Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New to nitro rc, help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
shockwave42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to nitro rc, help please

I got a shockwave for my son, we can't seem to get it to idle correctly. It keeps spinning the tires. On the ground it takes off at idle. We have about a 1mm opening on carb. Any less opening and it dies when the brake is applied. So far we have done the break in with this problem. I think its running rich enough not to destroy the engine. Is this a clutch spring problem or do I not have the carb set correctly. The high needly is about 2 turns out, the low speed needle is flush with the collar. This is absolutly a fun hobby, I would like to get myself one but I would like to get his going good before I start working on 2 of them. He is 8 so I have to supervise quiet a bit but he loves it, so any help would be great. Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New to nitro rc, help please

Yup...sounds like a clutch spring..There are alot of forum posts on just this subject.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM
a4d2a0m

It takes some fiddling but..... if you can stop the tires from moving by holding it on the ground without the engine stalling then it is not the clutch...

Look at the opening with the truck turned on and apply the brake on the transmitter, see if the carb closes. If it does it need to be re-adjusted, the easiest way without having to adjust the throttle/brake connections is to adjust the trim on the remote until it moves the arm on the carb to its farthest forward position.(move the arm with your finger to make sure it has closed all the way). To check if the trim is right, Pull the gas then release to see what position it returns to, *note if the arm is all the way forward on the carb* and adjust if necessary. then set brake adjustment screw to the point so when you pull the gas and release there is no drag on the disc.

That is where u can adjust your needles from, the videos on redcat are a great guide once you set up the trim/throttle linkage properly.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
shockwave42

Hey, thanks for the info. I installed a hotter plug today and that seem to make a big difference once it got warmed up. After we got it going good we broke a rear axle dogbone. Local hobby store (hobbytown) was no help, so i just ordered some from redcat. Is there others that may fit a shockwave?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
a4d2a0m

Prob not.... they are pretty particular, but u can run 2 wheel-drive till the parts come in..