Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Earthquake 8e ESC Smokes on turn-on

Hey guys and gals, new here, hello!

Love our new Redcats, but having a few issues after only a couple of hours time in service...

When we turn on our Earthquake 8e, the ESC immediately begins pouring out smoke and the motor tries to turn without any input from the transmitter.

We are using the Tenergy 20c 5000mah 7.4 batteries in place of the stock 3500's that came with the truck, but from what I've read that shouldn't have anything to do with it?

I assume we will have to replace the ESC, but my other question is could this be a problem with the motor as well?

Thanks in advance for any help here...

Gman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Earthquake 8e ESC Smokes on turn-on

Do the wheels turn? Maby drivetrain is jammed up?
    Redcat\'\'s a-plenty,savage XS,2 Savages,1brushless XL
    Sprint2, Blitz, Terra Crusher,ast. planes, helicopters and a LOT more!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check the voltage on the batteries and also check wiring for correct polarity.
    Always Best prices and Cheap S/H at RCToysNH, NHwoods, ToystoreNH, VP Ent. Inc.
    RedCat Traxxas DuraTrax AE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

crispy esc

Traxxas Slash VXL / sold ECO
    Traxxas Slash MMpro/17.5 Novak
    Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make sure you didnt run through an water cause it will fry your esc, IĀ*bought a cheap amce raptor which was very empressive with power. but IĀ*ran it through some water after a it rained and toasted teh ecu and two day later while running it, the thing caught on fire>>>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These are good ESCs. Ive had 3 and they all worked flawlessly with a stock pinion or a few teeth smaller. Ive used all 3 (aftershock,backdraft, and earthquake) with the stock batts, tenergy 2s 30c 5000, and protek 30c 5000 2s. Ive even ran on tenergy 3s 5000 30c. All work well with no probs. What gears were you running? Were your connectors/soldering good?

My earthquake 8e had same problem.  Smoke and foul smell in the middle of the night coming from the ESC.  I ran it through puddles 8 hours earlier.  I bought a new ESC from redcat, hooked it up.  no signal, light on ESC doesn't show.  Battery is fully charged and tested with multimeter.  Connection is good.  Am I missing something?   Bad "new" ESC possibly?  Got a new receiver thinking that might solve the problem... fail.  Neither receiver showing power.  The only thing i can think of is testing ESC to New earthquake 8e.  I hardly feel like forking out another $300!  Help anyone!?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VasyM - did you pair the new esc and receiver?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You may try unplugging the servo from the reciever as well if you haven't already. There might be some type of short.
    Redcat News/Deals/Information
    www.trcspeed.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

guys there are things to try, but if attempts fail(or if smoke came out of the ESC) then its time to fill out redcat's warrenty form: http://www.redcatracing.com/informat...anty-form.html
    try to include as much info, what happend, what you have tried to correct the issue ect.

you can try re-binding your Rx to your Tx (search redcat bind on utube for a vid that shows how to do this)

make sure your lipo's voltage is good before trying to calibrate the ESC. if the ESC detects the lipos low voltage, it will beep slowly and not accept any input.

to calibrate the ESC, you have to hold the button next to the on/off switch as you turn on the ESC(only for a second!)

then press the button 1 time, then again after you put the trigger throttle full, then 1 more time as you put trigger at full reverse

also, a bad servo can effect a ESC. its only takes a short time to disconnect your servo and then see if the ESC responds as it should. if it does, time for a new servo.

if you run these ESC's through water, be ready to buy a new one! i have already sold a replacement ESC ($85) to a guy who hit a puddle and his esc went up in flames.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hhvg

These are good ESCs. Ive had 3 and they all worked flawlessly with a stock pinion or a few teeth smaller. Ive used all 3 (aftershock,backdraft, and earthquake) with the stock batts, tenergy 2s 30c 5000, and protek 30c 5000 2s. Ive even ran on tenergy 3s 5000 30c. All work well with no probs. What gears were you running? Were your connectors/soldering good?
    Youve ran an earthquake stock esc on 3's with no problems? How did it perform?
    3 savages & a Earthquake 8E NO SHELF QUEENS HERE!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The connection between the servo and the steering linkage came apart. i dont think it is broken and i also found the screw that holds the two together. My question is does the screw simplet screy up through the linkage and into the plastic piece from the servo or am i missing something else?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ive heard bad things about running a Hobbywing Esc on 2 3s batteries, not a good idea, Now if you bought the 150A one, I would say go for it
    Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3-WAAAAAY to much done to list
    Redcat Earthquake 8E-Completly stock