Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.5 won't stay running

Old 11-26-2009, 04:21 PM
justbeastit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.5 won't stay running

Hey all. I recently purchased an Earthquake 3.5 with the SH .21 engine. I'm having a little trouble starting the break in process. First I would like to ask what is the recommended HSN setting for break in. In the manual, it states that the engine comes pre-set from the factory ready to break in at 2-2.5 turns out on the HSN. In the break-in section on the following pages, it says to put it at 4.5 turns out. Which one would u guys recommend? I've tried both. I can get the vehicle to run and idle but as soon as I take off the glow starter, it dies. I haven't been able to keep it running for more than 2 seconds without the glow starter. I have tried two different, known good glow plugs, 2 diff glow starters but I can't keep this sucker running. It is a little cold here in NC, about 50-65 degrees during the day...could that have something to do with it? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: Earthquake 3.5 won't stay running

The engine is running rich. It's a new engine the pinch is tight. I would recommend setting the HSP to 2.5 (if it were here in Texas, Different weather, different sea level, good place to start though). You basically have to keep it running and get the Built up fuel in the crank case out of the engine from priming. You might try setting your throttle trim on the remote alittle higher to add extra air to the mixture.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.5 is way to rich...that thing wouldnt get to 200 deg. (which is vary important) if it would even start and idle at all....I'd go with 2.5 or 3 turns on the hsn and the same on the lsn...even though its a new engine and your breaking it in, try to get it up to around 200 deg asap and keep it close to that during break in..personally I try to keep mine atleast 10 deg under and no more then 20 over 200 during break in..I also like the heat cycle method...others like different methods..also make sure your engine is at bdc as soon as possible after running..
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
justbeastit

Thanks for the great tips guys. Got it running and all broken in. That thing screams! Had no idea it would be that quik.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

That thing is super fast. Take good care of that engine and that thing will be super fast for a LONG LONG TIME. Glad to help.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM
jjorstad18

Does anyone know how fast the earthquake 3.0 or 3.5 is, had my 3.0 up to 32.6 mph.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM
deboardfam

I have had the same car for 6 months and have had the same issue. I followed the above settings and now I am getting the gas spitting from the exhaust like it should be but it still only runs a few seconds and if I hit the brake it dies.  I am going to try just 2 and 2 turns out and see what happens tommorow any other ideas? What should the idle speed needle be set as. Please email me at [email protected] as i can not check these forums from work or you can reply here and I will try to check them as soon as i can. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Mickstix

Sounds like it's dieing when ya hit the brakes cause you have your idle screw too loose (not enough gap when the throttle body is closed) Pull the air cleaner and close the carb linkage, then set your "gap" to 1mm.. 2 & 2 out is most likely going to be too lean, so be careful of the temps with those settings.. (They may be fine, Iv'e never ran a SH.21, just going off experience of my 2  SH .18's and  SH.28) When they die as soon as the glow ignitor is pulled (on a new motor) I like to lean out the LSN until it'll run.. (If it's an already broken in enigne, the glow plug is usually the culprit) Anyway, then lean the HSN until your temps get up over 200 for breakin procedure.. If ya breakin the motor at under 200, it'll never seat the piston and sleeve properly. Good luck!