Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Newby Nitro Questions...

Hi guys. I am very new to the forums and to RC nitro cars in general. Ihad a few questions about the nitro engines and some issues I'm experiencing with my overall car.

1a. My engine runs hot, all the time. Icannot richen up the fuel mixture enough to keep it cool. After running for a while, the top of the block (nearest the top of the piston) is measuring anywhere from 270-300 degrees (with an IR thermometer). If I richen the HSN, the car will not crank easily, or will cough as Iaccelerate at full throttle.

1b. The engine coughs on accelerating only after I've idled for about 20 seconds or more, and the engine is hot. If Icontinue to run the car, the acceleration is fine. Iam wondering if fuel is building up in the engine/carb and it gets too much fuel right after idling. When Istart running it again, it takes a few times of accelerating before its back to normal.

2. Inoticed that when Iam on pavement, the car (Vortex SS) leans heavily when turning, even on small turns at lower speeds. It also has a tendency to flip quite easily. Should Istiffen up the shocks, and if so, should the front shocks be stiffer than the back due to the added pressure on the front wheels during the turn? What else can be done to help with this problem?

3. Is it ok to run a 1/10 scale car in grass? If not, what is the minimum scale size most people use for running in the yard? Are electric cars better than nitro for this? Any recommendations?

Thanks again for the assistance, and Ilook forward to getting more involved on the site!

Thanks,
    WP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Newby Nitro Questions...

You can make themotor hot by having the low speed needle too lean as well.. Do the "pinch test" and see if your low speed needle is set right. (LSN's are very sensitive,adjust in 1/12 of a turn) And see if it's too lean on the low end.. If so, that may help your temp issue, as well as it loading up on fuel and boggingwhen taking off after a long idle.. But if the needles all check out and it's running too hot, theother culprit is an air leak somewhere..You can search RC Universe for "sealing a nitro engine" andfind directions on how to seal one up with RTV silicone..

On the handling, yea stiffer springs will help the roll, as well as adding a sway bar (or stiffer sway bar if ya already have one) Depending on how loose or tight you like to drive a car, will depend on how stiff togo in the rear asopposed to the front..I wouldnt get too carriedaway though, just try a little stiffer spring, or maybe some thicker oil in the shocks andsee how that does..

As for 1/10 on grass, about the onlything big enough for grass in 1/10 scale are MonsterTrucks.. Some of them have enough ground clearance to dofine on grass! Actually even in 1/8 scale, Monster Trucks areyour best bet for running in the yard.. I have a 1/8 truggy, andwhile it's got big tires, it's ride height (ground clearance)isnt very much,and it'llget bogged down inuncut grass.. A buggy has a little more clearance and thinner tires, so they'llbe better than truggies, and the Monster trucks are thebest, imo, on grass..

Hopesome of that helps!!Welcome to theforum!!

Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info, and Ilook forward to being active on the boards.

How does having the LSN too lean cause it to load up on fuel? Iwould think that it would be because its too rich and can't burn all the fuel at idle. Ihave done the pinch test and the engine will rev slightly and then shut off in about 2-3 seconds. Ibelieve its set pretty close.

Ican also see some small air bubbles in the fuel line after its been running a while. Could this cause the engine to get too hot or could the hot engine cause this? Is it normal to see these bubbles?

Thanks again for the help... trying to learn all Ican about these cars and the proper way to run these things...

WP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lsn can cause the engine to run hot from to much gas going makes it work harder sounds wierd but it does remeber factory setting 2 mm on the idle screw 2.5 on the hsn from the bottom up and 1-2 on the lsn happy rcing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, it sounds like your LSN is pretty close, if it revs slightly and shuts off within 1-2 seconds.. You could try and tune it by ear as well, and see if that makes a difference?? Here's a cool thread I found on another forum..From what I can tell (from lots of reading)the guy knows his stuff.. I plan to give this tuning method a try as soon as I get a chance.. May be worth a shot!!Good luck!Performance Turning: Let the engine tell you
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a definite air leak to me. Seal the backplate, carb throat and exhaust header with high temp, sensor safe copper rtv. Small amount on the o rings or other sealing surface. Let it dry for a few hours or longer. Depends on how much you use. It doesn't take much. Over night is always best. I've had success using a tooth pick to apply the rtv. Use it in a dabbing motion; as to stand up the sealant a little bit. Make sure the head bolts are tight while your at it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Watch the videos on youtube from alishanmao very informative. Or watch the videos on redcats site. I would choose to do either of these options before doing any mechanical work you would be surprised.
    Authorized Redcat Racing Dealer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi I have a vortex ss I've had it for about a year and I use 80 weight silicon shock oil and it handles and jump's great compared to the stock oil which it really doesn't have shock oil when you buy it so make sure you fill the shock oil about 3/4 of the way also the springs are for ride height there not to dampen your jump I leave my springs weak , I',m thinking about putting slash tires on mine and building a roll cage for it also, has anyone else modified their's if you have tells us about them.
    Thanks