Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Monsoon Clutch Bell

I am just wondering if it would be possible to use a 'regular' clutch bell in the Monsoon truggy instead of the 'extended' clutch bell. Thanks for any input.

RE: Monsoon Clutch Bell

It is you need to get the slider style motor mounts and spacers. Like the Ofna buggies use. If you do a search in this forum it's been talked about more than once in the last 4 years.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scan through the Monsoon Support thread, or do a search for "Elongated clutch bell" and you should find some info! The newer Monsoon's have the standard CB, so possibly their motor mounts would work? (But not sure if the chassis mounting locations are the same as the older ones though) 
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks alot for the information. I'm glad to hear that the newer versions of the Monsoon use the standard clutchbell because I am planning on buying a Monsoon either later this year or early next year. Again, thanks alot.

That elongated clutch bell design has been a problem from the start when they had them on the original earthquake truck. I've never seen anything else that has that weired clutch bell design.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm having another moment of wondering. Is the clutch bell that is available with the new versions of the Monsoon a 14 tooth or a 15 tooth?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Monsoon XTR has a 14t clutch bell and a 60t spur.
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And that's a standard 14 tooth clutch bell, right Mick?

It would have to be, because the old style clutch bell only had 10 or 11 teeth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yessir, standard 14t clutchbell..
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright then, that settles it. I'm going to purchase a Monsoon XTR within the next 12 months hopefully. Thanks again for all of the input.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@allaboutfunhobbies, the elongated cluthbell is a VTX design which all clone companies also use.

Actually it's not a VTX design. It's a HSP design. HSP(High Speed Toys) Is the manufacturer of Team VTX, some of the Redcat cars, Some of the Himoto cars, Pretty much all of Exceeds cars and various other names. These companies pretty much select the options they want on the cars and HSP manufactures them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I notice the new Losi 1/10 Ten-T (with the ROSS system) also comes with an elongated clutchbell..I have no idea why, but its got one, according to the pix I saw in the Feb 2010RCCarAction magazine..

On a side note, are the spur gears that come in the center diff (Redcat Monsoon) a standard spur gear, or do they also take a specific type or bolt pattern? I've heard the Monsoon XTRis very similar designedto the Kyosho ST-Rso I wonder if there spur gears are compatible with the Redcar center diff? Thanks for any info!
    Mick Nesevitch

I saw that also. Wasn't real thrilled about it. There was something I saw the other day when I was making an order that look realy close to the redcat spur gear, but I can't remember what it was or where I saw it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe that this will be my final question regarding the new version of the Monsoon XTR. Is the final gear ratio still rated as 13.02 or is it different Mick? Thanks again for all of the information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wolf, I really wish I knew? Im not sure how to calculate the final drive ratio when ya have a center diff involved? Maybe someone else will know? But the Spur is 60t and the clutchbell/pinion is 14t.. Anyone know? I was wondering the same thing.. Oh, and Wolf, keep the questions coming if ya need anything else!Im pretty proud of this Monsoon!! I've not got another 1/8 scale model to compare it to, but as far as design and parts quality, this thing is pretty bad ass!! I thought they must weigh alot or something, to make them unattractive for racing, but all together with body and all, mine weighs exactly 10lbs.. I dont think thats too bad for a nitro? But I've got Traxxas and Scheumacher 1/10 touring cars and "design", funtion,fit/finishwise, they dont have a thing on the Monsoon..
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the final drive ratio should be in the manual Mick.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya know what, your right.. Right there in front of me. Gear ratio = 1:13.02 
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alrighty then. Thanks Mick.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models