Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Vid on my Earthquake 8e gear problems???

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Vid on my Earthquake 8e gear problems???

Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
formula87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vid on my Earthquake 8e gear problems???

Everyone fell free to post as I am the only one with these problems, I may be an idiot but just need some suggestions so I can play with this thing and in won't keep eating the ring gears?!!!
Thanks for any replies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukkfjJXFUhQ

Old 05-23-2010, 04:45 PM
jowilson275
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Vid on my Earthquake 8e gear problems???

if you feel it is too tight, remove one shim. you should be able to put a small rectangular piece of paper through the gear mesh without it being torn in two. as for the diff, just shim the inside of the bearing. looks like 2-3 would do it.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya need to shim on each side behind the bearings. You can fins some thin washers at Ace hardware that will work. Ya need to shim even on both sides. Ya need to have a tiny bit of play not much. I would take one shim out of the pinion and ad one shim to each side of the diff
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
RedCat_Chris

Formula- all about fun is correct you need to shim the diff as well as the pinion we have been using two shims behind the pinion (part #24012) and three shims on the non-gear side and two on the gear side of the diff (part# 85810), The shimming on the diff will depend on your gearbox housing as with any molded part each could vary a bit and most of the new ones seem as if they don't need shimmed but then after a run or two the play develops. We tend to shim the diff so that it is smooth and then will most likely have one tight spot and have had the best results with this.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
sdnitro

I have an earthquake 3.5 and have the same problem.  I was ordering diffs from a website and I found out that the site had the wrong part # listed for my model.  The original diffs were a bronze color and the replacements were aluminum colored.  Your diffs look exacticaly like mine. The part number for the diffs should be bs803-027.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: sdnitro

I have an earthquake 3.5 and have the same problem. I was ordering diffs from a website and I found out that the site had the wrong part # listed for my model. The original diffs were a bronze color and the replacements were aluminum colored. Your diffs look exacticaly like mine. The part number for the diffs should be bs803-027.
I will be shimming and may post a vid on that. All the diffs I ordered from Kurt@Urchobby are the same brown metal gear that came stock, never got an aluminum gear. will shim and see how it goes.