Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DSM-2C (2.4GHz Radio) Blinking green light?

Hey all, Irecently got a Redcat 2.4GHz radio systemand when Istart usingit, the green light blinks?(steady blink, about 1 per second) It's bind to the rx fine, and controlls the car fine, but I dunnoif it's normal or what?I initallythought lowbatteries, but it'll do it right off the charger and the red and green lights are both very brite.. (Im using 1.2vNiCD rechargeables, so maybe it's detecting less than 12v?? (8 x 1.2 = 9.6)I dunno.. Idont want to risk the car running away, butIm 99% sure the batts are fine?(I test each one with the DVM and they all read "over" 1.2v) Does anyone who has one of these radio'snotice ifthere's does the same thing??Thanks for any info!
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DSM-2C (2.4GHz Radio) Blinking green light?

Sounds fishey, i used regular batts. energizer and had no blinky lights. Try some different ones and see if that does anything? Goodluck. Oyea the lights are bright!!
    Dealer for... Redcat Racing, Global hobby,HPI,XTM, Traxxas, and more lebanon valley hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

when the light blinks it means the batterys are low...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, I think it means low voltage too.. I looked over the mini disc again, that came with it, and although the manual is for an FS-GT2 model, it looks the same as the DSM-2C, and in the specifications it says it has a low voltage warning below 9v.. Doesnt say what the warning is, but I guess a blinking green light adds up.. But here's a concept Redcat.. How bout an actual "description" of the low voltage warning in the instruction manual?? LOL..

Thanks guys for the info!!
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey again Mickstix,

Let me know how that radio works out for you. I am curious as to buying one, and need a review before I get one. My stock AM 27Mhz radio seems to cause my servos to twitch when i am giving them no input. I changed receivers to a Traxxas unit. Also, my throttle servo has already fried. i replaced with a Hitec unit.

Anyway, let me know how it does, and I may order one.

PS: I got a great fail-safe from Xenonproject.com

Cya,

Merc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Other than the blinking light (which we now think is normal) it's a decent radio!Probably the best dealon a 2.4 thatI've seen!! (The basic model doesnt have "endpoint adjustments" though, and that can be a problem if your servos range of motion is more than your linkage will allow) But so far I like itjust fine!And the range is very good!I do have skepticism in the servo quality they use on their 1/10 scale models though. I've read numberous stories (as well as one of mine)about servos that go bad for no apparent reason, and w/o much use.. If yours are twitching or humming, I'd try new batteries first (and test it outdoors cause indoors and garages seem to have lots of interferance) and if they still do it, it's probably the servo's. As far as quality, there AM radios and 2.4 are about the same. Only thing I really dont like about them is the battery trays.. I dont know if all brands have gone this route or not, but older radios used to take the batteries all lined up in a singlerow of 8.. It didnt leave much room for error, but the Redcat (and maybe all brands these days) take the batteries in 4 rows of 2, which can cause connection problems especially since NiCd & NiMh AA cells are shorter than standard alkaline AA cells.. Theconnection just isnt very solid where the batteries come together.. Ihad to solder tabs on the ends of my AAnicd's before they'd make a solid connection.. All it would take, before that, was a slight shake or bump of the radio and the lights would dim or go out.. So, make sure you have new alkalines in there for testing the electronics out.. Good luck solving the twitch!!
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look at the batteries, sometimes the tab on the end is short so it doesnt connect to the metal. Cause mark had that happen. Same brand, nicd fit great and had a long tab, nimh didnt work cause it had a shorter tab and didnt touch
    Redcat Racing - Dunerunner, Hurricane XP, Aftershock 8e, Volcano, Volcano epx, Vortex epx, Tremor 18e pro
    Its me ti**tae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, that's what I found when I measured my nicd's, nimh's and normal alkalines.. (The Energizer Alkie's were consistantly 1-2mm longer overall, then the nicd or nimh..) Dont know if all brands are like that, but the yellow sony "AA" nicd's and some energizer rechargeable nimh AA's I got for my camera were..  That's why I soldered a small square piece of a cut up battery bar on the end of 4 of em, to take up the slack.. Worked perfect in the AM radio, and seems to work fine in the new 2.4, except in the 2.4 the light starts blinkin due to the 9v voltage warning.. Anyway, it's probably easier/better to just go with regular alkialine batts in the tranmitters these days.. They last a good long time..  
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello thought I'd go looking for information on this radio read some interesting stuff here but was wandering about some other things as far as the radio goes I read were someone mentioned the lack of end point adjustments which in my own opinion is something I look for in a flight radio especially but my question for those here who own this is the feel pretty smooth?
    And to claearify what I'm getting at are there any spots in the steering department that seem like dead spots,and while I'm at it I might even ask the same about throtle controle as well the prices I've found so far aren't too bad but if this isn't really even a step up from the el-cheapo AM I'm using now at this point I find it almost obserd to think of putting a Spectrum in the car I'm using now other than the fact that I could move up latter on (better car) but on the other hand I really need to get something done about the radio situation I've got now.
    But on the other hand I feel the same way as someone posted on this thread I'd really have to know just how well this thing works in conjunction with the vehicle its in I'm running an exceed champion that I intend on putting a brushless in very soon but really want a good tight radio set up I'll likely (well no doubt about it) be replacing the servo and doing some chassis upgrades before I go brushless.
    One other thing anyone know exactly how many models can be run with this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, it's plenty smooth, both steering and throttle, and no deadspots or anything like that.. It's lack of EPA could be an issue, but It's yet to cause me any problems.. It does have a "dual rate" for the steering, so you can turn down/up the range it turns.. But for the throttle its just got a trim knob.. Also, it's not a computer radio, so you can't save settings (trim, epa, etc)for seperate models.. You can run as many cars as you like off it, as long as you get additional rx's and bind them to the radio, but you'll have to reset the trims and dualratefor each.. It's basically the bargin basement of 2.4GHz... If your not having receprion probs with your AM, and dont mind the retractable antennea, etc. I'd just keep it and save for a real "computer" 2.4GHz radio, with model memory.. I saw one with 10 model memory for like 79.00 on a different forum.. If I can dig up the link I'll post it for ya..

Here ya go.. 3Channel,10model memory, 2.4GHz Airtronics
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info Mickstix well if its got dual rates it might actually be worth a try at least for something to hold me over couldn't be much worse than what I've got now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks guys i love this site vary big help