Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My aftershock 3.5 experience!!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 AM
GamerKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My aftershock 3.5 experience!!

I got my aftershock 3.5 from UPS yesterday at about 2:30pm. The night before I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was forgetting something or didn't have something I needed. I finally ended up going to sleep and woke up two hours later at 1:30 to go get some lock-tite and a few groceries before the truck came. About 10 minutes after I got home the truck arrived, I took it out of the box and was amazed at the size and quality of it. I then proceeded to adjust the gear mesh ( which was quite a bit off), tighten all the screw with lock-tite and applied air filter oil. I took it outside to start the break in process, I checked the throttle linkage and the carb settings and actually richened it up a bit to be on the safe side. After about 15 pulls I got it started and set the idle a little higher because it kept dieing out and let it idle for one tank, let it cool and did the next 5 break in tanks. I did notice that when I hit the throttle for a while and let off the engine would be at a higher rpm then drop down after a second or two I don't know if this is normal but didn't bother me too much. Being that we had alot of rain this month I just kept it on the road and saw how it performed there. Street wise it did alot better than I thought it would, I just had to be careful coming out of the turns as it would get very loose at high throttle which is normal. I think getting some more direct contact street tires would be alot better, I was looking at getting some anaconda rears on all corners and maybe retrofit some jato shocks for a lower profile and tighter turns. I ended up running about 10 tanks through it including the break in tanks and everything held together great. I have some slash tires on the way and am thinking about competing in the local fair race next weekend if everything holds up and nitro is permitted. All and all it went way better than I anticipated, from reading around the forums people where talking about alot of different things breaking and spur gear issues. I would recommend this truck to anyway who wants to get into the short course class of trucks, it is alot of fun and so far it is holding up to the abuse.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Mickstix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My aftershock 3.5 experience!!

Congrats on your new ride!Sounds like you did it the right way!! Reading up on the model, and doing some pre-run maintenance and mods willgo a long way in keeping these things running properly and not breaking down so much! I wish more people would take the extra steps to check/set gearmesh, tighten screws, use loctite, etc, etc,before going out bashing.. They say ready to run, but that's really not the case at all.. But glad yer having fun with it!! Keep us posted!!