Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Custom bodies

I had painted the first body for my earthquake 3.0 and now the body is destroyed from rollovers.
    The paint had some major problems. First, it mottled a TON even though I used the correct products and enough flash time between coats (I'm a professional auto body repair/painter) and flaked off the body really bad.
    Do you paint the inside of the shell?
    Do you use a plastic adhesion promotor first?
    Sand/scuff the body first?

I never was really good at painting plastics other than automotive ABS stuff.

I was hopeing to use the HPI grave robber shell but it's only 1/10 scale, lame.

Also, I can't find a cheap mazda R7 FC3S body anywhere, just a yokomo 190mm one for $60. I plan on getting a lightning and putting an FC body on it, since i'm too broke for a real FC at the moment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Custom bodies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, paint the inside of the shell.. Make sure it's clean by using a mild soap/water solution to remove any grease or release agent.. Also using paint made for lexan will adhere the best..
    Mick Nesevitch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

10/4 I'll pick up some PPG wax n grease remover, it doesn't leave any residue at all unlike soap and water.  Perhaps a light scuffing with some medium 3M sanding pads will help give it some tooth.   I had no idea the bodies were lexan, I thought they were polyethylene or polyacrylic not a polycarbonate.  It definitely helps to know what kind of substrate you're working with lol.