Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Vortex wheels & tires

Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
cul8tr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex wheels & tires

What tires and wheels are you guys trying out on your Vortex's? I was thinking about rc4wd 1.9 Dirt Diggers they are almost the same height as the stock Vortex tires. Billetworks design has a wheel that you can offset to the inside or outside for crawlers. The reason I ask is on my 1st run with a 3s lipo the truck spun out at speed tumbled and split the rim on the outside edge. My fault I know but just wanted to see what you guys are using. Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 AM
cul8tr

Default RE: Vortex wheels & tires

I also thought about trying the rear tires and wheels form the TRX Jato.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iused stock wheels and tires from a Tsunami. Looked OK. Or Rear Rustler black crome wheels...looks prety mean. Any wheels with a 12mm hex you can play with. How long did your vortex run with the 3s lipo. Mine does wheelis with 2s, right Kurt? LOL

Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Yea I think I'm going to make you a wheelie bar for that little Monster. Next time you drop by the shop we will see how long it will run with the lipo when it is fully charged. My guess quite some time, That battery was not even charged and it was ripping around like that.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM
billymare

Cul8tr ran a 3S...do you wana try 1 of those if you have one?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
cul8tr

3s is a handful at full throttle. Didn't get a full run on the 3s, snowing and raining here. Going to use 2s 30c or 40c. 2.2 buggy tires are about the same size. That way I don't have to cut the body.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
billymare

I just raised the body post's a little and they cleared prety good...It looked realy mean with the rustler wheels tho.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
cul8tr

Well I took out the inside battery posts. Took the outside posts out trimmed the nipple off the bottom of the post and put them back in side ways. Now I can use my 2s lipo hardcase. I used a foam spacer to the rear of the battery to offset it to the front. I'll try it out tomorrow if it's not raining or snowing. Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
cul8tr

Works great on 2s at 24c, more controlable than 3s at 30c. 35wt oil front shocks and 30wt in the rear shocks. I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM
cul8tr

The stock body not much count, the lexan is to stiff. Not flexible and cracks easily. Tumbled a couple of times and body pieces broke off and went flying, good thing for duct tape. I'm going to try my old TRX Sledgehammer tires or maybe Slash wheels on the Vortex. The bumper I really don't like the sharp angle on them. The bumpers take all the hit and not the suspension. This is the main reason I am going to try a taller tire. The Vortex is very stable at speed even when you whip it around on the pavement. Unlike the Slash which flips easy, unless the Slash has been modified. 35wt oil in the f and 40wt in the r, might up the rear to 45 or 50. 35 in the f, I can drop the trk and it doesn't bounce. 40wt in the rear it bounces a little bit. Jumping with 35 f and 30 r had to much rebound. My bro and I hit head on by accident and shredded my body. Not before I trashed it after a couple of tumbles and crashes. Might try a Jato or Crowd Pleasure body next, but would really like something to cover the wheels.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
cul8tr

Hey guys, well I put 2.2 wheels Traxxas part no. TRA3674 and mt old Sledgehammer tires with Team Epic Inc. TRITK1512 foam inserts. Had to use a small washer on the front to space the wheels out a little. Also put a Rustler body on it. With the wheels and tires mounted it is a lot more controlable. No more speed flips now I can run it full throttle without flipping. Tall grass is not a problem either and the chassis dosen't slap the ground when landing from a jump. The body, now I can jump it without the nose going straight up when it gets any air. It jumps level. Well now I need a fan for the ESC. Since I can run longer the thermal shut down does it's job and shuts me down. No biggie the fan will be put on shortly. Stock tires and wheels measure 3 5/8" tall and 1 5/8" wide. The new set up is 4 3/4" tall and 2 1/2" wide. Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
cul8tr

Thank goodness for Radio Shack. I picked up a fan for $14 and put it on the esc and it works great. My bro bought one form Traxxas for $30. OUCH!!! The truck is running great now. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
cul8tr

Well I ran the truck today. I need to put a fan on the motor. Drove it hard today bumped the brick wall and the curb with no failures. Oh yeah tumbles, cartwheels and some crashes.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 PM
billymare

How bout some pics?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Mickstix

Yea, lets see some pix!!