Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Earthquake 3.5 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Earthquake 3.5 Problems

Now that's just cheatin!!

Actually that one looks like it'd work ANDlast!!I've seen some of the combo fuel filter/primers with just the little ball in the middle and those Im skeptical about.. Doesnt look it'd take much to rip or wear out one of the little ones, but this one looks solid!!If I ever make an order fromTower, I'll definitely put a couple in my cart!!Thanks for the link!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Redcat Earthquake 3.5 Problems

I plug the exhaust, just because if you blow too hard into the exhaust line it may shoot fuel back out through it into your mouth. Ive heard of it a few times happening. You just gotta be careful, i would just rather be safe than sorry and plug the exhaust.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM
jos9051

I just bought the Earthquake 3.5. The car is 7 days old today. After running its cycles on day one. I went to the park doing figure 8 at quarter throttle. My gear shredded. I took it back to the shop on day 3 and I had to pay for the part and labor. On day 6 I had to replace another gear and possibly the gear box is going bad. Any suggestions.

Last edited by jos9051; 05-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jos9051
I just bought the Earthquake 3.5. The car is 7 days old today. After running its cycles on day one. I went to the park doing figure 8 at quarter throttle. My gear shredded. I took it back to the shop on day 3 and I had to pay for the part and labor. On day 6 I had to replace another gear and possibly the gear box is going bad. Any suggestions.
Why were you charger for the part is question number one. I can see the shop may want to charge labor as Redcat dosn't reimberse labor. Something is binding or maybe some sand got in the gearbox. Clean out the box and check the gear mesh. If you find sand or dirt an old off road motorcycle trick is put a thin layer of grease on the lip of the cover and the grease will catch the dirt and prevent it from going in. if you find dirt in the gear teeth that would bind up the drive train and put stress on the gear and cause it to strip. Not sure if this is the proble as I cant look at the item to verify it but it is where I would start looking from what you stated.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook
Old 05-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by jos9051
First off let me say that Redcat's gear boxes are NOT shimmed correct from the factory. I had a new Backdraft 3.5 and went thru the entire car with thread lock, after setting the gear mesh the way Redcat recommends. Well fast forward to the 1st tank after break in (6th tank) and I stripped 1/3 of the teeth off of the Spur gear. Bought a metal spur and put it on, setting the mesh the same way and lock tite engine mount screws. Ran it for a few mins and pulled it in to look at the spur gear.......it was showing wear already. I stopped running it and took it to my LHS. He took one look at the gear shaft in the center diff which the spur gear rides on and said "wow, that's a TON of play (forward/back). I bought a shim kit, took the center diff out and apart, added a few shims and ZERO problems since. I plan on shimming the front and back diffs in the near future as it will definitely make all of the gears last alot longer.

So, I'm willing to bet you're having a similar issue. Buy a shim kit and a metal spur gear. Shim the center diff and also make sure your clutch bell doesn't have a ton of play in it. If it does then shim it also. I don't place paper between the spur and clutch bell any more. I just do it by feel and make sure there's no binding and just the slightest space between the teeth. 10 tanks since break in and both gears show zero wear on them.

Last edited by Guff15; 05-21-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:23 PM
tcharger

I definitely noticed the play in the spur gear when I went to set the mesh (too tight from factory) amd plan to shim it before I fire it up