic (white)clutch shoes on it, and I've had no problems at all with them.. But I have a newset of aluminum clutch shoes I got for it when I ordered my spare parts..Do ya think I should just let the plastic shoes ride until they wear out, or go ahead and put in the aluminum shoes/spring now, since I've got the motor out and the bell-pinion off??I really have no idea which is better or worse, so figured I'd ask the crowd who's been there and done that.. Thanks for your help in deciding!!Mick
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Nitro SH .18

Aluminum shoes usually grab better, but need more maintinence. Like they can burr over, but you can try the aluminum ones.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Mickstix

Thanks Derek!!  Do you know of any other downside to the plastic shoes?? I should probably just leave em in till the spring breaks or they start slippin, since I've really not even used em that much and havent had any issues with them as of yet.. (Only put 1/2 gallon of fuel through the car so far)  Oh, and once I tore down the 2 speed, I once again didnt find anything wrong with the 2 speed clutch? The "arm" spings back nice and tight and I have no idea why the thing sticks in 2nd.. Strange..
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
BigDave09

what you mean sticks? it's stuck in second or it wont shift in second? in any case theres two grub screws grub screw with a deep hole which tears stuff apart(don't touch that one)and a slight hole which can change when it shifts too second or which gear it starts in. hopes this helps Happy rcing
Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Mickstix

It was stuck in 2nd gear.. (Bog off the line but great top speed) It seems like it'd shift fine till it got warmed up (about 5 minutes) then it'd be stuck in 2nd after that.. I did get to learn all about the clutch and its inner workings though, but like I said above, I cant find anything wrong with it? Guess it either sticks when it's hot, or just gets crud in it and stays in 2nd till it cools off and/or I clean it up? I was never able to see the "arm" stuck open, but then again I always waited till it had cooled off and was clean again before inspecting it closely.. But all would look good and I'd take it back the next day and again it would work for a few mins then be stuck in 2nd again.. But anyway, as you said in the other thead, the 2 speeds dont work  very well for racing.. (Im just a basher at the moment, but wont rule out takin it to a track if I ever get the itch) It was cool to hear it shift and go super fast, but that's probably not very good for the motor anyway. (just winding it out all the time) Now I'll be able to concetrate on driving a little more and not so much worry about why or if it's gonna shift or not.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:48 AM
chevyderek72

Ya you could always use up the nylon ones and when those go try out the aluminum ones. Ive had the aluminum ones once in a tornado i had for a while. I didnt notice a drastic difference really. But at first i didnt know, so i would hear metal on metal pinging while i gave it just a little gas. Weirded me out, till i noticed that they were just aluminum and the clutch wasnt fully engaged yet.

But 2 speeds are cool, but to me its more of a hassle, one more thing to break or have something wrong with it.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Mickstix

I wonder how the 2 or 3 speed tranny is on the Traxxas or HPIRC's?? I see where the traxxasRevo 3.3 has an electronic shift2 speed, w/reverse gearbox, and is Nitro powered!! Sounds very cool!! (But, like the Redcat, could be a nightmare to keep working)
Old 11-15-2009, 11:49 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

I wonder how the 2 or 3 speed tranny is on the Traxxas or HPI RC's?? I see where the traxxas Revo 3.3 has an electronic shift 2 speed, w/reverse gearbox, and is Nitro powered!! Sounds very cool!! (But, like the Redcat, could be a nightmare to keep working)
Stay away from reverse units in nitro they are more trouble then they are worth.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Mickstix

Oh well, that figures.. lol..