Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Why are glow plugs still from the 1800's

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Why are glow plugs still from the 1800's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 AM
justavillain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why are glow plugs still from the 1800's

but with today's technology we have spell checkers.  and of course nothing beats proof reading.  But this isn't a personal attack.  It allows you to have a rant that makes sense.

Glow plugs suck.  So does buying nitro and tuning them every other day/week this time of the year.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
tylerjackson
My Feedback: (1)

And what exactly do you work on to make that kind of money?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
rjsdad

tylerjackson that was my question as well.

If I made that kind of money I can't say that I would buy a redcat. There are other manufactures out there that sells, a better product.

My neighbor is a mechanic and works for Lexus. He makes good money, but not that good; being a mechanic your comparison between a diesel and nitro engine was off and not one that a mechanic would use.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
buggyboy2010

Same here, My old man was head mechanic for a GM dealership for 25years and never came close to thoes numbers..

But maybe that shirt cost 250$ who knows

ORIGINAL: rjsdad

tylerjackson that was my question as well.

If I made that kind of money I can't say that I would buy a redcat. There are other manufactures out there that sells, a better product.

My neighbor is a mechanic and works for Lexus. He makes good money, but not that good; being a mechanic your comparison between a diesel and nitro engine was off and not one that a mechanic would use.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: catbob007

Ok i am not a mechanic i have been making 80K tom 100K a year for the past 15 years pretending to be a mechanic People, walks like a duck Quacks like a duck.
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...echanic/Salary

Unless he's a celebrity diesel mechanic ?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the day when we first started using Glow plugs for model airplanes Champion made them. They were so good that Champion stopped making them as they lasted forever. I have three Champion Glow plus that still work.. I bought my first Glow Plugs in 1949.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

"These are not sylicone micro chips"

That kid is so funny.

I don't have any real complaint about durability or cost of glow plugs (except the ones i bought from mexico).
Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 PM
msrfrog1

Just for the record flat techs can make well over a 100k a year. Ever notice how much it cost when you bring your car in for service?
I do well as a hyundai tech. But anyway glow plugs do aggravate me too. And $35 a gallon fuel. I hope I spelled everything correctly.lol

Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: msrfrog1

Just for the record flat techs can make well over a 100k a year. Ever notice how much it cost when you bring your car in for service?
I do well as a Hyundai tech. But anyway glow plugs do aggravate me too. And $35 a gallon fuel. I hope I spelled everything correctly.lol

My brother is a Mitsubishi technician ASE certified (since1989) and the top tech where he worked at until he was laid-off; at one point Mitsubishi was #2 in the country as far as sales and the most he ever made was like $70K (yearly) and this was with quite a bit of over time and the dealer (Biggers Mitsubishi) he worked at sold a lot of cars.
In fact they laid him off more than likely because he was making too much money; he was making more than the service manager.
To make that much (over a 100k a year) you probably need a ton of jobs lined up on your job/time ticket and work a whole lot of overtime.
And the way the economy is right now I doubt it; all I here from my brother nowadays is that he is not making (squat) nearly as much as he was before.
By the way my bro just bought a Hyundai Sonata and has a friend who has been a Hyundai tech for 10+ years.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 PM
buggyboy2010

That's a commercial mech' Your thinking and what Your doing is commercial to, This is speaking more on the lines of self-owned mech's like " Roy's Auto Shop".. Not.. "Honda certified/dealership" mech'.. Even where I live, The biggest shop in town employes don't make even close to 50k-60k a year.. The guy who owns it makes maybe 100k and he sits no his butt all day

ORIGINAL: msrfrog1

I do well as a hyundai tech. But anyway glow plugs do aggravate me too. And $35 a gallon fuel. I hope I spelled everything correctly.lol

Old 09-25-2010, 11:00 PM
catbob007

Caterpillar diesel technician "Cat Bob" cat diesel. Heavy equipment trchnician I am moving to North Dakota to work for a major John Deere dealorship.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:02 PM
catbob007

Well when you make 25 bucks an hour + overtime 18 hors a dau 5 days a week it adds up pretty quick with bonuses
Old 09-25-2010, 11:13 PM
catbob007

100K is an understatement almost 4K a week dude do the math Arizona was rocken for the past 10 years now jobs are nill to non existant. so gotta go where the $ is
Old 09-26-2010, 07:15 AM
rjbarthel

Ok guys I spent 15+ yrs as a mech 5 yrs at a chevy dealer and 8 yrs at a cad buick olds and mazda dealer. and a few yrs at a construcion company as thier mech . for starters spelling and puckuations are not a requiared subject for completing a trade school associates degree. luck for me hahaha .
as for making them kinda numbers I was itting close to 50K back in the late 80s just off the 5.7 and 4.3 gm diesels hahaha loved them but after market warrenties and gm quitting the 5.7 and 4.3 took a major hit to my income . But even today a mech and I mean a good one who owns his own shop can well exceed 100k .
Glow plugs in a diesel are there only to start a cold engine after that they may cycle on and off a few time till the enging warms up and then they are off the rest of the time ! a nitro glowplug is electircly heated for starting them the reaction to the fuel and platnum keep it glowing after its hot meaning its working 100 % of its runnning time . spark plugs have nothing in common with glowplugs . just my .05 cents worth .
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

triple post FTW.