Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano epx pro brushless issue...

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano epx pro brushless issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
lor35228

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano epx pro brushless issue...

For some reason my volcano epx pro can no longer go a distance of more 80ft. If my RC truck go beyound 80ft it will start to do weird things by itself without me doing anything. For example, the truck will just throttle foward by itself for like a few seconds, it will repeat that process for a while........Not sure what part is defected, help...thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Triscuit

Default RE: Volcano epx pro brushless issue...

What kind of battery are you using? the included stock one or a lipo? We had an issue like this and now it just stutters all the time and is having and issue even operating and all redcat told me to do was try a lipo and good luck basically. IMO they need to either include a lipo and charger in the box as a stock part or change the crappy ESC design by using an external low voltage cutoff instead of one you CANNOT disable that is built in and have a replacement program for it
Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 PM
landow

sounds like you having a range problem with your transmitter how are the batteries in the transmitter?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
rcguy1411

could also be a broken rx antena wire
Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing....stupid 6.0 volt cut off it stutter's with a crappy nimh battery, but flips on its roof with a 2s lipo!!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
lor35228

I'm starting to think that it could be the ESC because I can still turn the wheels when I'm far away and I can still pull the trigger to make the rc go but it just very shaking and stutters ALOT! I already try different battery for the transmitter gun and receiver. I also try different reciver and transmitter. I also tried different 8.4 nimh battery, still doing the same thing. So my guess is the ESC or either the Motor, but i'm leaning towards te ESC, what ya think?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

Brand new to hobby grade RC's. I had a couple of questions.
I have just received my Volcano EPX PRO, took the battery out, charged it for 9.5hrs like the "manual" says to do. Well, I understand the high pitched squeel when you hit the accelerater but the motor or drive shaft sounds horrible. Almost sounds as if something is loose or broken. I couldn't imagine that Iwould receivea bad truck straight out of the box but is this normal?
How do I properly break in the brushless motor?
Also, since I don't think that this truck is waterproof how would I go about driving in the snow?

Any help/advise given is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 AM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TCA999

Brand new to hobby grade RC's. I had a couple of questions.
I have just received my Volcano EPX PRO, took the battery out, charged it for 9.5hrs like the ''manual'' says to do. Well, I understand the high pitched squeel when you hit the accelerater but the motor or drive shaft sounds horrible. Almost sounds as if something is loose or broken. I couldn't imagine that I would receive a bad truck straight out of the box but is this normal?
How do I properly break in the brushless motor?
Also, since I don't think that this truck is waterproof how would I go about driving in the snow?

Any help/advise given is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
The crappy sound is normal for brushless vehicles. It sounds as if metal is rattlling.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find when mine does that, I slowly feed it throtle and it will get to top speed. it is almost lke it has to learn. cause then it's fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
TCA999

Thank you so much. I feel much better. Yeah, I've picked it up so no wheels are touching ground and slowly throttled it(wants to rip out of my hand) and then the sounds go away pretty much at high speeds...Bad little truck though.
Any thoughts on running in the snow? I'm in Iowa so it's only about 20F here...I'm not rough with it at all in the cold since I don't want to break any parts. Oh, any tips on to break in the motor? or is that only for nitro/gas engines?

Thanks you guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
chevyderek72

Break in is really only required for nitro motors, you can break in a brushed motor, but brushless doesnt require a break in, since there is nothing touching the rotor.

If its only glitching at 80+ feet, it just sounds like a frequency issue, maybe a crystal or maybe you are just getting some interference.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
TCA999

After running my Volcano EPX Pro a couple of times it now runs great! The thing just moves around like a bat out of haitis...I was running in about 25 degree weather and rolled it end over end a few times but then...my luck ran out. I snapped my back right tire clean off. Ordered new parts and is all good to go now...I would like to say that the EPX PRO is a very good truck. RedCat adds new upgrades to their line often.  I would like to know a good 2s lipo battery and charger setup for it though...Any thoughts with out going way expensive?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 AM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

The stock packs that come with the Redcat 8E's work well. BILLYMARE has the Vortex Pro and when he stops by my shop he uses my 8E's pack. It is a Hard case 2c 3200 mAh lipo. With the 1 pack it becomes a Monster and pulls the front wheels No Problem. The only thing is you will have to get raised mounts for the battery strap to hold the hard case lipo. It is no big deal and is very easy to do. The Lighting body mounts should work to raise the strap height so it will hold the lipo pack.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM
TCA999

Awesome thank you. Yesterday Ibought two 7.4v 5000mah LIPO's and a LIPOsmart charger. They should arrive in a couple days. Do you think Iwill be okay without a balancer for just about a week or two? I can't wait to test them out. I also just put on the shock shims(black plastic 3/4 of a circle looking things) and it helps the suspension significantly.

Anyways, just let me know if I'm okay with no balancer for a week or two.

Thanks.