Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Servo problem again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM
dakotanut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo problem again.

Ok. Sorry I've been gone for awhile. I still have a problem with me steering servo on my Volcano S30. I'm gonna mess with it this weekend. I've been offshore and had some domestic problems. I'll be Alright. Ok. I broke another servo. I don't know if I've got the steering too tight or if I'm missing something. Can someone give me pic's of the front end with what I need to know. I have aluminum parts up there now. The bell crank/servo saver is aluminum. I'm still going through servos. If yall have any suggestions let me know and I'll try them. I still need a servo though. Thanks yall.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:11 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: Servo problem again.

Your servo Saver might be too tight. You could also try a higher torque servo.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Mickstix

How are ya "breaking" servos? Are the gears literally breaking, or does it twitch, or just stop working completely?? I just had a steering servo go haywire on my 1/10 buggy, (was twitching instead of turning the wheels) and my theory is the servos redcat is using, on the offroad vehicles, might not be able to handle the added strain put on them from bigger tires and a dirty racing environment??  Also, if your going through water, that can cause them to short circuit.. If your breaking gears though, ya might make sure your ball joints and stuff arent too dirty, and just make sure the steering linkage isnt excessivly tight. (Try removing the servo's turnbuckle from the steering, and see how hard it is to steer by hand.) Good luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
dakotanut

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

How are ya ''breaking'' servos? Are the gears literally breaking, or does it twitch, or just stop working completely?? I just had a steering servo go haywire on my 1/10 buggy, (was twitching instead of turning the wheels) and my theory is the servos redcat is using, on the offroad vehicles, might not be able to handle the added strain put on them from bigger tires and a dirty racing environment?? Also, if your going through water, that can cause them to short circuit.. If your breaking gears though, ya might make sure your ball joints and stuff arent too dirty, and just make sure the steering linkage isnt excessivly tight. (Try removing the servo's turnbuckle from the steering, and see how hard it is to steer by hand.) Good luck!

The gears inside are breaking. It doesn't stop working. The both work. I'm not going through any water that I know of. So I need to clean my ball joints and other stuff. I replaced the servo saver/bell crank. I'm not real sure how it goes back together. The drawings that are in the Redcat manual are very hard to see. I may have tightened up those set screws on the ball joints too tight. I had to put some fuel line in the cups to keep the dogbones from falling out. Do yall think that this could be causing my problems? Maybe I made it too stiff up front with the fuel line? I could take it back apart and try it with a little bit less fuel line if yall think that is the cause. I've got a lot on my plate right now. So, I may not be able to get to it right away. I really appreciate all of the help.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM
chevyderek72

Your servo saver might have been too tight. Your servo wants to stay where you tell it to stay, so say your driving straight and your wheels get hit and wanna turn left, the servo will stay straight. and if the servo saver is too tight and the wheels turn left, and the servo doesnt budge, something is gonna break, like the servo arm, or the gears inside.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Mickstix

Yea, derek is spot on, that servo saver is there specifically to "save servo's"... Do they break when ya hit something, or just when running normally? Cause if your breakin servo gears just by steering. (ie: Not hitting curbs or solid objects) then it's more than likely your steering linkage is too tight somewhere.. If you need pix of the linkage, I can get some shots of my Tornado steering and post them for ya.. Just say the word! Best of luck gettin it squared away!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
dakotanut

If yall do have some detailed pic's of the steering and all of the parts that go into the steering it would be a great help to me. Maybe I can figure it all out. The drawings in the manual are so small that I can't really make out anything. Like where to put the washers and such. How to put that nut on top of the servo saver/bellcrank and so forth. I'm going to try something when I can get to it. I sure appreciate yalls help.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Mickstix

Here ya go! There's really not much to the steering linkage..These should let ya know how everything goes together..Only thing ya cant see very wellis the plasticackerman "arm" that connects the left and right sides.. It has screws that ya get to from underneath, via holes in the chassis.. The only place (in the steering) that may have bb's are the 2 "posts".(servo saver and right side) I've never taken them completelyapart, but they should be pretty self explanitory, with a bb or 2 recessed into the post, that they pivot on.. (If so, make sure your bb's are clean and free.. Slide them down on a sharpened pencil, so the wood holds the inner race, and you can spin the bb and feel how they move. Just make sure they arent froze up, and if they feel gritty ya might want to soak em in some carb cleaner or something, (I put mine in a pill vial with the cap on and some acetone and gently shake em around., then retry em and see if the gritty feel is gone. repeat till they feel smooth, then give em a drip of oil and there ready to go!) Ok, here's the pix..Hope it helps!!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
dakotanut

By "bb's" you do mean ball bearings? I'll have to look at them again. Those will help. I just have to go and take a look at what is going on. Thanks for the pic's. Your dogbones look different than mine. Are they plastic or painted?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 AM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

He Paints them so when they fly out he can find them.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM
dakotanut

Ah! That is a great idea. I'm gonna paint mine florescent yellow or something. LOL.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dakota....you running the stock type servos (3003 or something like that)..does it have a plastic gear up top that your horn attaches to?....if so toss it and get ya a 1/8th scale steering servo...they are metal geared...will also be faster and give you more power, not to mention they are stronger...the stock redcats are ok...and fairly reasonably priced...there is a guy on fleabay, goes by servoman...he sells ppp servos and they are spose to be pretty decent...I dont run them cheap plastic servos on anything
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Mickstix

Hey dakota! Hope yer gettin it figured out!! And yes, bb = ball bearing, and Kurt is correct, I painted my dogbones flo. orange so I could find them if they fly out.. (But ever since I added an  "o" ring, in the drive cup, they've not come out! (knock on wood)    Also, if your gonna paint your bones, paint them white first, then whatever color ya want.. I only had flourescent orange on hand, and it seemed like it was going to take the whole can before it started to show up over the black metal.. Oh, and make sure there clean first too.   
Old 11-26-2009, 01:38 AM
7M

I would recommend the Skyion CG0 metal gear servo. Its only $15-20 on eBay, and has gobs of torque.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 AM
dakotanut

Thanks. I'm currently in Jacksonville, Florida and my trucks are in Needville, Texas. So I'm like 1000 miles away from them. When I get back I'll let yall know what I find out. I do think it has the plastic gear thingy on the outside of the servo. URCHobby sent me a new servo but I haven't had time to mess with it. I've got aluminum servo saver/bellcrank. This started happening when I put fuel line in the cups of the dogbones. ?????????
Old 11-27-2009, 01:36 AM
Mickstix

DId ya make sure your tires/wheels still spun and steeredfreely (through all ranges of the suspension travel) after adding the fuel line spacers? It could possibly be binding up the suspension? I used "o" rings (made for the shockabsorbers) in mine, and started with 2 per axle.. (one in wheel side cup, one on in diff side cup) and that was too tight.. It wouldnt let the dogbones move at all, even when the suspension was at rest.. So I ended up with just one o ring per axle.. Just make sure that you can move your dogbones a little, back and forth, once its back together.. After that, then ya need to make sure your servo saver is installed right and your steeering linkage isnt kinked up somewhere.. Good luck and keep us filled in when ya get back to it!!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM
rclynx

Metal servo saver and a metal gear servo should end the problems. Volcano is pretty easy on gears usually [&:]
Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 AM
dakotanut

My dogbones are very tight. That is one thing I have noticed. So? That is what I was told to do. Not sure how much fuel line to put in there. I have no clue what these o'rings are. I know what O'rings are but not the ones you are talking about specifically. Do you have a part number or something on them?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Mickstix

Sure, the ones I used are Redcat Product# 02078 but any small "o" ring that'll fit inside the drive cups will work.. The fuel tubing/O rings, are installed to keep the bones from flying out when the suspensiongets tweaked (ie: crash,rollover, cartwheel, etc)but ya dont want themso tight that they cant move a little..You''ll know there too tight if the wheels won't spin freely when the suspensionis compressed..
Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 AM
dakotanut

Ok. I'll check that when I get home. If I go home. I don't know if I am or not.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Mickstix

Hope all's well on the home-front Dakota! Seen your post on the Turkeyday thread.. Hope ya get back with your family asap!!! 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
dakotanut

I thank you for that. Unfortunately, it is over with my and my wife. I'm good with it. I'm happy now. I am going to go on with my life and do what I enjoy to do without anyone telling me what I can and can't do. This has been a long time coming. We are both to blame. So that is life. Now I can concentrate on me. Do what I need to do. I'm going to be working on this problem tomorrow. I will sit down and try everything yall have told me to do. If it doesn't work then I'll let yall know. I'm hoping that there is too much fuel line in the cups. I'll let yall know.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:20 AM
chazmadaz

my servo goes crazy like yours does im getting a better one asap it wigs out so much that if i land on the front tires off any size jump it will run away at top speed it scares me at the track and driving at home
Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM
chazmadaz

my servo goes crazy like yours does im getting a better one asap it wigs out so much that if i land on the front tires off any size jump it will run away at top speed it scares me at the track and driving at home
Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Mickstix

Yea, the stock servos on these things arent the best quality in the world.. I've got one that wiggs out too..Mine just starts twitching and wont do anything.. But there's been a few links posted with some good alternative servos, at very affordable prices.. I'll see if I can find the links and add em to this post.. Be back shortly...

Here'sone: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6221

And here's another:http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-208oz-STEER...item3355be9ff3

And one more. (Sorry CPE, dont know how Iforgot to addthis one) http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...ervo-p-18.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.