Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fuel usage problem.

I got the Volcano to stay running when I go full throttle. I set the HSN and LSN screws back to stock. Started it up and off I went until the battery for the electronics went dead. LOL. The problem I noticed is that the Nitro gets used up pretty quickly. Any idea why? If the HSN is set to stock then it shouldn't? I didn't see any smoke so I richened it up some. Thanks.

Think that the idle is too high?

RE: Fuel usage problem.

If you have it set at stock it's running super rich. If you don't see any blue smoke or fuel coming out with it that rich then you have a problem in your exhaust system, fuel tank or fuel lines causing the engine to run lean.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What in those systems would cause this? Too rich is bad and too lean is bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro fuel is a combination of part radiator, part gas, and part oil. The engine needs the fuel to run and the fuel also lubericates the moving parts and keeps the parts cool. Too lean means that you are depriving the engine the necessary lubricants for the moving parts and allowing the engine to run hotter than what is considered normal for the engine...too rich the performance of the engine suffers which causes very hard starts, bogging and the engine dying a lot. I would check all fastners to ensure that they are tight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK. I can do that. I'm kinda sure that they are. If you are talking about the bolts and screws on the motor and related stuff. Lets say that when I do start it up and it is sitting there idling. I place my hand on the exhaust outlet and it just covers my hand in Nitro. I adjusted the HSN (brass needle on top of carb) it will stop. It doesn't appear to go through fuel fast that away. Should I adjust the LSN (screw on side of carb) instead? I still get the nice smoke when I accelerate. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tightened down everything on the motor. I found that the exhaust manifold that attaches to the motor was loose. Only problem, my spin starter battery went dead so I can't start it. It's charging now. I set the needles back to stock and when I can start it up and check it I will. The head was tight, the carb is tight, no holes or anything in the fuel lines. They are tight also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dakotanut
    The problem I noticed is that the Nitro gets used up pretty quickly. Any idea why?
    Howquickly does it use up a tank of nitro?At optimal tune, they'll still only get around 10-12 minutes of run time, if your "on the gas" alot.. But if your burning it faster than that you probably do have a tune or leak issue.
    Mick Nesevitch