Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano S30 Motor Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Merc250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano S30 Motor Upgrade

Hi all,

I had a misfortune with my SH .18 motor in my Volcano. This is my first nitro vehicle, and I failed to break it in properly. After the first tank, I didn't put the piston back to BDC, and the cylinder constricted around it, causing a catch in the cylinder. I then broke my pullstart, and used a drill afterwards. The drill ran the catch out of the cylinder, but also ruined my pinch.

Long story short, I am in the market for a new nitro motor. I plan on taking advantage of the Redcat Engine Replacement program. My question is this: What motor can I put in my Volcano S30 that will add more power? I am looking for enough power to pop wheelies, so that I can run with the T Maxxes.
Thanks,
Merc
Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Mickstix

Default RE: Volcano S30 Motor Upgrade

Does the Volcano S30 use a slide carb or a rotary carb?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Merc250

Mickstix,
My motor has what appears to be a rotary carb. The linkage pushes an arm, and that arm rotates a ball valve type thing in the carb throat.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Mickstix

Yea, rotary carb is where the linkage "rotates" the arm.. On a slide carb the linkage "Slides" the arm in and out.. (see below pix) Also,I opened a thread on another forum, askin about upgrades to the SH.18 so I'll let ya know if I get any good suggestions for ya!

Rotary Carb:

Slide Carb:
Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Mickstix

They actually did recommend 2 engines.. Here they are..

OS18 CV-RXO.S. 18CV-RX ABC

LRP .18 S Pro Spec 2

Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Merc250

Are these motors drop in replacements? As in can I use the same exhaust and motor mounts?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

Unless your going to SLOWLY take off both of those engines are going to destroy your driveline. The sh.18 is the biggest that should be pit in one and be able to not care as much about the power.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Mickstix

Yea Merc, I believe they should bolt right up! But go ahead and measure the motor mounts and make sure the holes are the same, just to be sure! Both these engines list the "Distance Between Mounting Holes Same Side" and "Distance Between Mounting Holes Opposite Side" (As well as some other measurements you can double check against your motor/motor mounts) But your going to have to use your flywheel, clutchbell/clutch, and clutchnut from the SH18, as the new motors come just as pictured.. And your drivetrain should be fine with either of these .18 engines as well.. They'll give ya more pep, but the biggest difference between the SH and these, is these are better built with better parts and will last alot longer if ya break em' in right and treat em' right..
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Merc250

Awsome! When my tax return arrives, I shall order the OS motor, because it has a 2 year warranty and almost the same power as the LRP. The LRP has a 3 month warranty. Besides, the OS says MAX on the side.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
pcnewman

HEY MERC 250, Did you ever make this swap? How did it work out? I'm wanting to do the same swap on my Caldera.