Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pinion shaft endplay

I have anearthquake 3.5 and I have destroyed my original ring gear and pinion. I ordered a new gear set from redcat and the rear diff started slipping after only 10 mins of use. I tore the rear diff apart

and the pinion is worn but the ring gear looks ok. Ithen noticed that the pinion shaft has a lot of endplay. I installed the new pinion gear on the pinion shaft until it bottomed on the pin that goes

through the pinion shaft. Do i need to not drive the pinion gear so far onto the pinion shaft to get rid of some of the end play or are the redcat replacement parts that poor of quality?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: pinion shaft endplay

Try searching RCU forums for how to shim your diff's. I was blowing them on my savage and since I shimmed them properly I've never had a problem. I hope this helps, good luck. Piece of advise...be patient when doin this. It pays off in the long run.

Redcat\'\'s a-plenty,savage XS,2 Savages,1brushless XL
    Sprint2, Blitz, Terra Crusher,ast. planes, helicopters and a LOT more!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My buddy has the same truck and has blow 3-4 diff sets including the ring gear.  The original gear set was made from a much better material and the replacements have been a cheap aluminum with bad castings.  One ring gear he ordered came in warped.  He has tried to shim them but hasn't had a whole lot of luck...  I will see if I can get him to join up on the discussion of this thread. 

I have had/having the same problem. Redcat told me to try shimming. I am not a pro at shimming but everything seemed fine when put back together. I am still blowing through ring and pinion gears. They told me no one else is having this problem so they didnt know what else to tell me. I shimmed all three shafts with no luck. I cant say how i messed up the stock rear diff gears but the new ones they send are crap. The front diff gears are fine. I even tried thicker shock oil and stiffer springs to make up for weight transfer in the back. My resolution was to move the stock front diff unit to the rear and use the aluminum ones they send now in the front. The rear diff works fine and now the front is going lol. I think at some point they will come out with a stronger material for the gears. I saw they just recently added a steel spur gear in the hop-up section. Needless to say, i still am looking for a resolution and have not found one. A guy at a hobby shop told me that it looks like they are using a lot of small block rated parts on a big block motor. Fly wheel clutch bell, clutch shoes etc. I complained to redcat and they sent me two new diff units but i went through them too. It is not the stock material. So anyone that may have a solution please post back. Sorry for the long thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ya i have trashed 2 sets of gears so far  and have ordered my third set.  I will say that the original set was made from much harder material I think the replacements are weak.  I am pretty sure when you install the drive gear onto the shaft you want it tight with the driven gear when put together so you can't move it in or out, but far enough onto the shaft so the pin will contact the slot on the drive gear so it wont spin on the shaft.  If that is ok the diffs should last longer than 15 mins. especially on loose gravel.  I'm no expert but I can't find one to answer this problem either. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bump this up for an answer!  I need my boy fixed up so we can do some racing!