Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Can't keep Tornado running or idle

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Can't keep Tornado running or idle

Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
stuber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't keep Tornado running or idle

New to this forum group, so be gentle. I have a Tornado that I just can't get it to idle without the wheels spinning. Also, when it is running there are times that as I am making a hard right turn it stalls out. I cannot imagine the issues are related, so let's please deal with the idle issue first. It seems to be the most serious. Even though I do know a little about these engines please talk to me as if I don't!

I am curious also about over-heating. Most of the time I drive my car it is in a field with short grass, will that contribute to the overheating issue?

Thanks for your help, point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
Ed
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
catbob007

Default RE: Can't keep Tornado running or idle

yes the short grass can contribute to overheatinghave youtried putting a small plate over your spur gear chassi hole which prevents fine pieces of grass from entering the gears i did on my tornado when i ran in a dirt field it seemed like my spur gears lasted longer. The tornado is so low to the ground and grass constantly is hard to push through. And as to the not idleing see my thread as to the clutch spring life Lightening your clutch. It is also possible your clutch spring has been over extended or is weakend from the overheating I like to use an Infared temp gun I paid $110.00 for mine about 8 years ago and since then they have dropped to about $60.00Keeping the temp around 160 deg when i am able to shoot it seems to work good for me I love the220 deg power but do not like theshort engine life. For me the redcat fuel is hard to master I prefer Odnnels 20% mix as little more messy but my engines love it. good luck. Check out my threads on clutces www.catbob07.rcuniverse.com
Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
rokit_armor

Try setting your HSN a bit richer, I was running into the same thing (high temps, high idle, etc) untill I set that a bit richer.  As you set the HSN richer your idle should go down naturally, if it seems like its going to stall out, open your idle a bit.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 AM
stuber

Forgive me, but to make it richer I turn the screw which way?

Thanks
Ed
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Counter clockwise...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Redcat-Derek

If the vehicle won't run while staying in one spot you probably have a broken clutch spring. Try pulling the pull start with the wheels off the ground, if the wheels spin then most likely your clutch spring is broken. If that doesn't help try setting your high and low speed needles to 2 1/2 turns out from fully seated (snug but not tight) and tune from there.