Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pull start and cleaning questions

hey all have a redcat racing volcanos30 , anyone ever run into the pull start being very easy to pull then get hard to pull ??? 2nd question got my first chance to do some bashin today in the courie got quite dirty flipped many times had no breakage . but would like to know how to clean a day of bashin of my rig ??? thanks for any info guys . 5 days and going strong (newbe)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: pull start and cleaning questions

Does the motor turn over when the pull start gets hard to pull? If so, the engines probably just flooded.. Pull the glow plug and turn the car upside down to let the excess fuel run out, then pull the starter a few times to clear it out, reinstall plug and try again..

As for cleaning nitro cars, you can get "nitro cleaner", but it's not cheap, and probably just some fancy "simple green" or similar.. I use water sparingly on mine, being careful not to soak the carb or aircleaner, and trying my best to dry off the car afterwards. Compresed air is the best thing to use.. I use my compressor and blow off all the loose dirt or excess water.. Once done a few well placed squirts of WD-40can help disipate remaining moisture.. Also try not to soak any ball-bearings or electronics as well, cause stuff will rust and short circuit if it's gets wet.. Just use common sence and dont go overboard with the garden hose, and you should be ok!
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use WD-40 and compressed air for those hard to reach places. Also if it is not flooded, then it could be a build up of oil and grime on and in the one-way bearing. What I hade to do was take my pull start off and I used WD-40 and compressed air to clean the bearing...seem to work just fine. I agree with Mickstix you have to use judgement...when it comes to the brakes, you shouldn't spray WD-40 over the pad and disk, and if you are using water, be careful around the electronics...stuff like that... although i jsut use WD-40, q-tips, rags, and compressed air to clean my buggy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks guys , and no its not flooded it turns over , but when pulling cord just pulls right out with no drag what so ever ? used automotive electronics cleaner ,seems to work pretty good ! thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, yea that;s the one way bearing slipping on the starter shaft.. You can remove and clean it and it may work for a while, but in my experience, the best thing is to preheat the motor with a heatgun or hairdryer, and point it at the pull starter for about 10 seconds while your at it.. The heat seems to do something to the one way bb that makes it grab?? (Ever notice how it works fine after you've had the motor running a while?) same principle.. But preheating the engine has many benefits! Makes it start alot easier/faster, and helps the longevity of the engines health! It's a win win!! Good luck!
    Mick Nesevitch