Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Something wrong with Acherman arm.

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Something wrong with Acherman arm.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
dakotanut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something wrong with Acherman arm.

I have installed a new servo saver. It is aluminum. My Ackerman arm (plastic) is way too tight. When I turn on the radio and the receiver, and try to turn the steering with the radio; it barely turns the front wheels. I don't know if I'm missing some washers there or not. I tighten the screws down until they are tight. Can hardly move the wheels. I think this is why I was burning up servos. This new servo is trying to turn the front wheels as best it can. It got so bad the the screws actually came loose and where hitting inside the holes in the chassis. This is a Volcano S30 I believe. I took the Ackerman arm off and turned it over and tried it. Now the screws don't come loose but, it is still hard to turn. Does anybody have a close up diagram of this area? I'm missing something and just can't put my finger on it. I would really like to run this truck. It was a blast when it was working. Now nothing but problems. I'm getting very discouraged with this Volcano. If it has run for 1 hour I would be surprised. This thing isn't even a year old yet. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 AM
dakotanut

Default RE: Something wrong with Acherman arm.

Any body have any ideas? I really would like to get his thing running soon if I can. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
nitrofumz

ORIGINAL: dakotanut

Any body have any ideas? I really would like to get his thing running soon if I can. Thanks.
Is the servo a stock one? I would disconnect the servo and check for binding and go from there.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
dakotanut

I have. It isn't in the servo. It is definitely in the Acherman arm. Why? I have no idea.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Bill, Make sure you have the shoulder part of the spacer for the acker plate between the servo saver and the acker plate. Make sure the shoulder (or fat part of the spacer) is facing the servo saver and not the screw head. Let me know if this helps.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
dakotanut

Ok. Maybe I've got the wrong thing. The piece I'm talking about goes between the pieces that the servo attaches to. Ok. I get it. It is facing the correct way now. I do not know what is going on. I could take pics if yall need them? It is apart. Won't be until this evening though. When I tighten the screw down that hold the Ackerman arm on to the servo savers they are a real pain to turn. So the metal piece on the Ackerman arm goes between it and the servo saver? I'm going to check it but I'm sure that it is that way.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
dakotanut

Ok. That is how it is set up. Still seems like it is too tight and hard to turn. I don't know what is wrong. I'm just tired of messing with it. I've worked more on this than I've been able to run it. Do not have these problems with my Odonnell Z01 T, Losi 8ight, or Ofna Hyper 7. May just have to tune the engine and go. Don't even have to do that much. I'm having to work on this Redcat Racing Volcano way to much. Probably only has 1 hour of run time but 20 hours of work time. Something needs to be done. I guess it will just be a model car on the shelf now.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maby the caps on the pivot balls are to tight?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM
dakotanut

I'm not sure. I took it apart again. The front 2 tires move easily when I turn then. The arms that turn them are loose on the hubs also. So no problem there. It has to be in the Servo Saver steering parts and Ackerman arm that holds those 2 together. I think I'm going to try something when I can. I'm going to get some blue thread lock and put it on the screws that hold the Ackerman arm to the servo savers. Then just barely tighten the screws in to the servo saver that hold the Ackerman arm on. In far enough to hold it all together but loose enough that it will move freely. What do yall think?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:09 PM
dakotanut

Ok. Took the Ackerman arm off. Removed the screws first. Put some blue locktite on the screws and screwed them back in with the Ackerman arm on. Let it dry. I tightened the screws but not real tight. Ran it until the battery for the electronics went dead. I've got to hand it to Redcat, when the batteries go dead; it slams on the brake. Wouldn't start either.