Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Thought I had a Tx/Rx problem.. Nope!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Thought I had a Tx/Rx problem.. Nope!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I had a Tx/Rx problem.. Nope!

Well, I was about to pull my hair out, cause now that I got the buggy (TornadoS30)setup w/ single speed tranny, I've been wanting to check it out.. But lastnightI get ready to go and the Transmitter/Reciever was acting up..The servos were twiching and not reacting very good at all to the transmitter..So, of course I assumed the batteries were low..But when I checked they were fine?So then I checked the transmitter batteries and they too were fine.. So then I figured the reciever must of gotten moisture in it and short circuited or something..But when I put the batts back in it seemed to work again, so I was all set for the next evening (tonight) Well, I get ready to go tonight and again it's all twitchy when I get it tuned on.. Again I check the batts, and it says the rx batts are a little low, so I pull em' and put them on the charger.. 10 mins later there charged, so I figure once again it's not the batts.. This time I take it apart and decide to swap the servo leads on the rx.. (I want to confirm thatchannel 1 on the rx. is bad) but, low an behold the twich isgone with the throttle servo hooked to ch. 1 on the rx.. Guess what?The servo was the problem all along!Unfortunately, I took the servo apart too, and didnt see anything that would explain why it's acting up, but it's definitely the servo.. (the steering servo would twitch on both channels, while the throttle servo was fine on both)Oh, and since I took it apart and "rattled" it around, it tooseems to be working fine again.. Anyway, I think the strain these (pardon the verbage) cheap servos sustain, trying to steeroffroad vehicles, is what causes them to short circuit?? With the servo off, I tried manually steering the wheels, and it's pretty stiff.. I can see where a basic (low end) servo could struggle trying to steer one of these trucks or buggies.. Then once ya get dirt and crud in the ball joints and bb's, Im sure the steering is ever harder.. So, Im gonna try some dry lube (graphite)on allthe steering "joints" and see how long I can make this servo last, but Im affraid a better quality steering servo is going to be on my shopping list pretty soon.. Just something to think about if your have "twitchy" problems with your "offroad" RC cars!! (I think the servoswould be fineon "onroad" cars/trucksthat dont getreal dirty?) That's my story and Im stickin to it..

Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM
dakotanut

Default RE: Thought I had a Tx/Rx problem.. Nope!

Cool. At least you have good info for the rest of us with servo/steering problems. Wish I could start my own Redcat business down here in Texas. Oh well.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
chevyderek72

Man that sucks, ive only had a servo go out (maybe) once, i was runnin my hurricane then my steering servo woundnt move. So i messed with and eventually shut it down and went home. Well with the motor off it works great, but turn the motor on and it doesnt work again. Ive yet to try it again, so its been a while, but other than that ive had zero problems with servos.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Mickstix

Yea, that's the first servo issue I've ever had as well.. (But this is the first offroad vehicle I've had as well) But I figured I'd post my experience,since I read where someone else was having a servo issue, just to see if it might help them or someone else who experiencing a similar issue.. If it wasnt strain/heat that caused it to act up, it may of been moisture??(Although I didnt see any rust inside the servo guts) but I did hose off the car the last time, before swapping the transmission from 2 speed to 1 spd... But it seems to be workin ok since I had it apart.. Anyway,I picked up some "Plasti-dip" today at Home Depot, and plan to give it the waterproof treatment next time I have the servo out.. (But if it wasnt moisture, I may make the problem worse, as it'll probably get even hotter once it's covered in liquid rubber..)
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
dakotanut

That is why I use a balloon to cover up my electronics. I don't cover up speed controls though. I have never had a servo get hot though. Hmmmmmm...... I'll have to check the next time I run mine.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Mickstix

I was just guessing at what caused it to act all weird? I dont know if it was heat or vibration or strain, moisture, ect.. The balloon trick is a cool idea too!! Im just curious to do the "plasti dip" method ever since I saw a you-tube video on it.. It supposedly covers the gear where the servo horn attaches too, so it should be completely moisture proof afterwards? I'll do up a tutorial (or better yet "trial-n-error") with pix of it, when I get around to doing it! I was ready to cuss the thing again tonight, as it shut off mid stream and wouldnt run for more than a sec or 2 after that.. Fiuigured I'd burnt the glow plug, but once back inside I noticed it was just out of fuel... DOH!!! LOL..
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
dakotanut

I've done that a time or two. When ever you get around to it. No biggie.