Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Rampage MT issue and reccomendation

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Rampage MT issue and reccomendation

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 AM
mjp777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rampage MT issue and reccomendation

Hi everyone..First post on here on RC Universe.
After much research I settled on a Redcat Rampage MT V3 for my first 1.5 th scale vehicle.Yesterday, I unboxed it set it up installed a Spketrum DSX3S radio and off I went to a parking lot for a gentle break in run.About 10 min into it I was extremely thankful I opted to replace the stock radio and go with a 3<sup>rd</sup> channel for a kill switch.For some unknown reason a fire started in the on off switch burning up the power cables on both sides going to the battery and going to the receiver.Once the receiver was destroyed, the kill switch kicked in and immediately killed the engine.I chose a killer bee v1 from http://www.killerrc.com.I chose it mainly because of the how to videos on the site and the multitude of other guys out there with the same radio as me in the forum which made installation and configuration a snap.I am figuring since the receiver died and I saw the throttle server frozen at about half throttle (where I was holding it when the engine died) without that kill switch I would have had my 1<sup>st</sup> runaway inside the 1<sup>st</sup> 10 min of my first tank .As for my RMT I called support when I got home and they had never heard of anything like this happening.They asked I ship them the components including the servos for evaluation.I overnighted them because I am hoping I will get them or replacements back before I go on vacation.The spot we are heading to has an RC park AND a BMX track .
Has anyone ever heard of an electrical malfunction like this?I tested the thing quite a bit setting up the kill switch and binding the radio.I probably had the truck and radio switched on for 10 min or so on the bench before the run setting it up and checking operation of the failsafe and kill switch. Once I got there I tested it with the engine running to be sure the failsafe engaged properly and the kill switch actually killed the engine.With the exception of a few threads here I have heard good things about redcat support so hopefully I will be back up and running next week.
Thanks for reading!
Mike
Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rampage MT issue and reccomendation

Hey Mike, sory to hear of the problem... I have had nothing but fantastic service from Red Cat with anything I have sent in. They always replaced any component I've sent in the next day. Billy, Chris and the whole gang at Red Cat are wonderful to deal with! But I have to give props to my FAVORITE Red Cat dealer, Kurt from URCHobby.com! I'm sure the boys will take care of your problem pronto!!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM
mjp777

Hi and thanks for responding. Thats what Ihave heard for the most part. Hearing that they stand behind theor products gave me a better comfort level buying a Redcat. Ijut hope Ican get this figured out with them in time for vacation!

Mike
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
mjp777

Spoke to Chris @ Redcat.  They got my parts today and they were too far gone to pinpoint the root cause of the issue.  The power cables to and from the power switch were completely destroyed.  The battery had a hole burned in it and the reciever looke like someone burnt some brownies.  I am happy to say replacements are on the way no questions asked and should arrive in time for me to take the truck on vacation. 

Thanks Redcat Support for the super speedy turn around!

Thanks all

Mike

Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 AM
rokit_armor

Maybe you shouldn't hook up flamethrowers on an RC truck
Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 AM
mjp777

LOL But the kids love toasting marshmallows with it!!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 AM
mjp777

Update on parts :

Got replacement parts yesterday from Redcat after the fire in the electronics box. Installed them today and attempted to finish the breakin tank. The truck really is solid. Having moved up from 1/8 scale it is a ton of fun to drive even just puttering around in the street at 50% throttle. Unfortunately, both of the steering servos died with in 3 min of each other. I thought for sure I screwed up and did something wrong but when i hit my LHS for replacements we pulled it apart and 2 chips had fallen off the circuit board in the servo. Called Redcat again, and to their credit replacements were sent out this afternoon.   Anyone else have issues like this?

Mike
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
mjp777

I went through my third set of stock steering servos last week.  Was on vacation got replacements for the second set, bolted them up and they lasted about 15 min.  They died one after the other then a fire started again in the box.  I was sure after the second set I was doing something wrong.  I am not new to RC but new to 5<sup>th</sup> scale.  I had the guy @ my LHS check my connections and configuration with the 3<sup>rd</sup> channel Killer B v1 I have and he could not find a reason this is happening outside of some very poor quality steering servos.  And by the way no issues at all with the T/B servo.  I took apart one of the second set of steering servos I was sent while I was  in the store with him and two chips had come off the board.  I mean just broke loose and were floating around inside the servo they came unsoldered right off the board.  I haven’t broken open the third set yet but one of them is making the same sound when it is shaken. 

So I have a killer bee v1 and contacted Kent over there and he does not believe there is any way the kill switch could be doing this.  Has anyone else had such terrible luck with these stock servos or had problems like this?  I am getting to the point where I feel like I need to wear a helmet when I leave the house J  I came from Nitro and have very little experience using a kill switch.  When testing everything out of the truck the switch , servos and the failsafe in the radio (Spektrum DSX3R) work as I expect them to. 

Redcat has been great so far sending replacements.  They have now requested I send all of the parts back including the kill switch  and the receiver which I managed to save it this time.  I was running with the lid off and watching it closely.  I am going to mail everything tomorrow.  I have a set of Hi-Tecs I picked up today and  started making mods to bolt them on but at this point I am going to wait to see what redcat says before I risk destroying the new servos.  I am inclined to agree with Redcat… from their perspective three pairs of bad steering servos?  That is unlikely and unlucky (thus the helmet).  Furthermore, they said don’t risk those new Hi-tecs until they can get a look at things and identify a root cause (rule out the kill switch and receiver I guess).  The kill switch is original the receiver is new as the first fire ate the last one. 

Its been a rocky start but I will say those guys at Redcat support have been very accommodating and I feel are genuinely interested in seeing this through and getting me up and running. 

STILL waiting to start shredding with my Ramp

Mike

Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM
hhvg

Ithink everyone ditches the stock servos thr/br and steering right away. I didnt want to bring this up because everyones going to say Im bashing spektrum but here goes. I tried dx2,dx2.0,dx3,dx3.0, and dx3r with at least 15 different recievers and burnt up at least 7 servos. Digital and analolg, 1/8,1/10, and 1/5. I thought it was me for the longest time BUT I switched to airtronics 2.4 and havent burned one up since! Might be worth looking into if your new servos fry. Im stating facts not opinions here so spektrum lovers please dont give me grief.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
mjp777

I appreciate the input and the experience.  I hope no one gives you greif.  If it is the reciever I hope they find it.  I will see about returning it and getting an airtronics.  I am willing to do just about anything for a week of trouble free operation at this point. 

Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
hhvg

If your not burning out servos w/your other vehicels/spektrum maybe its notthe spektrum? Futaba is also good so they say but I havent tried it yet. If you get an airtronics you might want a mx3 fg or x because it has the perfect location for a 3rd channel kill switch. The airtronics sport 3rd channel botton sucks for a killswitch.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
rob64n

well to start off with burnin up servosi have went through 4 spectrum receivers myself and one did cost me servos, they said my receiver was fine and sent it back, hooked it up and it wouldn't work they argued with me and said if they paperwork said it worked then it works, i hungup called backed talked to someone else they sent me a new one, so far it works. but still i will be switching back to futaba.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 PM
mjp777

I am seeing about swapping at the LHS where I got it for an Airtronics or Futaba.  I dont want to have this thing eat the new set of hi-tecs I have.  Still going to send the parts to redcat.  It would be nice if they could find a smoking gun. 
Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM
smoedog

First off as far as the servos, ditch the stock ones and pickup a set of hitec hs-805bb, they are only 40 bux a piece and are 100x better than the stock steering servos. once you get them get a servo y harness. what you'll do is take the stock servo harness and plug it a female plug of the new y harness. you'll then plug the battery cable from the on/off switch and plug it into the other female end of the new y harness. then plug the male end of the new harness into your steering channel on the receiver.

what this does is lets your steering servos pull current straight from the battery, and not have to pull it through the receiver, but you'll still be powering your receiver through your steering channel. Another bonus is your new steering servos will get a full 6 volts instead of the 4.8v they were getting from the receiver, so they will be faster and have more torque. Also ditch the stock on off switch and get a good heavy duty switch.

Here is a site talking about the y-harness setup
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...2_Harness.html

let me know if you got any questions. I went thru these same issues with my TT and haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
mjp777

Smoedog,

Thanks so much for the information.  This has been killing me for 3 weeks since I got the MT.  I will definitely try this.  I actually already have the Hitecs you are talking about.  In the process of fitting them onto the truck this week.  What radio are you using?  And if you dont mind what would be a good heavy duty power switch for a vehicle like this?

Thanks!!

Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
smoedog

no problem, i wouldn't even bother putting in the new servos till you get the switch. I think my stock one shorted and and caused the demise of my second stock servo.

this is the one I am using. I like it cuz it has a built in charging port.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPNU3

And im still using the stock radio and failsafe.

Stick with it, i was getting annoyed with the problems i was having with mine but once i got the steering servo issue worked out i've had a blast.

I did finally melt down the stock gears but i was drifting around the local rc tracks oval course for 15 minutes straight lol
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
mjp777

I was mistaken.  i have the 805MGs.  Interestingly enough both hitec and Tower Hobbies say quite clearly that the servos should not be hooked to the receiver but powered directly from the battery using the supplied Y harness.  343oz of torque @ 6.0 V is gonna be sweet!  I e-mailed mike @ Redcat and let him know.  They have had very few issues like ours but I am wondering now if the root cause of my issue in particular was the Spektrum receiver in combination with the stock servos hooked directly to it.  I am going to run with the stock radio and failsafe (with the servos powered directly from the receiver) then add the spektrum once it comes back from the shop (had some LCD issues) then if that all goes well add my 3rd channel kill switch back which I must add has saved my bacon TWICE now from having a run away. 

Thanks to everyone in this thread who has provided their input I really appreciate the help!!

isn't this supposed to be a FUN hobby???

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM
smoedog

So your gonna go back to the stock radio, and run 2 805mg's thru the receiver?

Your gonna burn up the reciever, trust me i went thru 3 of them before i fixed the power issues (cheap switch, and y harness)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
mjp777

Nope going back to stock with the Y harness no steering servos connected to the receiver directly.  
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
smoedog

ah gotcha, you had me worried.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Jgilk1

i guess i have to chime in here....

you have 2 steering servos (which we all know pull a **** tone of power) the stock spectrum receiver only pulls 4.8v @ we will say 100kv respectably... this is not good i cant say whether the stock steering servos are good or not (haven't had the money to pick up a mt yet hopefully for my birthday or so says the gf)

but in a car audio setup if a sub woofer says minimum it requires 700w rms and you try to power it with 400s rms (under power) your going to blow the high end out of the subwoofer and thus why your setting your receiver on fire and burning up the steering servos... imho

pulling that much load through a receiver was never intended
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
smoedog

ORIGINAL: Jgilk1

i guess i have to chime in here....

you have 2 steering servos (which we all know pull a **** tone of power) the stock spectrum receiver only pulls 4.8v @ we will say 100kv respectably... this is not good i cant say whether the stock steering servos are good or not (haven't had the money to pick up a mt yet hopefully for my birthday or so says the gf)

but in a car audio setup if a sub woofer says minimum it requires 700w rms and you try to power it with 400s rms (under power) your going to blow the high end out of the subwoofer and thus why your setting your receiver on fire and burning up the steering servos... imho

pulling that much load through a receiver was never intended
which as discussed before you run the servos of a y-harness so you do power the servos straight from the battery
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
hhvg

Ive always run 1/5 single and dual steering servos straight from the 5 cell NIMH battery as well. I connect mine like this: pull the signal wire out and plug that into the the rx (you can use use a new plastic end) but the + and - go straight to the battery. Use a Y if youre running 2 servos. I find even though yes 2 servos are faster only one good digital is needed and ways less.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 AM
smoedog

You can do that with the signal wire, but I like just running the y from the battery straight to the steering channel on the receiver. less clutter, more durable if your constantly removing the receiver, plus 3 pins holding the plug on instead of one.