Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Earthquake 3.5 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:32 PM
hawkycoach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Earthquake 3.5 Problems

I am new to nitro and I bought my sona Redcat Earthquake 3.5 4x4 monster truck with an SH .21 motor. It was his Christmas present. Well needless to say it isn't going according to plan. At first it would start but wouldn't stay running without the igniter attached. Ihave put the HSN anywhere between 2.5 and 4.5 turns and the LSN at 2.5 turns. Ihave alsochanged the glow plug. If I can get it started now it on runs a few seconds and shuts off w/igniter attached. It has never run without the igmiter on it. I have blisters and cuts all over my hands but I won't give up till this thing runs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I think my igniter may not be a very good one. It seems you can only use it a few times before it dies and requires a long charge.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
sparky 25

Default RE: Redcat Earthquake 3.5 Problems

You should not have to touch the lowend needle at this early stage,

First up you should check your fuel lines for leaks, are there any air bubbles in the fuel lines?

if the fuel lines are alright next thing you need to check is that your glowplug it not needing replaced,

there should be a good glow in the center of the plug with the igniter attached, if this is fine

try resetting the carb back to factory settings which i think may be 3 turns out on both needles,

thats what it was on one of my sh28 engines i use to have,

you also say that it will not run for very long when you manage to get it started,

try opening up the idle if you remove the filter and look into the carb you should see a 1mm gap in the carb,

if you can get it to start at these settings and it will not stay running try leaning out the high speed needle slightly,

just so as it keeps running,

after you get it to start, drive the truck slowly not revving past half throttle for few tanks before trying to lean it out anymore,

after about five or six tanks you can start to lean the high end out a little more,

let us know how you get on

Old 12-28-2009, 04:58 PM
hawkycoach

Thanks I have noticed that there are air bubbles when its sits in the house waiting for thr igniter to charge.  Is this normal to see if it sits for a couple of hours?  Also when its running there are maybe 1-2 little bubble sthat will form from the vibration is that normal.  If I have a leak obviously start with new hose even though they are new and the tank cap?  anywhere else I should look that could suck air new vehicle?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
sparky 25

The air will come into the fuel lines while the truck sits unused and this is normal

you should prime the fuel upto the carb just before trying to start the engine which should help it start easier,

do this by removing the fuel line at the exhaust end and slowly blow into it until you see fuel going upto the carb,

some people carry a spare clean piece of fuel tubing with them for this purpose

dont continue to blow into the fuel line after fuel reaches the carb as this will flood the engine,

Some really small air bubbles do form naturally with vibration etc,

but if there is alot of air in the fuel line while the truck is running this maybe why it does not continue to run,

at this point you should replace the fuel lines.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
sparky 25

I would not worry about leaving the glow igniter attached to keep the engine running at this early stage,

when you do get it to run don`t rev it past half throttle for a few tanks as this will shorten the life of the engine,

instead drive it in a large oval only reving upto half throttle momentarily on the straight before letting the truck free wheel while

making the turn repeat this for 4 to 5 tanks,

Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM
army2000ng
My Feedback: (3)

Like sparky said " check for air bubbles." I have an earth quake and placed a 2x4 under it, instead of running it around in a circle. I did this for the first tank just to break in the first tank. If the glow igniter keeps it going , don't worry. Keep it on for a 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, just to get it going. When I placed it on a 2x4 or something that will allow the tires to run freely, it allowed me to see if any bubbles were on the line. If you see the bubbles, watch as it goes into the carb, when this happens you will notice the engine dying down, this is an indicater that the fuel line needs replacement. I myself replaced the lines on my Caldera and my T-Max, it happens even on new vehicles. I own airplanes and the fuel lines are no different. I have other nitro vehicles and keep a roll of line just in case. Earthquake is a very strong and dependable truck. Beleive me I know because I run mine like crazy and it stands up to my other r/c trucks. These things happen to any and all other vehicles.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM
hawkycoach

Thanks I will try all this in the morning and keep you posted.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
hawkycoach

OK guys thanks for all the great advice. Icouldn't wait till morning so I got it running and ran 3 tanks through it. Definately getting more pep after each tank...the downside is is very cold here in CT and on the 3rd tank right before I was putting it away I nicked my fence at very low speed and it broke a plastic steering cross memeber.Are any parts interchangeable from other RC's and can I upgrade from plastic to anything stronger. Thanks again...Chris
Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 AM
army2000ng

You can go to redcat racing for aluminum parts or ebay. I drove mine into the woods today and had to get myself a steering knuckle. My fault. oops
Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Anomie

Moved from >> RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more >> RC Monster Trucks

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

The air will come into the fuel lines while the truck sits unused and this is normal

you should prime the fuel upto the carb just before trying to start the engine which should help it start easier,

do this by removing the fuel line at the exhaust end and slowly blow into it until you see fuel going upto the carb,

dont continue to blow into the fuel line after fuel reaches the carb as this will flood the engine,

but if there is alot of air in the fuel line while the truck is running this maybe why it does not continue to run,

DO NOT PUT A FUEL LINE IN YOUR MOUTH , FUEL IS POISON. To prime cover exhaust outlet with your thumb and pull start cord several times , you should see fuel flow to the carb. This will also test the seal on your fuel tank lid.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: hawkycoach

OK guys thanks for all the great advice. I couldn't wait till morning so I got it running and ran 3 tanks through it. Definately getting more pep after each tank...the downside is is very cold here in CT and on the 3rd tank right before I was putting it away I nicked my fence at very low speed and it broke a plastic steering cross memeber. Are any parts interchangeable from other RC's and can I upgrade from plastic to anything stronger. Thanks again...Chris
If you want aluminum parts or other replacemnet parts drop us a pm with a list and we will help you out.
You can also visit our website or drop us a phone call on our toll free line.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
sparky 25

ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

DO NOT PUT A FUEL LINE IN YOUR MOUTH , FUEL IS POISON. To prime cover exhaust outlet with your thumb and pull start cord several times , you should see fuel flow to the carb. This will also test the seal on your fuel tank lid.
Please try reading the entire post before shouting with CAPSLOCK,

I MENTIONED USING A SEPERATE CLEAN FUEL LINE FOR THIS PURPOSE,

Putting a fuelline in your mouth to prime the engine is the easiest way to prime the engine,

also i asked the o/p to blow into the fuelline and NOT DRINK the stuff,

i`ve been priming nitro engines this way for years,

other than trying to push your spares onto hawkycoach i see no other reason for your post.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM
RCToysNh

Putting a fuelline in your mouth to prime the engine is the easiest way to prime the engine,

other than trying to push your spares onto hawkycoach i see no other reason for your post.
Spares ?
Priming with thumb method is the safest way and also test your fuel system sealing, engine comp and exhaust leaks.
'i`ve been priming nitro engines this way for years' still does not make it right.
If we told all our customers to blow into fuel lines we would sooner or later have a lawsuit on our hands.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
sparky 25

If you want aluminum parts or other replacemnet parts drop us a pm with a list and we will help you out.
You can also visit our website or drop us a phone call on our toll free line.
Yea spares as in your original post.

Whats unsafe about blowing into a clean piece of fuel tubing?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
army2000ng

Both you guys are correct in the different methods used to force fuel into the car.You can also blow air through the exhaust pipe as well. The guy wanted some help, both you guys gave sound opinions, so lets leave it at that. Some even go out and buy a pump to push the fuel into the carb. Lets let this forum be like no other and just give advice not disagreement on how or which way is better.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM
army2000ng

I gave a good example of what not to do.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
hawkycoach

No need to argue guys but thanks for the genuine concern.  Actually I have seen it done both ways.  The videos on youtube also show it both ways also.  At first I did the thumb cover and it worked and later I blew into the tube and that worked.  Both seemed to get out the bubbles .  To the guy in NH I may have a friend swing by to pick up the parts I need in the next couple of days.  He is heading to Maine for the holiday and you are much closer than Arizona.  I think you may be the closest Redcat dealer to me.  I f so I think we'll be doing some business.  Thanks everyone for the great advice I couldn't have got it running without you guys.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in cold weather plastic is more brittle....this is why I dont run in under 50 deg weather.....by adding aluim parts to your truck your going to make it break in other places (usually more expensive and or harder to fix)....the aluim is also expensive, and when it bends (and it will) your gonna be out that much more money....places for aluim on rc's....hubs, towers, toe blocks (hinge pin retainers or whatever else you want to call em) and chassis braces as well as the chassis ofcourse.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
firebird78

Spares ?
Priming with thumb method is the safest way and also test your fuel system sealing, engine comp and exhaust leaks.
'i`ve been priming nitro engines this way for years' still does not make it right.
If we told all our customers to blow into fuel lines we would sooner or later have a lawsuit on our hands.

sorry man your post is misleading....you can have a tiny air leak in your fuel system and never notice it by holding your finger over the stinger and pullin the cord (been there done that)....best way I found to check my fuel system is make sure the tank is empty (I completly remove the tank and lines and clean em, no fuel) cover the carb end with my finger and gently blow through the pipe end...if it builds pressure and pops the lid you gotta a air tight fuel system...the engine wont build that much pressure by covering the stinger with your finger and cranking the engine....by not checking the fuel system (and engine) for air leaks you wont run up to par and will run hot
Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
rjsdad

firebird78,

Nice post, but how do you prime our carb if you don't mind me asking? I always started mine using the blow in the exhaust method, but as mentioned I have seen it done both ways.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
rcguy1411

i ve always put a finger over the stinger and pulled the engine over five or six pulls to get the fuel to the carb will take a few more pulls if you use a inline filter or have longer fuel hose this method has proven to be safe and has worked well for me for many years
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
firebird78

putting my finger over the stinger or pulling the line off the exhaust wiping it off and blowing....no particular way...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Mickstix

Another "safe" way to prime (which I read in a rc mag) is to pinch the line from tank to pipe, then pull the fuel cap open and let it snap shut a couple times.. You'll see the fuel run up the line to the carb.. I couldnt believe it worked myself, but it did.. (On a totally dry line/engine, that's sat for a few days, I still use the "blow" method though.. Just the fastest, easiest way imo.. Of course if ya have the hiccups or something ya might not want to put a fuel line in your mouth.. lol.. But give the "pinch and snap" prime a try!!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

I do not have one of these, but some other guys on here do, and they say they are great.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT POISON FUEL IN YOUR MOUTH (LOL). [sm=wink_smile.gif]

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFUD3&P=7]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFUD3&P=7[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.