Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

after shock disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:16 PM
blockdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: after shock disappointment

track will be open for practice as soon as weather breaks as far as regular racing not really set yet.I know on
memorial weekend there's a 2 day rc monster truck competition.They're also talk about a 6 hr. nitro short course
 endurance on July 4th.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM
jbeane316

ORIGINAL: blockdoc

track will be open for practice as soon as weather breaks as far as regular racing not really set yet.I know on
memorial weekend there's a 2 day rc monster truck competition.They're also talk about a 6 hr. nitro short course
endurance on July 4th.
cool, i'll deff be keeping an eye on the site.i have a nitro truggy, and some sc stuff. 2wd slash, and this redcat 8e
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
kart45

Great idea on the fix, didn't know the Traxxas parts would interchange that well[8D].

I like it, I'll definitely keep a set or two of those in the pit box.

Still eagerly awaiting Darin's response on OEM replacement parts
Old 02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Mickstix

BlockDoc, welcome to the forum!! Man, that's a slick fix ya'll came up with!! I've been wanting to get a picture of what is actually breaking, and if Im seeing it correctly, I agree with the guy on the other forum.. Thats a poor design!! Correct me if Im wrong, but that whole section behind the pin is just there because it has ears attached to it, to hold the pin in?? And from looking at the mods, you can remove that whole back section and use these Traxxas pins in place of the stock pin, and the threads on the Traxxas part keeps them from falling out? (Is that correct?) Here's the Traxxas part in case anyone is wondering..

Looks like you could also break the ears off, anddrill a small hole on the ends of that section (where the ears were attached) and screw in small "flat head" screws, and let the "head" of the screw overhang the stock pin, which will also hold it in place?? Again, if it is what I think it is.. The pix are a little small on the other site, but I think I get the idea.. Anyway, thanks for posting the fix!!Definitely something I'd do,if I hadan Aftershock!!I figured there was a way to overcome these hub problems!! Cheers!!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

YES THOSE PINS ARE A GREAT IDEA..
i will be doing that for sure...
i also found a traxxas spur gear that as well.

it has 5 less teeth, im not sure if that makes it go faster or slower but it was 2.95 at the hobby shop so i bought 2. i still have not got the replacment parts.
as for those front hubs 
look here
http://erieoffroad.com/Spur-Gear/100_3706.JPG
zoom in on the front wheel and you will see the missing "cap"
i had bought new ones as spares  around the same time i bought the car like the next few days... so when they came in i replaced those shown in the pic for the ones... i had 1 run on the flat ground and the new ones busted...

http://erieoffroad.com/Spur-Gear/100_3709.JPG
these busted ina different place
now i took the old broken ones and combined them with the second set of broken ones and im still able to run the car for now...
since then the turn buckle on the steering arm snapped

i have owned several cars and never seen one so fragile
i had an associated truggy and it never busted a thing and i used to ramp it off everything from garbage can lids to ramps, curbs....

when i get all these replacment parts redcat is gonna send me ill let you know how it works out....

Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Mickstix

Cool, thanks for the pic! I see now what's up.. If they dont go to the threaded pins (which is probably the best fix they could do) I think they should redesign the arms to accept a flat head screw (with shorter pivot pin) so the screw head acts as the pin keeper.. You could probably do it yourself with a dremel and small flat head screw.. My schumacher touring car had pivot pin keepers like that.. Would look similar to this: (Photoshoped image of your hub)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Devils-Reject

yeah i thought of that as well i have longer screws i was planning on throwing into the new ones when they arrive.
i also took -[ on the side that didnt break after being replaced-] black elec. tape and wrapped it a bit.. i then took a small zip tie and put it around that area to hold it tight
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Mickstix

Uh oh! Breakin out the black tape and zip ties!!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Devils-Reject

hahaha oh yea i busted out the big guns...
i also super glued the steering linkage and its holding strong..... unreal hahaha
i figured the zip ties would be a good idea they are hardly visible and keep pressure on the hubs to prevent breakage
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Mickstix

Whats up with the steering linkage? Got any pix of the broken part?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Devils-Reject

yea its already been glued here but you can still see where
http://erieoffroad.com/Spur-Gear/100_3686.JPG
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Goatcrapp

Hi all -just wanted to add to this discussion. My aftershock 3.5 had the same problem with the spur gear during break-in. It was new, and i was new... so i didn't check the mesh. I've since installed two more - one stripped due to some high throttle landings, and this last one has lasted alright (its currently off the road now due to a crash)

aside from my crash however - the c-hub, servo saver, and a lot of the other front end parts were frustratingly weak for a car sold and advertised as a short course basher... seems like if i werent simply driving it in circles (oh wait - even THATcaused the same pin failure as shown above LOL!) then even a small off center landing would crack front end parts.

Its alright for the money - but the amount i've had to spend to get it mostly reliable puts me in the range of much better quality cars.

Iam not dogging on redcat - i actually like the vehicle, and it has alot of quality packed into a cheap package... but after getting some more rc's from more recognized makers, i can also see where they were able to save that money.

I'm using my MGT8.0 for bashing now (can't kill that thing - its a tank!) and am fixing the aftershock - still trying to decide what i want to do with it. Someone did an awesome touring car build off of this chassis - so i may wind up doing the same and keeping it for parking lots only.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 AM
RCkiller420

my steering linkage just broke today on the track by just landing a lil hard on the front right but nothin that should brake parts... and i had to buy the metal c-hubs too.  its seems llike its one thing after another.... does anyone know about gettin diffrent bodys that fit the aftershock??
Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Devils-Reject

ORIGINAL: RCkiller420

my steering linkage just broke today on the track by just landing a lil hard on the front right but nothin that should brake parts... and i had to buy the metal c-hubs too. its seems llike its one thing after another.... does anyone know about gettin diffrent bodys that fit the aftershock??
i know what you mean i have taken my car out like 10 times, and something has busted at least 9 of those times.
when i used to run my other cars i never had a single thing snap.

i must say redcat did send me a ton of parts to fix it

Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Devils-Reject

ORIGINAL: RCkiller420

my steering linkage just broke today on the track by just landing a lil hard on the front right but nothin that should brake parts... and i had to buy the metal c-hubs too. its seems llike its one thing after another.... does anyone know about gettin diffrent bodys that fit the aftershock??
i super glued my linkage and i got dollar store super glue that was $0.60 for a 2 pack. i super glued it one time and it has held up great.
i now have 2 new linkage's included the metal one. i have not installed them yet because the glued one is holding strong.

i strongly recomend spending the money on the steel hub carriers. they look cool and are way stronger....
the downfall is they are what $36 a pair front and rear and if u bend them thats a whole lot of cash down the drain