Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

One way bearing or just the pull start itself???

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

One way bearing or just the pull start itself???

Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
SCs5thGen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One way bearing or just the pull start itself???

My pull start broke a couple weeks ago and I recoiled it and it works. The coil spring had actuallybroke so it is a little shorter now (or should I say, less coil now) My question is since I have fixed it, when trying to pull start it,about half the time itwill only turn the piston one time. Just one pop from the exhaust :/ It will do this about 3 or 4pulls then it will act right for a couple pulls then back to 1 pop then normal and back and forth, etc....It will do this until it finally starts.

At first when I recoiled the spring, I had it coiled too tight and it would turn the engine over but the coil would bind up and I had only about half travel with the pull string. When I recoiled it again, to let out the spring a bit, that is when this started butI now have full pull string travel. I am leaning towards the pull start.

I am supposed to be getting a new pull start sent to me and I will post if that fixes the problem. Ijust wanted to get y'alls opinion/experience as to what this might be...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Technito20

Default RE: One way bearing or just the pull start itself???

Yeah more than likely it's the one way bearing. Try pulling the string slowly and and see if the engine turns over multiple times and that it's gripping the shaft during each turn. Versus pulling it fast and it only turning over the engine once, like you said. If this is the case, then definitely it's the one way bearing slipping. As this is generally the problem, especially if there's fuel/oil soaked in the one way bearing.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
SCs5thGen

The oil makes since...
I am new to this stuff... When I recoiled it the 1st time and it was binding, I had lost 1 of the 3 screws to the pull start so I thought that was causing it to bind. I removed the pull start and applied a small amount of bearing grease to the plastic that rubs the engine, the part coil is wrapped in. I guess it has gotten to the one way bearing now and causing it to slip.
Maybe it just needs to be cleaned?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Technito20

Even though it's a bearing, with one-way bearings you want less grease/oil as possible. So yes, I'd definitely try cleaning it. Use some alcohol and paper towel and clean it inside out. This has worked for me several times by simply cleaning it. But if this doesn't work, the bearing is probably going bad and needs to be replaced.

I've also noticed one-way bearings don't like cold weather either. So clean it up and try starting it in a warm environment. And definitely be sure all the screws are securing the pull start to the back of the engine and that the bearing is properly fitted into the bearing slot. And see if that works for you.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

You need to get all the grease off the pullstart and swish the OWB around in acetone. That will remove all the grease and oil. That's still no guarantee that the OWB will still work. but it will help.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Mickstix

Also using a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up the pull starter (as well as the block and head) seems to make the oneway grab better.. Least it does on my Monsoon.. Once the engines warmed up the pull starter works great, but when cold ya only get the single revolution, unless (like was posted) ya pull it very slowly..