Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Lipo batt problem in my Earthquake 8e???

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Lipo batt problem in my Earthquake 8e???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
formula87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo batt problem in my Earthquake 8e???

My 3200mah stock lipos have had about 10-15 charges (6mos old)on them using the stock wall charger and I had a partial charge on them (didn't run all the way down)and came back after about 5 days an one of the lipos just split the case apart and one cell inside is kinda spongy???? anyone else have a prob like this with the stock batterys???
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM
hhvg

Default RE: Lipo batt problem in my Earthquake 8e???

Sounds like a unsafe condition to me! A puffed battery is dangerous. Not sure how you condition your packs but you have to be very careful to run both packs fully charged. For example if you had one fully charged pack you can not run it with a 1/2 charged pack. They need to be ran at the same level. Is it possible thats what caused you pack to puff?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: hhvg

Sounds like a unsafe condition to me! A puffed battery is dangerous. Not sure how you condition your packs but you have to be very careful to run both packs fully charged. For example if you had one fully charged pack you can not run it with a 1/2 charged pack. They need to be ran at the same level. Is it possible thats what caused you pack to puff?

No both had a full charge and I had run about half of the run time and shut down, only to come back to a busted case and one of the cells was puffed up. Don't know if Redcat can help I had some drivetrain issues and a charger issue and they stepped up so I may drop them a line.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM
hhvg

The Earthquake 8e stock setup is really beyond its limits in my opinion. It has several things working against it:

1. 3200mah (3.2amp hours) X 20 is only 64 amps. I have not eagle tree'd it yet but Id guess itsaverages at least 80 and peaks maybe 120 onthe stockearthquake.Ive tested several sytems so thats an educated guess. When I get some time Ill teagle tree it with the stock setup and batts. Fix: get higher amp batteries or lower kv motor and read 2. and 3. below.
2. Thestock esc settingfortiming advaceis 15 degrees. Fix: Bump that down to0 degrees.
3. The stock heavy and large diameter tires havea ton of rotating mass and the large diameter is like running a large pinion. Try proline 30 series badlands to remedy this.

The backdraft and aftershock are a lot more friendly on the batteries so after changing the gearing on them I think the stock batts would be fine. The Earthquake already has the smallest gears already I beleive so you have to look for other ways to lower the amps. I will eagle tree all 3 8es in stock form with stock batts when I get a chance