Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Rc Truck and support is Junk!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM
bcacross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc Truck and support is Junk!!

I bought my 10 year old son a volcanoe EXP pro for christmas. I have been building and running RC cars and trucks for 20 years. I bought this truck because for the money, it looked like a good solid beginner vehicle. None of those words should be used to describe this truck. I loc-tite'd every screw on the bottom of the chassis and the motor mounts. I'm no novice. The mesh was good everything was great. I had 3 batteries that fit this truck, so my ten year old was thrilled. My son was going nuts cause we had to wait til late february, early march to run it due to it is an electric and I wont run it with alot of snow or water on the ground. He got halfway through the second battery when it made a horrible sound. The pinion gear on the motor snapped clean off and took the spur with it. This was a break in run. He was so easy with it and hit nothing on my acre of grass. When I opened it, I was blown away. I notified redcat, and sent them the motor, and they said it was defective and sent me a new motor and spur gear. They sent the wrong spur gear, so I sent them an e-mail with my original gear and the one they sent so the could see the difference....no response. It's been a week and a half...no response. I should have spent the extra money and got the traxxas car. Redcat in my opinion is crap and their support is crap as well. They sent a spur gear with a motor for the same vehicle that doesnt mesh and then blew me off completely. Very disappointed that my 11yr old sons big christmas present for this year was an absolute piece of junk. Few hundred dollars for 1 hour of fun and a couple months of frustration. Junk!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rc Truck and support is Junk!!

Wow man, sorry to hear about your bad expierence with redcat support. Who were you dealing with? I just had the exact same tihing happen to me. I was handled by Billy and he took care of me with white glove treatment! Very fast to respond to me. Isent in my motor, pinion with the snaped shaft still in it and spru. The day after they got the parts they sent out new replacements and sent me a email with UPS shipping confermation. I hope you give redcat another chance. You might want to give Kurt at URCHobby a shout out as he is a very knolageable guy when it comes to these trucks.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 AM
bcacross

I wasn't upset with the handling of the initial claim. The claim was handled within a week, but it was the quality in which it was handled was what upset me. Youre sending out motor, pinion, and spur for the same truck. Wouldnt you make sure that the two gears that are going to be meshing together, mesh? I mean the mesh of the motor pinion and the spur gear werent even remotely close. I sent them a nice e-mail. Not angry or anything, because I was happy they were standing by the defect, and just stating the mistake. I even sent a picture of my spur gear and the one they sent so they could see the difference, and no response. So basicly, the truck is still sitting on the table in the basement, completely useless.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM
billymare

They do have 2 different pitches....48 and 64. mine originaly came with the 48 and they sent me the 64 gears. Just keep an eye on the landing on throttle. My son gets away from me and I can sometimes hear him in the air at ful throttle LOL. You have a 10 year old and this is expected...My son is 19!!!! he should know better...LOL Any way...welcome to the forum..
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 AM
bcacross

I went back and checked my e-mails and it was Chris that helped me, or failed to help me.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 AM
bcacross

I hear what your saying, but I have a completely flat back yard, and we were using it for the first time, just as a breakin run. Not to mention that this was his first experience with an RC car that wasnt bought at like wallmart so he was real nervous about getting on it. I live in the sticks and I dont have any good hobby places anywhere close(like within an hours drive), or I would have just gone an bought the spur gear. Thing that irks me is I shouldnt have to. The motor was defective and took the spur with it. All I wanted was a response to the wrong gear sent. I would have gladly sent back the wrong spur gear. It's useless to me.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 AM
billymare

Useles, like boobs on a bull...LOL Chris has helped me before and he was vary fast to respond...Maby there is a time zone difference?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: bcacross

I bought my 10 year old son a volcanoe EXP pro for christmas. I have been building and running RC cars and trucks for 20 years. I bought this truck because for the money, it looked like a good solid beginner vehicle. None of those words should be used to describe this truck. I loc-tite'd every screw on the bottom of the chassis and the motor mounts. I'm no novice. The mesh was good everything was great. I had 3 batteries that fit this truck, so my ten year old was thrilled. My son was going nuts cause we had to wait til late february, early march to run it due to it is an electric and I wont run it with alot of snow or water on the ground. He got halfway through the second battery when it made a horrible sound. The pinion gear on the motor snapped clean off and took the spur with it. This was a break in run. He was so easy with it and hit nothing on my acre of grass. When I opened it, I was blown away. I notified redcat, and sent them the motor, and they said it was defective and sent me a new motor and spur gear. They sent the wrong spur gear, so I sent them an e-mail with my original gear and the one they sent so the could see the difference....no response. It's been a week and a half...no response. I should have spent the extra money and got the traxxas car. Redcat in my opinion is crap and their support is crap as well. They sent a spur gear with a motor for the same vehicle that doesnt mesh and then blew me off completely. Very disappointed that my 11yr old sons big christmas present for this year was an absolute piece of junk. Few hundred dollars for 1 hour of fun and a couple months of frustration. Junk!!!
If all You need is part # 11164 ?

64 tooth gear ?

Drop us a PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM
RedCat_Chris

bcacross- please email me at [email protected] with your name and information so I can look into this matter, I remember replacing a motor within the last few weeks with a broken shaft but don't recall receiving and email about the gear being wrong please contact me so I can get this all resolved.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
formula87

Sounds like they didn't get the email.  I would try again.  Billy has helped me in the past as well as Chris....
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Timsjs550

Hi Everyone.  I just bought a Tornado s30 Im quite pleased with it.  I am new to nitro but catching on pretty quick I have been a mechanic for 10 years.  I am confusede about the high and Low speed needles.  The Manual that came with the kit says that the low speed is near the top by the airfilter and the High speed is on the side near the throttle linkage.  Every other car I have seen is opposite I can get it to run fine But I would love to know what I am turning. lol.  Also is there any way to make the Tornado s30 a 1 speed.  My 2 speed clutch failed on the first day and a dog bone flew out of the front so I took all the dogbones out for the front drive to make it 2wd for now.  I like the two speed and will run it 2 speed when I get my new clutch.  I have been running it one speed carefully only giving it 100% throttle in verry short bursts.  Thanks for reading
Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Redcat-Derek

Sorry for the confusion, but you are correct the high speed needle is the one is the brass collar up on top, and the low speed needle is the one on the opposite side of the carb on the side. What you can do to convert it to a single speed is buy the shockwave transmission (05126) and clutchbell (02107). And i would recommend running the car with 4wd only, running 2wd will put extra stress on the rear differential because the front isn't pulling anymore, which may cause some damage.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
justin.b

I'm quite new to rc vehicles, never had one or anything. Well i bought a new redcat tornado s30 and it started up once and then cut off. What are the factory settings for the needles, because from what I've read in some posts is that the settings are sometimes off and I would like to reset them. Help if you can Thank You. You could also text me the information because I'm around my laptop only about 15 minutes a day... 918 916 9796