Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Earthquake 3.5 runaway crash during break in

Iam pretty much brand new to RC trucks. I have an earthquake 3.5 with a 2.4ghz radio. During the 5th tank during break in, the throttle servo started acting twitchy. It was only about 20 feet away from me. As I was bringing it back it took off at high speeds out of control. It pancaked a curb at high speed and split the truck in half. It was a pretty spectacular crash. One I did not expect on the first day with the truck. After I got the truck home I noticed I had some servo interference, the throttle twitched when I turned the steering servo. I replaced the batteries in the receiver and it seemed to be smooth again. Could it have really been week batteries and how long should the receiver batteries last. The batteries were Costo's Kirkland brand batteries. I now have 80 dollars of replacement parts to rebuild the truck and I am a little, ok a lot scared to run the truck again. Do you think Ihave other problems besides cheap batteries?

Brandon

RE: Earthquake 3.5 runaway crash during break in

I think most runaways are contributed to batteries in one form or another.. (either from the actual cells going low, or from the cells getting disconnected for some reason) Interfearance can also do it, but if you put in new batts and it cleared up, I'd say batts werethe cause.. Ihad a similar run away when I first got my Tornado, but it was the transmitter batteries that casued it..Luckily I smacked the bottom of the radio, and got it back before it got out of range.. I've since soldered tabs on the bottom of 4 of myrechargeable "AA" batts, so they make solid connections in the transmittersbattery tray..So, make sure your getting good connections with the batts in your tx, and rx, and secure the rx batteries with a rubberband to keep them from shaking loose while running.. Also, since your already having to order new parts, throw in a Failsafe so it'll at least have a chace if it looses contact with the tranmitter.. Also a throttle return spring can be used incase the linkage happens to fail.. Sorry to hear about your misfortune though.. Welcome to the wonderful world of RC..

Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See....Like I have said in the past...These trucks are JUNK..!!!....Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...But ..Next time..spend a little more $$$ and buy a quality machine..(I know..because I have been down the "RedCat Road" before...Buyer beware..!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Failsafes and 5 cell rx packs solve these types of problems. A vehicle isn't junk because of a runaway. A runaway always boils down to the operator. Faisafe, quality 5 cell rx pack and a throttle return spring are all must haves before you run any nitro truck. Not just the ones that most of us can afford.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Relax pal.....I wasn't bashing anyone..Just stating a fact..and for the difference in $$$ it's not that much of a big deal,,,Ya see..People see Redcat as a great deal for a Nitro car because of the price,,Not realizing that ya can't just go out there and bash with them..They can't take the abuse..The brittle plastic crap that they use can't hold up.....I paid neary $300.00 for my Volcano S30...And right outta the box nothing but problems....RedCat support is Fantastic...They go above and beyond to help you..(Ever wonder why..??)..I ate my loss on the Volcano S30 and bought a used Traxxas Jato.........Completely different truck....Barely any needs for adjustment..takes a beating like you wouldn't believe...Parts are cheap and accessible....
    New comers are getting a bad taste in their mouth when they are buying Redcat.....For the little extra $$$ it goes a long way..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Newbies have the same problems with all kinds of vehicles. It doesn't matter if you buy a Losi 8 rtr for $800 or a redcat for $300. If you let the batteries get too low without a failsafe, you'll have a runaway. People just need to slow down and read up. Anybody that sticks with this hobby for a year or so always finds their early mistakes are do to ignorance. The great thing about this hobby is that it gets better with time and experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Couldn't have said it better...You are 100% correct on that..But,,I still stand on the RedCat policy,,Just my opinion that's all man..
    I just hate to read about all the complaints on these trucks.....It gets people out of nitro all together,,and we need more nitro nuts..less electric..!!!!..Especially here in Canada..!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you too. An average fellow just starting out in the hobby shouldn't have to seal their damn engine and set their gear mesh straight out of the box. Simple things to an experienced rc person can be very confusing to a new person. Too any newbie, just remember that there is no such thing as a dumb question. Keep 'em coming. We're here to help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best point brought up in a while...The gear meshing thing..Wow..Are you telling me that the company couldn't take that little extra time and mesh it for you..??.....That was brutal setting it up...Can you imagine how many people will screw up their brand new trucks just trying to get that part right,,??.....Clever of Redcat eh..lol.....If ya ask me..RTR shouuld mean..add fuel..break in ...and drive.,,!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Havent had any problems with mine except breaking servo saver and that was operator error..... I am new to the hobby and this thing starts on command and tuning was and is simple.
    I bought this as a starter truck to learn with, once I get the feel for controlling the thing I will spend money on something real nice.
    Not everyone wants to dump big dollars into something and then wreck it because they dont know what they are doing and just learning.
    To people that think this stuff is junk.........I believe that even like auto makers.......they all make a few lemons no matter what the brand.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you....But..wait till you try a "better" truck...and you'll notice a real difference.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would have to agree that I wish that the RTR meant gas and go. I wonder if Redcat would consider a tune up sell option. Correct meshed gears, all bolts tighten properly (loctite when needed).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that's an idea...Charge the customer..$29.95 extra..to have it complte and ready to go..!!
    I'd pay it in a heart beat..(If I ever thought I'd buy another RedCat)......Brilliant idea....Submit it to RedCat directly..!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK OK OK I don't know what happened with your volcano sv s30 but my truck when i took it out of the box i just checked the gear mesh it was on the money the one thing i did do was to back out the motors screws out and put some loctite but i do this to any of my rc rtr cars i buy because it's habit and i'm talking about any rtr i buy not only redcats i do it on my more $$$$$$$$$$$ trucks to you just can't think that the company going to do every one right and to tell you i have had more trouble with my more $$$$$$$$$$ truck and cars then i have with my volcano sv s30 and cars i have but to say that they are junk because of some problems that newbies are having it's not fair and just in case you might think i work for redcat racing i don't i just know that some people have one problem with there truck and bam it's junk if it was like that then all rc are junk because all rc no matter how much you pay for it they going to have problems and about taking them and bashing them hard and they don't take it i do not know where you are running your truck but my truck i bash it hard and jump it high and the don thing keeps on going and if they are junk why you keep coming back to this forum and trashing redcats for just don't buy them and move on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ouch....Easy tiger....Get your back up much..??..Settle bud.!!!
    No one here is bashing anything..Each person is entitled to their own opinion.....So..If ya don't like it..Then don't bother coming back..!!..Easy enough to understand.....??
    Thanks for your input..But,,guess what..no one asked for it..!
    As for what I run..Currently it's the Tamiya TNX 5.2R (Big Block)..The HPI MT2..The Jato 3.3 and The Jato 2.5R...Now..You show me a Redcat capable of keeping up with or outrunning or outperforming any one of these trucks..and I'll call ya a liar to your face..!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, can we all agree (to some extent) that Redcat is a good product for the price. I wish I could tell you that I have ran other buggys or trucks before, but that would be a lie. I can say that I have had my spills and thrills and broke something when I thought it wasn't a hard crash, and swore that I demolished the front end after I hit the curb to find out that nothing was broken or cracked. The term bash defined personally. What others call bashing some would say they are just driving it round in circles. I was able to purchase two Redcats one for me and the other for my son...we have a blast. I heard that others would have said that I should have bought a used one, but I could not find myself giving it to my son on Christmas Day. Again I have said it before that Redcat and others companies like Redcat found a nitch in the market. Now I am skilled enough that if I wanted to purchase a major brand I could without the fear of breaking it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I AGREE that's what i was trying to say for the price you can't go wrong i think for a first nitro truck or car they are good to learn on with little cash out of pocket

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YesI agree..For the price...it is a great entry level truck...The only point that I was trying to make was..These kids out there watching You Tube
    see these videos of Nitro trucks..and think that all of them should run a million miles an hour and are indestructable...Well..as we all know,,they aren't...
    Redcat is perfect for the beginner/learner driver...Just don't crash at high speeds to expect to go mudding..!!,,lol
    Enjoy the toys boyz..Don't argue about them....That's for our wives to do...lol
    Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow!! I didn't mean to start a debate on how good or bad redcats are. I knew when Ibought it, it was an entry level truck. It sounds like my choice of using cheap batteries caused the premature drain on the receiver batteries which intern caused the runaway. Using good batteries, how often do you usually change/charge them? I live in the Seattle area, Iwas wondering if anyone could recommend a good rc shop to pick up a fail safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To be honest....I run Energizer Pro's..and they last weeks at a time..andI try to get out 2/3 times a week...Even in the dead of the Canadian winter.....Only 2 of my trucks have fail saf'es on them and I have never ran into a problem....You'll usually notice a lack in power when the batteries are dying..(Throttle servo moves slower and won't open up fast)..That's when I change my batteries

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

boge97 sorry now as a good rc shop around your way i don't know but just go to redcats web and go to parts and order the one they have or on ebay you can fine some there and get a hump pack for your truck so every time you just have to make sure you charge your pack and for your remote invest in some rechargeable batteries i'am not going to tell you that they are cheap because they are not but if you look at it you be spending more in buying batteries every time you have to get new ones duracell has some and energizer has one too they come with a charger you can get them in target or walmart

ORIGINAL: delorean123

See....Like I have said in the past...These trucks are JUNK..!!!....Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

People see Redcat as a great deal for a Nitro car because of the price,,Not realizing that ya can't just go out there and bash with them..They can't take the abuse..The brittle plastic crap that they use can't hold up
    I hear ya!Just look how easy these "pieces of junk" break!Crappy brittle plastic cant even take a little fall like this..
    Cheap Redcats getting broke After watchin that one, do a search of the guys channel..He's got over 20 more vids dedicated to just how easy these break! Enjoy..
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mickstix do you even know who that guy on the video he works for redcats and he dose all of there testing and in the video you put what i see is that he took five cars and jump off a cliff and what i saw is out of the five only one breaks and on the vid he said it was his fault that it broke like it did because it fell face first so i don't know what you saw but i saw something diff and i think any rc that jumps off a cliff like that and does little or no damage at all is good and not junk anything that has plastic on it is going to break and even jumping off a cliff like that on to rocks and if there are any rc out there let me know because i will buy it no matter how much it cost

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First off if you paid $300.00 for a volcano u got had!! Redcat sells it for $219.00. You can also find it on ebay for $179.99. You can't compare redcat and traxxas they are way different. Also the Redcat parts are by far cheaper than 90% of the brands out on the market. All co.'s have their problems. I once had a Tmaxx 2.5 and it ran hot out of the box bought a huge custom coolin head for it and it still ran hot, i found the problem the carb was not sealing so i put a little sealer around it and that fixed my (brand new truck). Again all brands have their problems, you just got a bad one it happens they are all mass produced. Redcat has simple how to videos on their web site if your not sure of something just look and read a little. If your not sure how something works reguardless what it is don't you read the instructions?
    Dealer for... Redcat Racing, Global hobby,HPI,XTM, Traxxas, and more lebanon valley hobbies

ORIGINAL: big hec

mickstix do you even know who that guy on the video is
    Sorry big hec,it was justmy (obviously poor)attempt at sarcasm.. And I agree with everything you said.. That was the point, to get people who want to believe thesecars are junk, to seejust how tough they really are..But the regulars on here will vouch for me.. Im a fan of Redcat and Mr.Shanmao..
    Mick Nesevitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast