Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Did Redcat change engines in Backdraft 3.5?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Did Redcat change engines in Backdraft 3.5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Guff15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Redcat change engines in Backdraft 3.5?

Everything I find on the net states that my Backdraft 3.5 should have an SH 21 engine in it, BUT right on the side of mine is "O.S. 21". So, I have two questions........

#1 - Did Redcat change from an SH 21 to the OS 21, or are the posts that I'm finding on the internet wrong?.... if Yes, then why if anyone knows?

#2 - What is the difference between the SH and OS engines, and which is "better"?

I'm starting to find that a lot of changes have been made to the Backdraft over the years, which is most likely a good thing. I'm happy overall with the buggy. The only drawback is getting parts after you break something, which I knew going in but didn't think I'd need parts so fast after engine break in, lol. So far I chewed a spur gear up while tuning it after a rock got caught between the pinion and spur gears. Now I'm waiting on a servo saver as I smacked a curb yesterday and broke the passenger side saver. I've learned my lesson..... no more running it with the body off unless I'm driving just to tune it, AND no more crazy driving in the street!

Thanks in advance for the responses gang!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Guff15

One more question for Redcat......what backplate is available for the OS 21 engine for an electric starter conversion? I've search high and low on the Internet and cannot find a definitive answer. Not To mention that right on Redcats site it says their electric starter is not for the OS engine.

Last edited by Guff15; 04-04-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Guff15

Wow, it appears Redcat doesn't even look at their own forum section anymore. While I love my Backdraft I'm beginning to regret the purchase due to their customer service. It seems as if I was 'bothering' them when I called a week ago to clarify a vague email response I received regarding the metal spur gear. Now I receive a response regarding another email I sent inquiring about a backplate for an electric starter I want to purchase.

I asked if they could point me in the right direction on which backplate would fit the OS .21 engine they now put in the Backdraft (keep in mind they do not sell a backplate that fits any OS engine). The response could almost have been computer generated it was so short.

Come on Redcat! Part of the reason I bought your product was due to the masses of people who hyped up your customer service!

(and YES I am sort of bashing Redcat in their own forum)
Old 04-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Guff15

***UPDATE, BUYER BEWARE!***

After getting absolutely NO help from Redcat I decided to contact Hobbico (owner of O.S. Engines) directly to see if they could answer my questions. Hobbico went above and beyond what I expected with their help, but in the end I found some disappointing news. Not only could they not figure out what engine model was in my Backdraft, but I was told by their engine technician Wayne that this engine is NOT an OS .21. I was told that all O.S. Engines come with an identification stamp on the crankcase (this has none), and also O.S. has never produced a .21 model with a 4 bolt head. The only thing they could positively identify as an O.S. Product was the pull start.

I then contacted Redcat and informed them of the information I received directly from Hobbico and was told that the engine is not a production model so that's why Hobbico didn't have information on it. A call back to Hobbico proved this to be false so it appears that Redcat lied to me.

Anyone thinking of buying a Redcat product should think twice as I'm regretting my purchase now. Do yourself a favor and save the extra $50-100 and buy something else such as an OFNA Hyper 7 TQ.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Stryker48

Originally Posted by Guff15
Wow, it appears Redcat doesn't even look at their own forum section anymore. While I love my Backdraft I'm beginning to regret the purchase due to their customer service. It seems as if I was 'bothering' them when I called a week ago to clarify a vague email response I received regarding the metal spur gear. Now I receive a response regarding another email I sent inquiring about a backplate for an electric starter I want to purchase.

I asked if they could point me in the right direction on which backplate would fit the OS .21 engine they now put in the Backdraft (keep in mind they do not sell a backplate that fits any OS engine). The response could almost have been computer generated it was so short.

Come on Redcat! Part of the reason I bought your product was due to the masses of people who hyped up your customer service!

(and YES I am sort of bashing Redcat in their own forum)
Truthfully, complaining in a forum is not going to get you anywhere fast! If I wasn't happy with service I was receiving, I would make a complaint at their head office.
From my personal experience Redcat have gone out their way to answer all my questions and I have found their customer service to be excellent here in Canada. I have no complaints.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by Stryker48
Truthfully, complaining in a forum is not going to get you anywhere fast! If I wasn't happy with service I was receiving, I would make a complaint at their head office.
From my personal experience Redcat have gone out their way to answer all my questions and I have found their customer service to be excellent here in Canada. I have no complaints.
Well, complaining to their office hasn't gotten me anywhere either. Each time I call it seems as if I'm putting them out by even calling, not to mention their lack of knowledge. As I stated in another thread, it's not their product Im unhappy with, but rather their customer service and support.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Stryker48

Well, complaining to their office hasn't gotten me anywhere either. Each time I call it seems as if I'm putting them out by even calling, not to mention their lack of knowledge. As I stated in another thread, it's not their product Im unhappy with, but rather their customer service and support.
I really don't know what to say, other than I'm sorry to hear that.

I purchased my Redcat Hurricane from a local dealer in Canada. Received great customer service from them as well as from Redcat Canada.
I had many questions before purchasing and all were answered in a knowledgeable way.

I also registered my buggy on the their website as there is a lifetime warranty (@ 1/2 price replacement cost after the 90 warrantee expires) on all electrical components.

BTW if you ever have starting issues, I believe adding a primer bulb helps a lot. I came across this recently. I'm into electrics and haven't been into nitro for years now.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 AM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything I find on the net states that my Backdraft 3.5 should have an SH 21 engine in it, BUT right on the side of mine is "O.S. 21". So, I have two questions........

#1 - Did Redcat change from an SH 21 to the OS 21, or are the posts that I'm finding on the internet wrong?.... if Yes, then why if anyone knows?

#2 - What is the difference between the SH and OS engines, and which is "better"?

I'm starting to find that a lot of changes have been made to the Backdraft over the years, which is most likely a good thing. I'm happy overall with the buggy. The only drawback is getting parts after you break something, which I knew going in but didn't think I'd need parts so fast after engine break in, lol. So far I chewed a spur gear up while tuning it after a rock got caught between the pinion and spur gears. Now I'm waiting on a servo saver as I smacked a curb yesterday and broke the passenger side saver. I've learned my lesson..... no more running it with the body off unless I'm driving just to tune it, AND no more crazy driving in the street!

Thanks in advance for the responses gang!
Redcat is like most other company's that do running production changes. I bought 3 Traxass trucks a number of years age and within 2 months each of the trucks and buggies was obsolete or upgraded. Got a Bandit VL1 a month later the VL5 came out. got a E-max 2 weeks after it was bought they went waterproof. Got a Slash same thing.
Redcat probably has backing plates in the works. Getting items into this country with the dock strikes that just ended last month didn't help.
This dosn,t explain the customer service issues though.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 04-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Guff15

***UPDATE #2***

I emailed Redcat again yesterday expressing my disappointment. I promptly received an email back from Billy. I was offered to have my current engine swapped out for an SH engine in their shop. I must say that this offer is a pleasant surprise, but I'm undecided if I'm going to take him up on the offer. I'm going to start a thread to get opinions as I'm lost when it comes to the technical stuff with nitro.

And you're right Bob, production models do change often. But I also think that Redcat should've updated their site to show the change. Billy assured me that he will correct the specifications on the Backdraft to show the new engine.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Bob Jablonski

Tell You what. If you want to get the motor and ship I will swap it out for you and test run it for you. You just cover shipping.
Mr. Bob
County line Hobbies
11960 E. 500 North
Grovertown,In 46531
[email protected]
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by Bob Jablonski
Tell You what. If you want to get the motor and ship I will swap it out for you and test run it for you. You just cover shipping.
Mr. Bob
County line Hobbies
11960 E. 500 North
Grovertown,In 46531
[email protected]
I'm under the assumption that the SH engine would be brand new and need to be broken in first. Is that what you're offering to do?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

As far as I know Hobbi o is a distributor for OS and doesn't actually own them. I'd assume OS, like other engine manufacturers, does make engines "to spec" for other manufacturers. Now a "to spec" engine can be the same as an engine in their normal lineup but with a different cooling head, different porting, or different materials and machining processes to lower costs of the manufacturer contracting OS wants a lower spec. If a particular "to spec" engine is not offered in OS normal product lineup then Hobbico and other distributors wouldn't have any info on it. SH makes engines "to spec" for LRP, Losi, Redcat and others.

Both OS and SH make good engines, but what Redcat spec'd for each is unknown. Ultimately I think your decision is going to have to be based on how bad you want the electric starter. Removing and installing the flywheel isn't hard. You simply hold the flywheel (a tool like a pair of channel locks may be needed), remove the flywheel nut and tap the flywheel lightly around the backside to break it loose. Don't forget to remove and save the collet on the crankshaft behind the flywheel.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Bob Jablonski

I'm under the assumption that the SH engine would be brand new and need to be broken in first. Is that what you're offering to do?
I am offering to do the swap, change the back plate for the starter, and run the first tank of fuel through it to make sure everything is set up ok. Motor setup won't be perfect as it wont be fully broke in but everything will be lined up and you will have the electric starter on. Yes I would assume they will send you a new motor.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Bob Jablonski

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
As far as I know Hobbi o is a distributor for OS and doesn't actually own them. I'd assume OS, like other engine manufacturers, does make engines "to spec" for other manufacturers. Now a "to spec" engine can be the same as an engine in their normal lineup but with a different cooling head, different porting, or different materials and machining processes to lower costs of the manufacturer contracting OS wants a lower spec. If a particular "to spec" engine is not offered in OS normal product lineup then Hobbico and other distributors wouldn't have any info on it. SH makes engines "to spec" for LRP, Losi, Redcat and others.

Both OS and SH make good engines, but what Redcat spec'd for each is unknown. Ultimately I think your decision is going to have to be based on how bad you want the electric starter. Removing and installing the flywheel isn't hard. You simply hold the flywheel (a tool like a pair of channel locks may be needed), remove the flywheel nut and tap the flywheel lightly around the backside to break it loose. Don't forget to remove and save the collet on the crankshaft behind the flywheel.
The issue is the backing plate that has the opening for the the wand end. It bolts onto there older engine. but they updated to OS engines and haven't replaced a new backing plate that fits the OS engine. One of the issues is Redcat has a" you might like" section and shows a electric start set. so most people would assume it would fit on that vehicle. Then when you call Redcat and get a person grumpy day or whatever then everything go,s bad from there.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Old 04-11-2015, 03:25 AM
Stryker48

The issue is the backing plate that has the opening for the the wand end. It bolts onto there older engine. but they updated to OS engines and haven't replaced a new backing plate that fits the OS engine. One of the issues is Redcat has a" you might like" section and shows a electric start set. so most people would assume it would fit on that vehicle. Then when you call Redcat and get a person grumpy day or whatever then everything go,s bad from there.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Mr. Bob 10/10 for your customer support. Let me know if you ship to Canada, I would be more than happy to support you.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:32 AM
Bob Jablonski

Mr. Bob 10/10 for your customer support. Let me know if you ship to Canada, I would be more than happy to support you.
I would be glad to ship to Canada but the shipping rate on boxes not much bigger then a couple of Cox engines start to get salty nothing like shipping more then a pound to Austrailia though. At one time I owned Starlight Model Rockets, where I had distibutors in Europe and Australia and shipped quite a bit to Canada so I got to see shipping rates and scratch my head ($25.00 for a box to Toranto and the same box to Detroit is $7.00?)
Who knows maybe in a few months as my inventory grows I may ship to Canada anyways
Mr. Bob
Coutyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Stryker48

I would be glad to ship to Canada but the shipping rate on boxes not much bigger then a couple of Cox engines start to get salty nothing like shipping more then a pound to Austrailia though. At one time I owned Starlight Model Rockets, where I had distibutors in Europe and Australia and shipped quite a bit to Canada so I got to see shipping rates and scratch my head ($25.00 for a box to Toranto and the same box to Detroit is $7.00?)
Who knows maybe in a few months as my inventory grows I may ship to Canada anyways
Mr. Bob
Coutyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Good to know thanks!
Yes I know the cross border shipping rates are on the high side. whenever I buy things from the US, I either use USPS to ship. The courier companies like UPS and Fedex, their brokerage charges are just too high and absurd, quite frankly.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Guff15

Mr. Bob
County line Hobbies
11960 E. 500 North
Grovertown,In 46531
[email protected]
Bob, I greatly appreciate the offer, but I think I'll take care of the install and break in. Not that I don't trust you or anyone else, but rather I'd like to get it back up and running ASAP as my kids are not happy I decided to do the swap.....lol.

I'm still waiting on the other items my coworker has for the older OFNA LX Pro I bought off of him, mainly the transmitter and starter box. That car has a Picco engine with the "turbo line" on the backplate going to the bottom of the carb so no other option to start it.

Again, I really appreciate the offer. Your customers must be so happy to have a LHS like you!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Bob Jablonski

Cool. Keep us posted on the swap.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Old 04-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Stryker48

While I'm not a nitro guy anymore, I decided to ad a little fun to my electric driving experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyKISYcrNc
Old 04-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Guff15

While I'm not a nitro guy anymore, I decided to ad a little fun to my electric driving experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyKISYcrNc
Hahaha. ....that's great!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 PM
tcharger

Any word on how the Redcat O.S. .21 performs?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Guff15

Originally Posted by tcharger
Any word on how the Redcat O.S. .21 performs?
I ran about 3 tanks after break in with the O.S. engine and it performed well. Didn't seem to bad to tune either but it's more temperamental to the outside temp than the SH engine. It could be that I've gotten better at tuning though. I haven't noticed much of a difference in acceleration between the two either. Again, the only reason why I made a stink with Redcat about the OS was because I planned on getting the electric starter before I even bought the buggy and it doesn't work with the OS engine due to no backplate available for the OS engine. Now the list the Backdraft 3.5 as coming with a ".21 Big Block", which IMO is not misleading anymore but plain wrong. If someone wants to buy the starter they won't know about the backplate until it's too late.