Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

aftershock/backdraft 8e big dissapointment need help

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

aftershock/backdraft 8e big dissapointment need help

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
jbeane316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftershock/backdraft 8e big dissapointment need help

ok, first i want to say ive been racing and building rc cars on and off for 17 years. ive been out of the eletric stuff for a few years,but decided to get back in it.

this is a long read, i apoligize, but i need some advice.

me and my buddy went and bought a couple 8e's he got the truck, i got the buggy. obviously there the same thing, besides the bodys and hubs.

he got his first.

first thing i noticed, is theres a TON of slop in the steering. pretty crappy. being new to the lipos, we put em on the lil crap charger that come with it, and went to get a beer. after getting both batts charged, we took it outside on the flat street in front of his house. he drove it for about a minute. yes 1 min, before really going wideopen, it spun the tires ofcourse, and rolled over. this prolly happend at 5mph. it only rolled once and landed right back on the tires. give it gas and you guessed it the front hub carrier was broke off.

so he ordered 100 bucks worth of the aluminum stuff. put it all back together, took it back out, same flat street. feeling a lil more confident in it, hes a lil more agressive, ran it for about 5-6 mins, still on the first charge,,,, and it slides into some gravel on the edge of the road, and yep you guessed it, the steering arm broke.

then tonight, after fixing it batterys fresh off the charger, ran it for about 10 mins, come up the street in front of our shop, and hit the edge of the curb, and broke the entire front end. granted this was his fault for losing control, but holy hell,,, it broke the front chassis plate, steering arm, upper bulk head, front diff case, and upper chassis brace.

theses are the most fragile rc's ive ever seen. just to see i on purpose ran my 2wd slash into the same curb, and it just bounced off, spun around and i drove it for the rest of the battery pack.

so i get my backdraft in, first thing is the horrible slop in the steering just like we expected. charged the batts, set everything up, ran it for about 2 mins, and the screw fell out of the hub carrier. bought the part today, had to buy the c hubs to get the screws and lil alum spacer, they dont even give you the correct screws, so after digging through my boxes of stuff, i found a screw that worked, put it all back together, go out in front of the shop, run the rest of the battery out. bring it in, just to inspect everything, and holy crap. the front hub was broke, the pin was hanging out. luckily i had just bought a set for the lil alum spacer. ive never even had it off the ground. no jumps, roll overs, nothing.

so i have a couple questions.

1. is there any fix for the slop in the steering? i compared the steering arms from my slash, and it looks like it may work,, looking for sugestions.

2. what can we do about these things breaking on flat ground? we had planned on racing these at the track this year, but if they break on flat concrete, it wouldnt make 1 lap on a 200 ft track.

thanks in advance for any help,,

jeremy beane.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
BigDave09

Default RE: aftershock/backdraft 8e big dissapointment need help

they just came out theres gonna be alot of problems with em and man im sorry for all that but this is a hit and miss sport ur gonna have ups and downs
Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep your broken plastic parts.

By mid next we will be putting together a plan so you can get new upgraded plastic parts at no charge if you have broken the stock parts.

This will apply to a few parts that I will list by Monday on the forum.

We realize that with any new vehicle there are a few issues but we have recently resolved beefed up the plastic to make it stronger on some key components.

We will simply ask you to send the broken parts you have to us via the mail and when we get them we will replace them at no charge. This will be for the original stock (non upgraded) parts.

Keep your eye on the forum and we will let you know what parts will be covered for free and what changes we have made to the parts.

We are unsure if these problems exist on all of the 8Es as we have seen mixed reports on this forum and others. Some people have no issues at all and have jumped, cartwheeled etc.. while others have a similar story to yours. We cannot get confirmation from our factory if it is a bad batch or just pure luck of the drivers, so swapping out anyone that has these issues with the original unmodified plastic parts is the best way to handle our customers.

Have a great day and we truly apologize for the issues you have had.

Darin
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

That Ali guy isnt the only guy that tests for yall is it? Because his videos are horrible. Anyone can edit a movie and make it look like the featured trucks is doing these amazing things with no breaks or real crashes. Look at the videos of REAL testing these damn trucks need alot development time. Spend alittle more time making them and you will have MUCH happier customers.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

does this apply to everyone?
because my front hubs both broke,
spur gear
steering linkage
on the backdraft 3.5 and same thing flat ground, after 3rd run,
no crashes at all.........
so can i get upgraded parts as well?

ORIGINAL: RedcatRacing

Please keep your broken plastic parts.

By mid next we will be putting together a plan so you can get new upgraded plastic parts at no charge if you have broken the stock parts.

This will apply to a few parts that I will list by Monday on the forum.

We realize that with any new vehicle there are a few issues but we have recently resolved beefed up the plastic to make it stronger on some key components.

We will simply ask you to send the broken parts you have to us via the mail and when we get them we will replace them at no charge. This will be for the original stock (non upgraded) parts.

Keep your eye on the forum and we will let you know what parts will be covered for free and what changes we have made to the parts.

We are unsure if these problems exist on all of the 8Es as we have seen mixed reports on this forum and others. Some people have no issues at all and have jumped, cartwheeled etc.. while others have a similar story to yours. We cannot get confirmation from our factory if it is a bad batch or just pure luck of the drivers, so swapping out anyone that has these issues with the original unmodified plastic parts is the best way to handle our customers.

Have a great day and we truly apologize for the issues you have had.

Darin
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM
RedcatRacing

Ali makes videos for us. He is a great guy that works very hard for Redcat. We also do testing in Arizona and at the factories.

We are not perfect but we do our best to ship value packed products. From time to time there are issues and when we find issues we do our best to fix them.

Thanks

Darin
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 PM
RedcatRacing

It will apply to anyone that has the original stock parts for the vehicles. Some things will not be covered such as spur gears. Spurs break when gear mesh is not set right but we will surely help you out if you broke some of the parts that will be covered.

Check back by mid next week, we will post the official thread with what you need to do to get your replacement upgraded plastic parts.

Darin
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Devils-Reject

thats cool now
how about a discount if we buy the metal parts to replace the same type plastic, like my front hubs broke, can i get a discount on the metal hubs? and the metal linkage that broke?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Mickstix

That's cool of Redcat to acknowlege and attempt to correct the problem!! With the rash of posts the last few days its obvious they have an issue that needs attention! That's why I like RC Universe and the support forums, cause with alot of brands you dont get to post in a public forum with their owners..

I'd like to step up for Ali and his videos.. As far as RC videos go, on youtube, his are better than most.. And unless ya have some form of proof that he's posting anything but legit videos, it's not very cool to insinuate that their fake or edited so you only see the "good" takes.. I seriously doubt he would start a series called "lets break redcats" if he was going to delete scenes where they break and only show when they survive? I dont see where it would benefit him or his integrity to do so, so unless he says they are, or someone who's got some proof shows me that there fake, I'll continue to believe and promote the Ali Shanmao "redcat" videos.. So, thanks for the vids Ali, they help alot of folks as well as myself!! (And they show some damn tough redcats jumpin off that cliff!!)

Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Devils-Reject

yea i watched them all about 100 times while waiting for my redcat to come, thats one of the main factors that made me get a redcat is i could see them in action and in detail online b4 hand.
i would love to have his job, i could sit here all day and make professional videos about R/C
i already make videos for youtube that would give me a steady subject matter to make my videos on.

i almost made one for my backdraft for a brand new review but i decided to wait and good thing i did or it would not have been a very good video..
Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 AM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

Im wasnt trying to say there a fake just that they are edited. They are clearly more of a promotional video than a testing video. Like any other test videos you generally use single take single run shots where you can clearly see how everything went during the stunt. His videos do show stuff like jumps but more often than not do cut immediately after the intial landing and does not show stuff like handling around three feet after the impact. I know that my handling on my volcano s30 goes to shi* for about four or five feet after a atleast a three foot jump, so saying that if i was to tape a jump and then cut the shot after it first lands people would expect that these trucks jump pretty well but thats just not the fact, they are to unbalanced. My comment was indeed uncalled for, i was simply aggravated with a personal dispute and released my frustions online instead of to the misses, so i do apolgize.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: Devils-Reject

thats cool now
how about a discount if we buy the metal parts to replace the same type plastic, like my front hubs broke, can i get a discount on the metal hubs? and the metal linkage that broke?
Devils-Reject

We offer discounted prices for the aluminium parts on our site.
Drop us a PM with the aluminum parts you want
Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM
kart45

WOW - Thanks for the update Darin!

How many other manufacturers actually get online in a public place (in 'use-my-keyboard-as-a-weapon' setting no less) and legitimately discuss their product, potential short-comings, and a way to resolve them?

jbeane316 -
I posted in another [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9442627/tm.htm]thread[/link] here regarding the 8E platform and fixes I've performed so far. I am hoping to get my Aftershock on the track this summer (just too much for our indoor carpet track ) and was worried about the same issues. I can't say I have the steering slop issue though, my standards may be a little lower
Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
dudecat

Awesome of you redcat to do that for people with those weak parts. Know if some other companies would do that.......
Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Devils-Reject

i just got back from the hobby shop and i matched up a traxxas spur gear 38 tooth and used a bushing from traxxas wheels and it works perfectly.
part number 3954
untill the ones xenon is sending me gets here so my car will at least work till then. cost me $6
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Devils-Reject

and another thing.... on the front hubs...... when you make the replacment kits for them why not inlcude the tiny little set screws along with the new parts?
when they break unless you find that tiny little peice of plastic, the set screw is gone, and the new ones dont come with new set screws, and not everyone has teeny tiny set screws to replace them with...

[ im in the middle of replacing mine and im missing that tiny set screw for both sides now due to the fact the package does not come with any
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Mickstix

Devil, do you have any pix of the broken, and new parts? Im curious to see what was breaking.. (I seen thre pix of the wheel hub with the pivot rod showing, but couldnt figure out what part was broken) My Tornado has a different suspension, and I think my Monsoon does as well.. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Devils-Reject

yea i will take new pics of the fixed front hubs tomorrow and post them.....

that traxxas spur gear worked perfect, i took it out at 10 at night in the store near me back lot
nothing busted, but i wasnt beating it just running it around at about 1/2 throttle for the most part.
it is very cold out to.
my super glued steering linkage held up to that was a shocker!!
i had gone to the hobby store and a bunch of stuff and meshed the gears right and they are holding strong.
it was also the right run with the new badlands tires they were sweet to.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM
mdst1960

Well since the Aftershock weighs twice as much as the slash and is 4 wheel drive so there are many more parts that can break. I have 2 Slashes and bought the Aftershock 6 months ago. Sure its had some problems but what RC off road dual lipo truck thats RTR does not? If you have 17 years under your belt I am confused as to why you don't have a AE SC8 electric or the OFNA dual lipo kit. Redcats are mainly for people who are just starting up with the hobby and don't (or want to) spend alot on of money on Race Track Quality cars and trucks. Mine has served me well and I admit it needs to be "hopped-up" if you plan on going to your local race track. That being said you can't find a faster Short Course truck that is srtaight out of the box with no modifications for about $300
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
jbeane316

ORIGINAL: mdst1960

Well since the Aftershock weighs twice as much as the slash and is 4 wheel drive so there are many more parts that can break. I have 2 Slashes and bought the Aftershock 6 months ago. Sure its had some problems but what RC off road dual lipo truck thats RTR does not? If you have 17 years under your belt I am confused as to why you don't have a AE SC8 electric or the OFNA dual lipo kit. Redcats are mainly for people who are just starting up with the hobby and don't (or want to) spend alot on of money on Race Track Quality cars and trucks. Mine has served me well and I admit it needs to be "hopped-up" if you plan on going to your local race track. That being said you can't find a faster Short Course truck that is srtaight out of the box with no modifications for about $300

i asume this was directed at me.

i have spent thousands of dollars on rc stuff over the years. im honestly going to guess 20k plus over 17 years of playing bashing and racing.

it pains me greatly to pay 5-6 hundred bucks for a box of plastic parts. thats why i dont have a ae or losi.

for example, a losi 8t is what 5-8 hundred bucks? i have a hot bodies lightning stadium truggy, that i bought on one of there exclusive deals for 299 brand new. yes the radio is crap, but its worked, the truck box stock with the addition of aftermarket tires, and my custom shock set ups, runs in the top 5 every week end with the 1000 dollar losi and ae set ups.

thats the main reason why i bought a redcat. for the price, its a great deal. i think you missed the whole point of my post. it has broken driving on flat ground. i dont care how chaep it is, it should not do that. i expected to upgrade the truck a bit to keep it competitive. but i didnt expect to have to replace parts from playing on flat concrete.

i currently own 2 slashes, a mini slash, the hotbodies nitro truggy, losi xxt, a old losi jrT converted to a rug truck, and now the redcat. soon to be on the list is a scale crawler to play in the back yard, and if the red cat doesnt work out, i'll be replacing it with a slash4x4
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Mickstix

jbean, if ya havent checked out the other thread yet, a guy posted a link to a cool fix for the hubs. (if you had that problem) using some Traxxas threaded pins.. Check it out!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Goatcrapp

Hi Redcat - thats pretty cool that you're offering a parts exchange program.

Acouple of my own parts that failed (not broke from bashing, but simply failed) were replaced under warranty - so your service is definitely good in my book.

this is for an aftershock 3.5, not the 8e... but the parts referenced should be similar or the same between the two models.

A few suggestions:

- that spur gear is the weak link by design - that much i get... but since these redcats are targeting an entry level audience - that mesh *NEEDS* to be set properly from the factory, or a note needs to be included with the cars to have the end user make sure they check it before running.

My first spur gear stripped the first time i hit it with 3/4 throttle during my 4th tank of break in. The problem was incorrect mesh - something which, in retrospect i should have checked, but instead took fore-granted since it was a RTR.

- the front pins falling out are just simply a design flaw. They can fall out in such a way that the wheel will turn full lock and stay there. Results in either a flip of the car, or losing control.

- the steering slop mentioned seems to originate at the servo-saver. there is a LOTof movement at those linkages, up down, forward and backward.. all of which produ8ce a less direct lateral motion when the servo applies force to it.. the end result to the user? slop.

- similar problem on the rear pins. Mine never fell out, but i've found them "emerging" from their holes.. lol. pushed back in and some compression tape saved the day - but yeah... another design issue IMO.

- suspesnion settings:from the factory - these things are very tippy.. full throttle from a stop and the thing will just maul itself. apexing a turn and gassing it leaves it feeling unsettled. Forget about washboard road... all in all it was difficult to drive.... never had that neutral feeling. The fix was easy as pie, and perhaps something you should look into. I adjusted the pre-laod on the springs (for mine and a friends, both had the same 1/4" worth of threads preload - so i assume this is a "factory"setting.) to approximately 3/4" (is essence, creating a harder and sharper spring rate/progression) and i added a heavier shock oil (50WT). this dramatically changed the handling of the car favorably.

On the other hand - I DOhave redcat to thank for a crash course - pardon the pun... in fixing RC's. Iwas basically a novice when i got the aftershock... and quickly (very quickly) was forced to learn how to take it apart and put them together again. It paved the way for my confidence in getting several more RC's of different types and i'm completely addicted.

I'll also stick up for Ali. Ilike his vids - very informative when you're approaching the hobby as a novice. He was also personally very helpful - ready to answer questions and evaluate the needs of a novice who might not know any better at first - and his advice was very good. Not sure why anyone would pick on him, in fact lol. Plenty of his vids show the breakings that were experienced...

Anote to everyone - in this cold - plastic parts can get very brittle and brake more easily.. Unless its a dumb failure, i usually don't consider winter breaks to be a mfr. problem - just the cost of playing in cold brittle plastic weather.

jbeane - ever consider a monster truck as a basher? it won't handle like a short course, but the mgt 8 that i run, and a buddy's savage XL are both extremely tough... and some of the bashings gone wrong had each of us swearing we'd be running up to a pile-o-parts at the bottom of the hill/ramp/tree/whatever lol.

In terms of fun factor - even my road cars are shelved in favor of the monster truck when i just want to go out and run something.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 AM
jbeane316

ORIGINAL: Goatcrapp

jbeane - ever consider a monster truck as a basher? it won't handle like a short course, but the mgt 8 that i run, and a buddy's savage XL are both extremely tough... and some of the bashings gone wrong had each of us swearing we'd be running up to a pile-o-parts at the bottom of the hill/ramp/tree/whatever lol.

yes, ive had 8-10 monstertrucks. i wasent interested in a basher when i bought the red cat. i have a few slashes for bashing.

and mick,,,, yes i ve posted a few times in the other thread.