Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Making an 8E rear wheel drive instead of all wheel

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Making an 8E rear wheel drive instead of all wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
98cruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making an 8E rear wheel drive instead of all wheel

I was thinking about removing the drive shaft to the front to see if its faster and or stops wheeling...has any one done this yet...what do you thing???????
Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Making an 8E rear wheel drive instead of all wheel

I think you'll have all the bad parts of 4x4 (i.e. nose heavy) without the benefits...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM
98cruiser

Well I think it would be faster, causeyour not straining the motor, your taking more work off the motor turning two big wheels instead of four big wheels...I dont know but it just make sense to me
Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 PM
catbob007

IN DIRT YOU'LL EXPERIENCE UNCONTROLABLE SPINNOUTS UPPON ACCELERATION  BUT ON PAVEMENT IT WILL FLY
Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 PM
sdnitro

you could try removing the front drive shaft but your rear diff will be recieving twice the power that it is used to and will not last long, but the fun factor is hard to beat
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: sdnitro

you could try removing the front drive shaft but your rear diff will be recieving twice the power that it is used to and will not last long, but the fun factor is hard to beat

Hod do you figure?Is the motor producing twice the power because its only rwd?No.The shaft is spinning the same speed, the wheels are spinning the same speed.How is that extra strain on the diff?

On my vendetta, i just took the front diff out. But it was broke and i dont have the money to get a ball diff, and it strips the gears every run, figured id leave it that way.Rear is a ball and has been fine.

dont know how the 8e is set up, but just remove the front diff.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
catbob007

If you did your diffs like in my diff thread You wouldent have to worry about diffs wearing out.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: 98cruiser

I was thinking about removing the drive shaft to the front to see if its faster and or stops wheeling...has any one done this yet...what do you thing???????

Have you tried it yet?????? I ask this becuase once you pull the front shft out it would notwant to move very well................the center diff needs both shafts to operate correctly and put to put the power down.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Redcat-Derek

Hello,

Having a center differential, you will need to either keep it 4WD or lock the center diff and run RWD which I wouldn't recommend. If you just take the front drive shaft out the center diff let the front side spin like crazy but giving almost no power to the rear.

Thanks,
Derek
RedcatRacing
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Mickstix

I dont know about increasing the speed, but if ya want it to stop pulling wheelies, try tuning the diffs with different weight diff fluid.. I wish I had a link for ya, but try a search on here for "differential tuning" and you should find some decent info on what weight fluids to use, to solve your probs! Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

I dont know about increasing the speed, but if ya want it to stop pulling wheelies, try tuning the diffs with different weight diff fluid.. I wish I had a link for ya, but try a search on here for "differential tuning" and you should find some decent info on what weight fluids to use, to solve your probs! Good luck!

Well or you could do what I did and do the 17mm swap and buggie wheels/tires and make it a Backdraft. No more wheelies and handles way better!!! But with the big wheels and tires it was cool because when you punched it was an animal!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM
sdnitro

I just figured when you are using two difs the power is divided in  half between two diffs.  When you eliminate one diff all the power will be

transfered to one diff instead of two.  I agree with redcat derek the transfer case will want to power the path of least resistance which would be

the front diff.  I don't know  a easy way to lock this but i am sure someone does.  I have an earthquake 3.5 and i have a hard time keeping diffs in

that thing and it is set up stock.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Savy92
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: formula87

Well or you could do what I did and do the 17mm swap and buggie wheels/tires and make it a Backdraft. No more wheelies and handles way better!!! But with the big wheels and tires it was cool because when you punched it was an animal!!!
I wish that were true, but my backdraft wheelies every time if you punch the throttle...not like a earthquake or anything but it brings the wheels a good 5 to 6 inchs off the ground
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
tpawyant

ORIGINAL: catbob007

If you did your diffs like in my diff thread You wouldent have to worry about diffs wearing out.

Can you post me a link to your diff thread please???

THanks
Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
98cruiser

@sdnitro, Well it easy to lock the center diff, on my 8E I just opened it up and cleaned out as much diff fluid I could andfilled it withsome epoxy, changed the spure and pinion gear ratio and he is a fukin BEAST!!!! I wipped the Traxxass car like 5 times before running head first into a damn telephone pole..lmaolmao Well granted it was a nitro car so compared to electric off the line nitro sleeps with out a good reaction time, but he still couldn't catch me>>>well back to the drawing board, but yes Im going to remove my front shaft and since my center diffs are lock, it should give a better reaction time andupgrade to 1.5 17mm wheel extensions with the HPI chrome wheel with Phatline low profile tires.................Illl keep you guys posted........Kurt from www.URChobby.com told me and supplied me with the gearsI needed tochange.............Kurt is the Sh!!!!t....you