Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Custom bodies

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 AM
rokit_armor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom bodies

I had painted the first body for my earthquake 3.0 and now the body is destroyed from rollovers.
The paint had some major problems. First, it mottled a TON even though I used the correct products and enough flash time between coats (I'm a professional auto body repair/painter) and flaked off the body really bad.
Do you paint the inside of the shell?
Do you use a plastic adhesion promotor first?
Sand/scuff the body first?

I never was really good at painting plastics other than automotive ABS stuff.

I was hopeing to use the HPI grave robber shell but it's only 1/10 scale, lame.

Also, I can't find a cheap mazda R7 FC3S body anywhere, just a yokomo 190mm one for $60. I plan on getting a lightning and putting an FC body on it, since i'm too broke for a real FC at the moment.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 PM
rokit_armor

Default RE: Custom bodies

This guy makes me envious
http://www.radiocontrolleddepot.com/...s-rc-drift-car
Old 08-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Mickstix

Yes, paint the inside of the shell.. Make sure it's clean by using a mild soap/water solution to remove any grease or release agent.. Also using paint made for lexan will adhere the best..
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM
rokit_armor

10/4 I'll pick up some PPG wax n grease remover, it doesn't leave any residue at all unlike soap and water.  Perhaps a light scuffing with some medium 3M sanding pads will help give it some tooth.   I had no idea the bodies were lexan, I thought they were polyethylene or polyacrylic not a polycarbonate.  It definitely helps to know what kind of substrate you're working with lol.