Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat's Remote Start

Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Mr_Byte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat's Remote Start

Darin, I don't know if you guys have thought about this or not, but with the remote start cars out there (Reaction, Ten-T, the Acme one, and yours) and all kinds of people taking the remote starts out and modding them for use on other engines/cars, it seems there might be a market for a kit for this.

I guess my question is, is your remote starter sort of generic? Able to fit on other engines?

I've modded my Traxxas EZ-Start .15 and it now spins up my SH .28.

Have you guys though about getting a kit together to do this? I'll say now, I'd buy a reasonably priced kit, $60-75 dollars maybe. Losi's ROSS components list out around that price for the whole setup, but I think the one way bearing is going to make their kit a "one size for OURS ONLY" rather than a cool mod for say, an SH .28.

Just saying.

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Redcat's Remote Start

The quailty will be no where near what losi is producing.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
buggyboy2010

I`m sure it will be
ORIGINAL: tylerjackson

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
tylerjackson

Then your out of your mind. Seriously unless your like sixteen or something and have no clue about quality control and standards then do some research. How do you think redcat vehicles are sold around $150 - $250?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
buggyboy2010

Excuse Me? How About You do some practical research bud, I`m 23 thank You very much, And I`ve owned the same Redcat`s for the past 3 years with very minimal problems, Take a look at their site bud, prices range from $150-$1500.. Sounds lik entry level to advanced to Me.. Letting the everyday person get into the fun of RC, I`m honestly frustrated at people because they just continue to state useless, exaterated opinions on a perfectly suitable RC Company and their products, And I`ve been here for over a good 2yrs and it hasn`t stopped no matter what no one says and how much proof is shown.. So why try really, Be as thick-headed as the rest. I`m very impressed with My buggy and wil continue to buy these products.

ORIGINAL: tylerjackson

Then your out of your mind. Seriously unless your like sixteen or something and have no clue about quality control and standards then do some research. How do you think redcat vehicles are sold around $150 - $250?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
tylerjackson

The prices you are viewing are what REDCAT sells them for. Shop around the "$1500" products are sold for $700 and redcat THEMSELFS have told me that their products are projected towards entry level drivers so of course even professional can drive them. They can also drive wal-mart style RC's now cant they?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Mickstix

Tyler, you really should do some research of your own.. Even though there are problems (which are being addressed)with the Ultralight chassied cars, read a few of the support threads of their other models!! They make quite a few that are bothexcellent quality andlow cost!!

Oh, and whats with the infatuation with everyones age?Seems like every thread your in, you question how old the poster is? I dont think anyone really cares how old the posters are..
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
tylerjackson

Apparently you didnt read my last post.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Mr_Byte

It's all good, Mick. Tyler is obviously only impressed with how much something costs, because "It's gotta be better than the cheap one." Lest we forget, it must be better if it costs more, though it probably was made in the same Chinese factory, and shipped over on the same boat if not in the same container.

But it says "Losi" so that makes it all worth it.

I grew out of that. Took a bit though.

Losi's ROSS system looks like they made it hard to adapt, and about as well built as my Sportwerks Chaos.

Losi is over priced. Period. Because in the end, when someone smashes a $500 Losi into the wall, well, there's half their mortgage down the tubes.

But when I smash my Hurricane into the wall, or a tree, it either
A. bounces off.
B. is a lot less money to fix it.

The Pro series is outstanding, and the 1:5 scale stuff is amazing. My Hurricane hasn't broken anything but the front bumper, and that was from full speed into a guard-pipe at the track. I'll bet with a few tweaks, and a better driver, my Hurricane would take 1st.

But I bash. I play racer now and then, but I'm not a good track driver.

And Tyler, I asked about a Redcat remote start kit, don't hijack the thread with your infantile crap about the supposed better quality of Losi. If you don't like Redcat, then stay out of the Redcat forum.

Damn troll.

Thank you and have a nice day. Now beat it.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 AM
mdst1960

If you don't like Redcat products why are you posting negative opinions here? These forums are ment to be constructive. Yes you have the right to your opinion but I can't figure out why you want to broadcast the fact that Losi,HPI Traxxas ect ect are so much better than Redcat. Don't you we know that?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Mr_Byte

ORIGINAL: mdst1960

If you don't like Redcat products why are you posting negative opinions here? These forums are ment to be constructive. Yes you have the right to your opinion but I can't figure out why you want to broadcast the fact that Losi,HPI Traxxas ect ect are so much better than Redcat. Don't you we know that?
While I've never owned Losi, I wouldn't say that Traxxas and HPI are better. HPI is about as hit and miss as Redcat. Traxxas isn't all that great, IMHO.

But I do like their EZ Start.

Can we all talk about remote start systems now, please?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
buggyboy2010

Yes, lets, lol. Ok for starters, When the heck did they come out with remote starters!?!?!?!.. Man I have been outta the RC game for a couple yrs to long lol.. Who origanlly came up with the idea and how does it work?.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Mr_Byte

Well, so far as I know, Traxxas first developed their Ez-Start, ?? years ago. It's an onboard starter, basically a 400 size motor that goes thru some gear reduction and turns the engine for you. It also heats it glow plug. The battery is hand-held, and the circuitry that cuts the amperage to the glow-plug (it's 7.2v to the motor) is built into the wand.

Someone took this and bypassed the switch in the wand and wired an ESC into where the battery hooked in and made it work on the 3rd channel.

Sportwerks released the Reaction, which is a 1:10 scale stadium truck that has a streamlined system, made to be remote start, but it's much like I described above.

Redcat's just releasing their Reactor, and while the name is similar, they had that contest here to pick the name. But I won't be the last to draw the connection.

Anyhow, Redcat's got a remote start on their new truck.

Losi's got the Ten-T, but while I haven't yet gotten their starter in my hands to look it over, it appears that they're trying to lock you in. Gotta have their engine for their starter.

I hate that.

I home-brewed mine based on a Traxxas EZ-Start for the .15 engine (EZ-I) and then taking an ESC, I power the motor and the glow plug with the ESC. The glow-plug voltage/amperage is dropped via a ballast resistor (used in older 1:1 cars for the coil) and I use a 6-cell 7.2NiCd to power it.

But the thing is, I'd like to see a kit put together by someone, so that instead of having to buy and modify, we could just bolt it on, much like a Tiger Drive is now. or even the Roto-Start kits you can get from Redcat today.

I like hacking and modding, but sometimes, it's nice to just open the bag and bolt it in.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
buggyboy2010

ORIGINAL: Mr_Byte

Well, so far as I know, Traxxas first developed their Ez-Start, ?? years ago. It's an onboard starter, basically a 400 size motor that goes thru some gear reduction and turns the engine for you. It also heats it glow plug. The battery is hand-held, and the circuitry that cuts the amperage to the glow-plug (it's 7.2v to the motor) is built into the wand.

Someone took this and bypassed the switch in the wand and wired an ESC into where the battery hooked in and made it work on the 3rd channel.

Sportwerks released the Reaction, which is a 1:10 scale stadium truck that has a streamlined system, made to be remote start, but it's much like I described above.

Redcat's just releasing their Reactor, and while the name is similar, they had that contest here to pick the name. But I won't be the last to draw the connection.

Anyhow, Redcat's got a remote start on their new truck.

Losi's got the Ten-T, but while I haven't yet gotten their starter in my hands to look it over, it appears that they're trying to lock you in. Gotta have their engine for their starter.

I hate that.

I home-brewed mine based on a Traxxas EZ-Start for the .15 engine (EZ-I) and then taking an ESC, I power the motor and the glow plug with the ESC. The glow-plug voltage/amperage is dropped via a ballast resistor (used in older 1:1 cars for the coil) and I use a 6-cell 7.2NiCd to power it.

But the thing is, I'd like to see a kit put together by someone, so that instead of having to buy and modify, we could just bolt it on, much like a Tiger Drive is now. or even the Roto-Start kits you can get from Redcat today.

I like hacking and modding, but sometimes, it's nice to just open the bag and bolt it in.
Wow, That`s a really cool idea,, I definetly want to get My hands on a kitwhen they become available, I also like hacking a modding My buggy.. Kinda gives it that Ratrod feel lol..

Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Mr_Byte

I'd love to see a kit. So far, the close thing we have is to order the starter components from an existing car and hack them in.

But maybe, Darin might favor us with a kit. I'm waiting to see what the setup on the Reactor is like, it may be bolt-on now, depends on if they mucked about with the size of the backplate or gave it some custom one-way bearing setup or something.

If I only had a lathe. And a mill.

Someday...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: Mr_Byte

Darin, I don't know if you guys have thought about this or not, but with the remote start cars out there (Reaction, Ten-T, the Acme one, and yours) and all kinds of people taking the remote starts out and modding them for use on other engines/cars, it seems there might be a market for a kit for this.

I guess my question is, is your remote starter sort of generic? Able to fit on other engines?

I've modded my Traxxas EZ-Start .15 and it now spins up my SH .28.

Have you guys though about getting a kit together to do this? I'll say now, I'd buy a reasonably priced kit, $60-75 dollars maybe. Losi's ROSS components list out around that price for the whole setup, but I think the one way bearing is going to make their kit a ''one size for OURS ONLY'' rather than a cool mod for say, an SH .28.

Just saying.

Keep up the good work.
SHHHHHHHHHH

Soon to be released.

Below is the vehicle:

The specs are as follow:

Remote Start Nitro Truck. With the push of a button on the remote, the vehicle will start assuming it is tuned.
1/10 Scale Truck
3.3cc .20 Engine
2 Speed Transmission
Ready to run
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
tylerjackson

ORIGINAL: mdst1960

Who the hell are you talking about? If it was towards me then read some of my other posts before you post something so stupid. I never said i dont like redcat. if it was towards someone else then my bad.

And to you Mr. Byte do me a favor and show me ONE FU**ING POST where i said i dont like redcat. I have been here on RCU helping people with their redcats for almost three years with several different screen names and have also had several redcats MYSELF. Redcat's shockwave was my first ever hobby grade RC and to this day i still have it. Try looking at older posts before you state that im a damn redcat hater.

And when did i ever say "It's gotta be better than the cheap one." ? Im done typing.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Mr_Byte

And to you Mr. Byte do me a favor and show me ONE FU**ING POST where i said i dont like redcat. I have been here on RCU helping people with their redcats for almost three years with several different screen names and have also had several redcats MYSELF. Redcat's shockwave was my first ever hobby grade RC and to this day i still have it. Try looking at older posts before you state that im a damn redcat hater.

And when did i ever say ''It's gotta be better than the cheap one.'' ? Im done typing.
Here:
First reply.

If you want to bash the quality of the Aftershock or whatever that brushless/lipo model is, great. It's not just me that figured you hate Redcats.

It's not my job to look at your older posts to understand any context you might be speaking from when you come in and just make like whatever the Redcat staring system might be, it'll not be up to the standards of anything Losi makes.

Furthermore stating "The quality will be no where (sic) what losi is producing" certainly doesn't add to the intent of the post, which would be trying to persuade Redcat to release a starter kit based on the stuff that's in their new model.

Is it any wonder that people think you're bashing Redcat? You come on a post and the first words typed are the equivalent of "It'll suck" and you get your arse chewed and it surprises you?

I have a Hurricane, and a Monsoon that's still in the box, for 3 years now. The 'Cane runs like a scalded dog. I had a Shockwave that I upgraded and beat the hell out of, then cleaned it up and sold it because I like the bigger 'Cats.

I've seen REAL crap (Sportwerks Chaos) and Redcat is not it.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Mr_Byte

ORIGINAL: RCToysNh

SHHHHHHHHHH

Soon to be released.

Below is the vehicle:

The specs are as follow:

Remote Start Nitro Truck. With the push of a button on the remote, the vehicle will start assuming it is tuned.
1/10 Scale Truck
3.3cc .20 Engine
2 Speed Transmission
Ready to run
Yup. There's a whole 23 page thread about naming it. It's called the Reactor.

I wish they'd picked a different name though, because the haters will say "Oh, they ripped off Sportwerks!!"

Sportwerks **deserves** getting ripped off by Redcat. It might make them better.

[sarcastic reference to Tyler:]
Note: I just bashed Sportwerks. Note: You don't have to go back in my posts to figure this out.
[/sarcasm]

I want parts pricing, and pics of the starter. It may be what I'm looking for to bolt on to other stuff.

Any definite date for release, now that's it's been named?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
tylerjackson

Man im done with this back and forth thing. Im sorry for eveything i said.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Mr_Byte

Hmmm...looks like we got modded. Probably a good thing.

My XTM Monster w/remote start is getting close to done. I know it's not a Redcat, but it does have remote start now, so it's on-topic if not specifically this brand.

Anyhow, the deal with this beast is that I got it Johnny Cash style on eBay (y'know, 1 piece at a time) but when I got to the point of the front/rear ends, I had an Ofna LX One carcass here that I had a drivetrain in so I frankenstein'd it onto the XTM chassis.

Then I melted the first aluminum clutch shoes in my 13t bell using the LX1's center diff. Need more torque...bigger spur gear(s)...

So I got the tranny for the monster, and a reverse kit for a mammoth and bolted that in. Only 1 speed though, need the 2spd clutch-bell. Soon.

Now to the point: I crammed the EZ-Start onto my SH .28 (First mill on my Hurricane, sleeved) and stuffed that in there.

If you've ever watched the YouTube about the remote start Revo, then what I've done is similar. He used his EZ-Start wand for the electronics.

Bah! We don' need no steenkin' circuit boards, we hack on bare metal here in the Redcat Forum, so here's what I did. I've even decided on Pics!!

First, get you an ESC. I honestly don't know what brand mine is, except it's out of a plane, and there's a button it needs pushed when I change batteries to make it actually work.

And while I love Redcat, don't use their inexpensive ESC. I've cooked 2 of them. Probably this draws more amps than the 'Cat ESC could handle.

Program this ESC to be "Forward Only" in whatever direction you choose. It really doesn't matter, I think. Mine only goes 1 way, so I got it easy. ;-)

Now, put a Dean's on the output lines of the ESC. On the other half of the Dean's, solder on 2 wires per side. 2 of these you fit to the starter motor.

(Just a note here, in this post, I'll say motor for the starter motor, and engine for the Nitro mill.)

I use the glow-plug lead from Traxxas, though I have a different setup I could use that fits over the entire plug from an experiment I was doing. The Traxxas works, but I don't like that it only fits some plugs. The long-reach plug-adapter you find in these kits for planes to relocate where you stick your ignitor would work.

Whatever you're using, hook it on one of the empty leads you put on the Dean's.

Now the fun part. In the EZ-Start I have, the first version, Traxxas used a ginormous resistor to drop the amperage supplied by a 7.2V 6-cell pack to the point that it won't cook your glow-plug. This resistor feeds the yellow ground wire that you hook to your engine anyplace.

What I do is go hit Advance or AutoZone and I get a 2-pole (My AZ had 2 and 4 pole) ballast resistor. For you young un's, that's a part we old farts used in our 1:1 cars to drop the 12v in the electrical system to 6v that our coil needed, lest we fry the coil's guts and wonder why we have no spark. It's failure was blamed for my parking at the local Lover's Lane a few times while I as kid (Hey, it's better than "Ooops, we're out of gas Hunny...") ;-)

Take the last unused lead off the Dean's and run it to a spade connector. Hook this to the ballast resistor. You should insulate the connector with shrink tube or similar, as you do not want a short.

Now make a new lead (I used the Traxxas yellow lead) and put a small tiny eye connector on one end, and a spade on the other. Insulate both with shrink tube. A short here between the 2 spades would eliminate the ballast resistor as the only way thru this circuit for the ground (Bzzzzzzzt!!!) and that'd mean 7.2 volts going thru to your glow-plug.

That's the electrical part.

The mechanical part is a bit less "Cut-and-Dried" as it can differ from engine to engine, or car to car.

I had to hack my EZ-Start so it'd clear the exhaust flange on my .28. If you're using the same starter, you will likely have the same issue. I also drilled 4 holes in my backplate for a roto-start. From what I can tell, there's 2 standard sizes of backplate, the smaller one like what's on my Force .28, and this larger size that my SH and my Associated have. It makes getting a Roto-Start a pain in the butt, and I'd gotten the wrong one.

The gears in the 2 different sizes are the same. I had an Ofna on here before, and I've interchanged Ofna and Redcat's gears with no issues. The big thing in the larger gear is the size of the hex, it's either 12mm or 13mm.

Someday, when I have a lathe and a mill I'll try making a gear that fits both.

Ok, so I had 4 holes drilled alread that line up mostly with the EZ-Start holes. I used a #51 drill and a 2-56 tap for mine. I think a 2mm tap would work as well, if I had 2mm screws.

I believe a 3mm screw would be to big. There's probably a better way to do this, but I ain't found it yet.

Bolt the EZ-Start to the engine. Hook up your power. Test it, if the motor spins but the engine doesn't, you've likely got the motor spinning backward, so switch the power leads.

Mine needed to have it's OWB cleaned, so a a bonus, you get pics of the backplate and the EZ-Start removed. Lucky you ;-)

Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjaRIxWcHPs[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yt60663.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1386466   Click image for larger version

Name:	mr40990.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1386467   Click image for larger version

Name:	lf95040.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1386468   Click image for larger version

Name:	gr91412.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1386469   Click image for larger version

Name:	du19959.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1386470   Click image for larger version

Name:	pr26023.jpg
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1386471   Click image for larger version

Name:	dc98681.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1386472   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu31889.jpg
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1386473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	jv96026.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1386474  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Mr_Byte

...delete this reply, pls.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
buggyboy2010

Holy crap Byte, That amazing lol, I`m kinda in wow right now.. just so cool hahaha, But I do not have the patients to do all that modding, and I`m am no good at electrical, So Redcat or Himoto whoever take the hint and make a darn remote start kit!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Mr_Byte

Thanks! :-D

It's easier than it looks, really. The part that made me sweat was drilling into my backplate, because if I messed it up, I had a spare, but who wants to ruin a good part?

I now have a problem though. I need to add a servo to the 3rc channel to run the forward/reverse on the tranny, but when I add it in via a "Y" harness, everything starts twitching. It doesn't matter if it's my "good" JR servo, or another of my "Cheap" 996R's as used in the steering. Not sure if it's my ESC or what.

I'd really hate to have to buy an R-Box at this point, or lose the ESC and use a micro-switch.
I might have to get a ROSS module and see how it works.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Mickstix

That's an awesome frankenmonster ya got there!! Ya kinda lost me on the electrical part of the instructions, but I can see the fabricated backplate and mods to get the hardware hooked up! Once ya get it all bolted up and runnin, put up another vid so we can see her in action!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.