Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Caldera 10E anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else has tried/bought the Caldera 10E? I am a tiny dealer and could not resist opening one up for a run. So far I am extremely happy with it. It is not as fast as my Vortex EXP pro, but I like the motor and EZrun ESC that comes with the Caldera as we should be able to program it (unlike the ESC with the Vortex). The big bore shocks are great as is the centrally mounted motor system. I wrote a small review of it in my blog with some cool pics to go with it. Check it out: hipowerrc.blogspot.com
    ACE lipos EP Nimh battery packs 1/16 - 1/18th scale hipowerrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Caldera 10E anyone?

I bought one from URCHobby and LOVE IT!! you are right about it not being as fast as the vortex epx pro. The vortex spends so much time on its roof with lipo... so much fun!
    Oh yeah... The LED program card works like a charm. It makes it so much easier to program the speed control. I had to adjust the punch and the brake force. The truck would flip onto it's roof when braking. I must say the delivery times from URC were OUTSTANDING!!!!
    Redcat\'\'s a-plenty,savage XS,2 Savages,1brushless XL
    Sprint2, Blitz, Terra Crusher,ast. planes, helicopters and a LOT more!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just installed the ACE 4000mah LiPo we sell and it basically transformed the Caldera 10E! Much faster and it doesn't overheat. Also saves some weight compared to the Redcat Racing 3800 Nimh.
    Unfortunately while doing a few videos I crashed into a wooden landscape barrier and now my steering servo is making horrible noises. I guess I deserved it as the truck was going real fast and I wasn't paying attention.
    Here is link to my blog article that has pics of Lipo install (I also repositioned the receiver on the top plate so it doesn't get as dirty) as well as two YouTube action videos.
    [link]http://hipowerrc.blogspot.com/2010/06/redcat-racing-caldera-10e-with-ace.html[/link]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is'int it a little over priced?
    Keep it full throttle don\'\'t dottle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not if you buy from URCHobby.com They have the 10E in stock for $180.99 with FREE shipping! That's where Ibought mine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Overpriced? Have you done price/feature comparisons with other RTR RC trucks? My Caldera 10E has proven to be durable and fun! Aside from a noisy steering servo....because I crashed into a wood landscape tie at full speed.....this truck rocks!
    We have it for $189.88 and free shipping at hipowerrc and thought our price was cheap!
    The truck features Hobbywing Brushless EZ Run ESC and motor, 4 big bore oilfilled shocks, full ball bearings and innovative chassis and motor configuration for awesome handling. Oh ya.....it also comes with the Redcat 2.4 Ghz radio system! With a simple program card from hobbypartz.com ( less than $10), the ESC becomes real easy to program allowing different acceleration/punch curves, braking rate, and even timing advance on the motor.
    I would call this truck near perfect as a "basher" fun machine able to tackle anything that comes in its way. I would say this is the best 1/10th truck that Redcat currently sells. I hope Redcat goes more in the direction of this machine regarding their future offerings as this is a much more updated chassis than the Tornado, Volcano, Vortex, Lightning universal chassis they have been relying on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have just received my Caldera 10E and drove it about 10 mins, it rolled once and landed on it's wheels.  I started to get it going again and find that my steering has gone out.  ONE simple roller makes a part fail?  Has anyone had a problem with this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a problem with your servo; contact recatracing.com look for their phone # on their website and explain your situation and more than likely they will send you a free new servo.
    To be honest you should try looking into getting a good aftermarket high torque servo ; I myself have had nothing but issues with the some of the servos that they have on their cars.
    Try the "RC Car Radio Equipment" section on the forum to see if anyone knows of a good reasonably priced aftermarket high torque servo or try one of these.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1053
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. Al Pacino (Scarface 1983)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey basketballfan...I had the same thing happen to me. i sent the servo into redcat...They should get it today..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We just recently ordered two Caldera 10Es. One red one and one blue one. Within I would say 30 seconds of drive time on the blue one the servo went out. The red one however is still going strong without any issues whatsoever.

After doing some investigating the servo wires on the red Caldera 10E where different colors than the ones on the blue one. Which leads me to believe that they had a bad run of servo's and updated them to a new version? (Both had the same model number on the front)

Besides that issue they have both been running great (replaced the one servo with a spare Ihad). Redcat is going to send a new servo out to replace the defective one.

Also on a side note .... Lipo's really bring the Caldera's to life.
    Redcat News/Deals/Information
    www.trcspeed.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just bought a RedCat Racing Caldera 10e...  Looking to put some quality LiPo's in without causing any damage to any of the components inside...  Don't want to fry anything!!!!  Any suggestions as to what LiPo and what kind of charger I should be looking at????
    Redcat Racing Caldera 10E, Traxxas Stampede VXL, Ofna Hyper 10sc modified

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Was thinking of getting this truck over the traxxas stampede xl5 for my 7 year old sun for Christmas. Seems like you can't go wrong with I lt being brushless and 2.4ghz and at the same price. Anymore reviews on it I already seen all the vids on yt which wasn't many.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dave, I have 2 Cadlera's. 1 10E and a 3.0. i love them both. Iuse a 5000 mah 30C lipo and this truck rips... It is tough as nails. My sons boss at gamestreetparty.com bought 4 from urchobby to have rc partys and they were a HUGE hit!!! The servo is the first thing to go tho...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok thanks I appreciate the response. Which servo goes out the steering servo ? Also does the throttle servo go out aswell?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a caldera and went through 3 engines in 6 months Then I bought a Avalanche XP from UR Faster for 280.00 It is the best truck ever built ran 12 gallons of fuel through it and it runs like the day I bought it .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't like nitro though lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats cool

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i mean i did had nitro for years not after a 2 year vacatio in the rc worl i decided to go into electric and so far loving the lipo/brushless setups..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oposite 25 years agoI built my first Stadium truck from a kit i bought for 600.00 put anothet600.00 in batteries and a 19 turn motor in it, with no problems for years nice unit Jr T it was called. took a break till now and the electric cars of today are so demanding and dependent on parts, soI went with the big block nitro andit takes my bashing.I like the smell of ascreemin deamon. Electrics have to much torque fortheir size for my pocket book. Be safe and keepthe squirrels treed whenever possible.